• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080Ti or wait....

Soldato
GTX 980 was cheaper than GTX 780
GTX 480 was cheaper than GTX 280

All depends on market pressures at the time so, if AMD can offer some decent competition, prices may well come down.

This was before Nvidia realised they would get away with charging £1k for a card. Albeit the original Titan was around the time of the 780.
With no AMD card able to match the ultra top end, Nvidia will continue to charge the max for those cards and people will be daft enough to buy them. If AMD DO have a card that will be close to the top end, then they too will charge a massive amount for it. High priced GPUs are here to stay.

Associate
I sold my 1080ti recently and managed to snag an almost new EVGA 2080ti xc ultra for slightly over €1000 (< £900). I wanted it for VR use (sim racing) and for my ultrawide which gave a nice lift in performance
in both cases. The cost to upgrade wasn't massive so I don't regret it even though new cards are on the horizon this year.

Soldato
If AMD DO have a card that will be close to the top end, then they too will charge a massive amount for it.

Of course they won't, competition always brings down prices as they compete with each other for market share.

If AMD can compete again then the same thing will happen as is happening in the CPU space where Ryzen is forcing Intel to move. Their upcoming Comet Lake desktop chips will offer similar performance to the previous generation but at significantly lower prices, as a direct result of AMD's competition.
Threadripper has also resulted in Intel literally halving the price of their competing CPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course they won't, competition always brings down prices as they compete with each other for market share.

If AMD can compete again then the same thing will happen as is happening in the CPU space where Ryzen is forcing Intel to move. Their upcoming Comet Lake desktop chips will offer similar performance to the previous generation but at significantly lower prices, as a direct result of AMD's competition.
Threadripper has also resulted in Intel literally halving the price of their competing CPUs.

AMD > INTEL is not the same as AMD > NVIDIA - Two different companies.

Nvidia are greedy. I'll wait and see how it pans out but I think the RTX3*** cards will be same or more expensive as the current RTX2*** cards

Soldato
Every company is greedy, especially when they have the market cornered.
A lot of People are also greedy

Would someone sell something for say £600 when they know people are willing to buy it for £1000 ;)
For Example Just take a look at the prices many people want for a secondhand 1080ti or 2080ti

Company's are no different to people they both try getting the highest price they can for whatever there selling

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD > INTEL is not the same as AMD > NVIDIA - Two different companies.

Ok what about the "Super" cards? NVidia offered better performance for the same money or similar performance for less money, in direct response to AMD competition.

Nvidia are greedy. I'll wait and see how it pans out but I think the RTX3*** cards will be same or more expensive as the current RTX2*** cards

They're not "greedy" at all, they're a business who have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise the return on their investment. This is done by carefully balancing price and market share. It's no good charging the earth if no one buys it, nor is it any good giving stuff away cheap, you need to find the balance given the current market conditions.

Soldato
Ok what about the "Super" cards? NVidia offered better performance for the same money or similar performance for less money, in direct response to AMD competition.
They could have offered that straight from the off but they didn't. They released a cut down version to fleece the early adopters, like they do with all the recent gen stuff, THEN they released the proper card. I know they are a business but they have history for dishonesty and snide corporate tactics that I don't like. I've had their cards before, as far back as the 8800 and although their cards work fine, I don't like them as a business.

They're not "greedy" at all, they're a business who have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise the return on their investment. This is done by carefully balancing price and market share. It's no good charging the earth if no one buys it, nor is it any good giving stuff away cheap, you need to find the balance given the current market conditions.

Carefully balancing price? You call a £1200 **80Ti model carefully balancing price? Nvidia push the boundaries for pricing every generation and people still are stupid enough to buy them, so they do it again the next generation...and people are stupid enough to buy them...and they push the pricing up again the next gen....etc. This has a knock on effect in driving ALL SKU's pricing up and that effects the "average Joe" buyer.

I know what you mean though, I suppose the consumer is partially to blame too, for buying the most expensive cards, for their e-peen and forum sigs. If a business keeps pricing higher cards to see what that limit is and people still buy them, then there's nothing to stop them keeping increasing prices until people stop buying them. I just wish AMD would get their rears in order and make an impact. With their vastly smaller R&D budged than Nvidias, it's hard, I get that.

Associate
But when? We have no idea really even if there will be new cards this year, do we?
Carefully balancing price? You call a £1200 **80Ti model carefully balancing price? Nvidia push the boundaries for pricing every generation and people still are stupid enough to buy them

That's exactly what is meant, yes, structured pricing such that you get maximum profit out of the market. Every company does it, even more so if they have an effective monopoly. This isn't nvidia being uniquely evil, it's how everyone operates, all the time. It's known as 'business'.

Caporegime
really? that's interesting to know, I thought it would be a huge jump.

The 20 series cards are very weird.

The 2060 super - too expensive for what you get.

2070 - best value for money
2070 super - second best value for money.

2080's - All of them overpriced marginal improvement over a 2070 super but up to 3 times the price.

I mean £1200 vs £400 for a 2070 super. You would need your head checked to be buying a 2080ti.

Soldato
They could have offered that straight from the off but they didn't. They released a cut down version to fleece the early adopters, like they do with all the recent gen stuff, THEN they released the proper card. I know they are a business but they have history for dishonesty and snide corporate tactics that I don't like. I've had their cards before, as far back as the 8800 and although their cards work fine, I don't like them as a business..

You think AMD aren't going to screw you when they get the chance? Look at the 7970 launch for example. They were first to market and released the 7970, a mid range card, for $549. Then a few months later released a superior version, the 7970 Ghz edition, for cheaper.

There are other examples of AMD releasing slightly updated cards after the first gen. The Rx 470/480 was released then they came out with the Rx 570/580 less than a year later. The 570/580 cards were just a mildly overclocked 470/480s with some of the issues fixed. That sounds exactly like what Nvidia have done with Turing with the Super cards, apart form one small difference, the super cards were cheaper than the non super cards.

As for dishonesty, lol, you got to be kidding me. Both companies are as bad as each other. AMD/ATI were caught just as many times as Nvidia cheating on benchmarks. AMD have been in Lawsuits just like Nvidia. The latest one they paid out was $30 million. And they have stretched the truth just as much as Nvidia. "Overclocker's Dream" "Poor Volta" do these ring any bells? What about before the Polaris launch when they showed graphs that made it look like the 480 in crossfire would be way faster than the 1080. After that Gibbo had to post in the thread to calm everyone down because people were starting to think it would be faster than the 980ti.

Or what about the Vega launch? A year late, just about keeping up with last years cards, but way more expensive. All their talk about these cards been for gamers and the steps they were taking to make them unattractive for miners. HaHa, all lies, at the same time they were saying that, they were also writing special blockchain drivers for Vega cards. Yes, they were so concerned about Gamers that they didn't bother fixing the launch driver problems, instead concentrating firstly on writing blockchain drivers for the miners.

AMD, Microsoft, Nvidia, Google, Apple, Intel etc. etc. They are all multinationals, they are all out to screw you for as much money as they can.

Soldato
We're due a 7nm process shrink from Nvidea. And I expect better connectivity in the form of HDMI 2.1.

I wouldn't have upgraded to the 2000 series if my 1080ti hadn't died and I received a 2080 replacement.

PC building is becoming a rich mans hobby with the rising costs. Both Graphics card manufacturers are responsible as well as the consumers paying over the odds.

Soldato
You think AMD aren't going to screw you when they get the chance? Look at the 7970 launch for example. They were first to market and released the 7970, a mid range card, for $549. Then a few months later released a superior version, the 7970 Ghz edition, for cheaper.

As I remember it, the 7970 was a genuine high-end product and it was Nvidea who released the mid-range (going by the die size, memory bus, VRAM amount) 680 to compete with it. Holding back the true high end card, the OG Titan until later. Inventing a new price tier for it, of course.

Soldato
Carefully balancing price? You call a £1200 **80Ti model carefully balancing price? Nvidia push the boundaries for pricing every generation and people still are stupid enough to buy them, so they do it again the next generation...and people are stupid enough to buy them...and they push the pricing up again the next gen....etc. This has a knock on effect in driving ALL SKU's pricing up and that effects the "average Joe" buyer.

I know what you mean though, I suppose the consumer is partially to blame too, for buying the most expensive cards, for their e-peen and forum sigs. If a business keeps pricing higher cards to see what that limit is and people still buy them, then there's nothing to stop them keeping increasing prices until people stop buying them. I just wish AMD would get their rears in order and make an impact. With their vastly smaller R&D budged than Nvidias, it's hard, I get that.

You're contradicting yourself now. You claim that they're not balancing price versus sales AND that people are "stupid enough" to buy them. If people are still buying them at the higher prices, why should they price them lower? They've balanced the sales/demand versus the price.

It's becoming quite clear you have an issue with NVidia as a company. You obviously think that any company charging more than what you personally consider reasonable are "fleecing" customers and that anyone who dares to pay these prices is "stupid".

Associate
The 20 series cards are very weird.
I mean £1200 vs £400 for a 2070 super. You would need your head checked to be buying a 2080ti.

Well, you can get 2080 Ti for about £900-£950 now, if you shop around. Personally I'm using mine for machine learning experimentation as well as gaming at 4k. AFAICT there's reallyt no other game in town for that. Mine is a company asset though, and the effective cost to me was around £500, which changes the maths quite considerably.

Soldato
You would need your head checked to be buying a 2080ti.

Surely someone with a good job earning around £100,000 per year would be very happy to buy a 2080ti. No head checking needed.

Premium cards aren't aimed at the average Joe on average wages.

Even 1080 ti prices, it always amazed me when an average person in an old fiesta pulled up to buy one.

Soldato
As I remember it, the 7970 was a genuine high-end product and it was Nvidea who released the mid-range (going by the die size, memory bus, VRAM amount) 680 to compete with it. Holding back the true high end card, the OG Titan until later. Inventing a new price tier for it, of course.

Nope, the 7970 was a midrange part. It wasn't that much faster than the 6970 it replaced, it was only 15% faster than the GTX 580. That's why Nvidia were able to compete with it using their mid range card. Think how different it might have been if AMD had released the 7970 at $399 and the Ghz edition at $429

Nvidia must have been laughing when they saw the 7970's price. It meant they could launch their mid range part at high end prices.

Soldato
Surely someone with a good job earning around £100,000 per year would be very happy to buy a 2080ti. No head checking needed.

Premium cards aren't aimed at the average Joe on average wages.

Even 1080 ti prices, it always amazed me when an average person in an old fiesta pulled up to buy one.

Exactly. We all know the price to performance ratio gets worse the closer you get to the flagship model. That won't stop me getting a 3080ti though, I want the best performance and that's all there is to it.

Back
Top Bottom