• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080Ti or wait....

Associate
Are we really buying the "our next card is gonna be 70% faster" from Nvidia?

I have had to claim on insurance for a new graphics card and although the 2080Ti is probably more than enough, I always want more if available.
So with this apparent announcement about to be made should I just wait or buy the current model?

I do have use of a 2060 super to see me through but I am quite impatient with money, I have to spend it!

What I am getting at is; is there any significant confirmed news I may have missed that might change my mind either way?

Dont really fancy AMD to be fair unless again I have missed some news. The 5700XT does not offer enough for me and price per performance is not something i'm bothered about either. I want raw beans in the tank!

OCUK have the STRIX for £1200... seems the prices have not dropped at all, still super expensive but coming from a 1080ti I would want to see those gains.

Cheers

Associate
I'd wait but then I'm patient! You're bound to get a bit more performance for the same money when the new cards are out, but it's not going to be in the region of 70%. Nvidia are unchallenged at the top end so I think they'll only offer a modest increase with the new cards. If you buy a 2080ti now will you be happy no longer having the best card later in the year? If it doesn't bother you then you might as well buy now and enjoy.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's. tough one. On one hand I am happy to wait if there was solid news, but as usual we have to base decisions of rumors. I know the business models work this way so nothing is likely to change there anytime soon but often some leaks are reliable, especially from reputable sources. (I haven't seen any solid ones thus far)
The 2060S I pinched from my wife's computer as I game more than her but it also means we cannot game together while I wait. Ill give it another month I think and if no news at that point I will buy. I think the suggestion that the 2080ti is not a huge jump from a 1080ti is news that has swayed me more than the timeline has. I guess I could have youtubed that myself though! haha

Thanks guys.

Soldato
really? that's interesting to know, I thought it would be a huge jump.

2080Ti is only about 30% faster than a 1080Ti (stock for stock). Whether that's worth it is obviously subjective.

If you have use of a 2060S then no way would I be buying anything now. At least wait a month until GTC2020 to see what NVidia are hinting at there.

Associate
OP
2080Ti is only about 30% faster than a 1080Ti (stock for stock). Whether that's worth it is obviously subjective.

If you have use of a 2060S then no way would I be buying anything now. At least wait a month until GTC2020 to see what NVidia are hinting at there.

I will wait until GTC has been and gone and decide after, think that is the best option.

Associate
You could wait but who knows how much the next gen will be. Probably even more than present.

I would wait until news of the next gen then get the 2080ti when prices drop before the release of the new cards.

Associate
OP
I pretty much agree with what’s being said. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else.
If the consensus was “nah go out and buy” I reckon I would’ve been buying today though !

Soldato
the 3***series of cards will be similar cost to the current ones. Nvidia don't do cheaper next gen cards.

GTX 980 was cheaper than GTX 780
GTX 480 was cheaper than GTX 280

All depends on market pressures at the time so, if AMD can offer some decent competition, prices may well come down.

Back
Top Bottom