• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080Ti or wait....

Soldato
Nope, the 7970 was a midrange part. It wasn't that much faster than the 6970 it replaced, it was only 15% faster than the GTX 580. That's why Nvidia were able to compete with it using their mid range card. Think how different it might have been if AMD had released the 7970 at $399 and the Ghz edition at $429

Nvidia must have been laughing when they saw the 7970's price. It meant they could launch their mid range part at high end prices.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. the 7970 was the high end in the metrics I said before. die size, memory bus, VRAM amount. Was there a higher card held back and released later? Nope and the dual gpu 7990 doesn't count.

They were too conservative with the clock speeds at launch and it cost them. The cards would do 1200 core routinely with good cooling and an overclock.

Caporegime
cheapest 2070s I see on here is £450 and cheapest 2080ti £990

So almost 2x the price

they were £400 in December and £450-£470 on black friday with a free game you could sell on MM for £30 within minutes so net price of £420-£440.

and i was going off the OP saying the 2080ti he was looking at is £1200. so £400 vs £1200.

Surely someone with a good job earning around £100,000 per year would be very happy to buy a 2080ti. No head checking needed.

Premium cards aren't aimed at the average Joe on average wages.

Even 1080 ti prices, it always amazed me when an average person in an old fiesta pulled up to buy one.

I call BS on that tbh. Hardly anyone earning £100K a year will be buying 2080ti's. The majority of their market will be people earning far less.

Sure it's your money and you can spend it how you want. But I know plenty of millionaires who grumble at spending money and they don't just buy the best. They normally either buy cheap or best value for money. There are also the flashy types who will do a bit of 1 upmanship for the sake of showing off but again they are buying for other reasons.

For example I know a millionaire that bought new couches and he went to the cheapest shop in the city and bought from there. They were like £250 each. My couches on the other hand were like £3.5K in total and that is for 2 armchairs and a 3 seater.

It's about value for money regardless of how much you earn and if you attribute more to certain things you are willing to pay more and see more value in it to the next person.

I could buy a 2080ti no problem. Most people could. You don't need to be earning £100K. however they are pretty much a rip off.

Soldato
The 20 series cards are very weird.

The 2060 super - too expensive for what you get.

2070 - best value for money
2070 super - second best value for money.

2080's - All of them overpriced marginal improvement over a 2070 super but up to 3 times the price.

I mean £1200 vs £400 for a 2070 super. You would need your head checked to be buying a 2080ti.

99.9% of gamers don’t own a Ti as top end cards have always been a very select market.

Sure the Ti is ridiculously priced, always has been. But I guess some people can justify that, whereas most people can’t. Most people will be more than happy with a £3-400 card.

I haven’t looked back from buying mine at launch. If I had a choice of a 2080S at launch I’d have likely gone with that. But went with the Ti purely because I don’t plan to upgrade anytime soon. It has been a great card and played anything I have thrown at it. The 3080Ti would sway me but will have to do 144hz 4k otherwise I won’t even be interested.

Anyone expecting next gen to be cheaper or better priced I think will be disappointed. As long as nvidia dominated the gpu market. Prices will continue as they are.

Last edited:
The 2080ti is just astronomically priced.

I mean £1400 for a 2080Ti FTW3... :eek: the FTW3 2080 was roughly £700 cheaper! so make sense of that one.

Truth is the extra performance really is not worth the massive premium over something that's far more reasonably priced like the 2070 Super or 5700 XT (IMHO).
The only time you might pick up a 2080ti at a sensible price is on clearance when the 3xxx range launches.

Caporegime
The 2080ti is just astronomically priced.

I mean £1400 for a 2080Ti FTW3... :eek: the FTW3 2080 was roughly £700 cheaper! so make sense of that one.

Truth is the extra performance really is not worth the massive premium over something that's far more reasonably priced like the 2070 Super or 5700 XT (IMHO).
The only time you might pick up a 2080ti at a sensible price is on clearance when the 3xxx range launches.

it won't be sensibly priced because if you wait 6 months after the 3xxx range launch and the hype has died down and it's black friday. you will be able to get a 3070 super for cheaper than a 2080ti and it will be faster. also around 1/3rd cheaper to boot.

the top end premium cards carry too much of a premium and even on sale it's still not worth it.

Soldato
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. the 7970 was the high end in the metrics I said before. die size, memory bus, VRAM amount.

The 7970 was a mid range card with mid range performance released with a high end price. Would you call the 6970/6950 high end cards? Nope, they were mid range offerings despite having larger die sizes and more memory than their Nvidia counterparts.

Was there a higher card held back and released later? Nope and the dual gpu 7990 doesn't count.

They were too conservative with the clock speeds at launch and it cost them. The cards would do 1200 core routinely with good cooling and an overclock.

They released the 7970, then released the 7970 Ghz edition, a faster cheaper card a few months later. Which is kind of my point. If Nvidia did the same thing it would be counted as fleecing early adopters.

Associate
OP
Exactly. We all know the price to performance ratio gets worse the closer you get to the flagship model. That won't stop me getting a 3080ti though, I want the best performance and that's all there is to it.

haha that’s pretty much where I am.. I have spent the past 18 months saying how stupidly expensive the 2080ti is but now I have cash in the bank, money is of no concern !

Soldato
The 7970 was a mid range card with mid range performance released with a high end price. Would you call the 6970/6950 high end cards? Nope, they were mid range offerings despite having larger die sizes and more memory than their Nvidia counterparts.

They released the 7970, then released the 7970 Ghz edition, a faster cheaper card a few months later. Which is kind of my point. If Nvidia did the same thing it would be counted as fleecing early adopters.

If you think so, then that's cool. It's an abstract concept and not worth arguing about.

Soldato
they were £400 in December and £450-£470 on black friday with a free game you could sell on MM for £30 within minutes so net price of £420-£440.

and i was going off the OP saying the 2080ti he was looking at is £1200. so £400 vs £1200.
What good is want the prices were on black Friday or in december :confused:

The OP quoted for an Asus Strix 2080ti
An Asus Strix 2070ti is listed here as starting at £600 so still roughly 2x the price compared to an Asus strix 2080ti

Associate
OP
I’m kinda hoping now that I won’t have to go to a Ti model when the 30XX series lands. Maybe a good old standard 80 or even 70 would see enough gains from the 10 series. That’s my hope now anyway, but like I said before, when money is sat there waiting I’m like a kid in a sweet shop. So when they say “the 3070 is twice the performance of a 1080ti.... Buuuttt, the 3080 ti will literally make you cups of tea” only £9,99,99,99..... I’m sold.

Soldato
but like I said before, when money is sat there waiting I’m like a kid in a sweet shop. S
Am the same

And this waiting game is getting really stupid now as in about another 3 days it be 3 months I been waiting for the new 3000 series and there still been nothing at all about them or when there going be released or specs of them or anything about them..

For all we know they may not get released till end of the year or even next year
and then after they been released it takes about another 2 or 3 months for stock and third party coolers

Last edited:
Soldato
Am the same

And this waiting game is getting really stupid now as in about another 3 days it be 3 months I been waiting for the new 3000 series and there still been nothing at all about them or when there going be released or specs of them or anything about them..

For all we know they may not get released till end of the year or even next year
and then after they been released it takes about another 2 or 3 months for stock and third party coolers

The fact they have released a custom Ti for cyberpunk 2077 says it likely won’t be anytime soon.

If anything you’d have expected a brand new gen to go with the game. Being a huge flagship title.

My guess now is toward the end of the year depending on what AMD bring out.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you think so, then that's cool. It's an abstract concept and not worth arguing about.

There is nothing to argue about. Well, we could argue about the 7970 been a real high end card or not, but it doesn't really matter because it's performance was mid range while it's price was high end. At that's the point of my original post. Nvidia had no cards out, AMD were first, they saw the chance with no competition and charged a high price for their card. A price they had to reduce when Nvidia released their mid range parts as 680/670 for less. AMD needed a new edition and big driver update in November of that year to finally get on top of that mid range battle.

Soldato
The fact they have released a custom Ti for cyberpunk 2077 says it likely won’t be anytime soon.

If anything you’d have expected a brand new gen to go with the game. Being a huge flagship title.

My guess now is toward the end of the year depending on what AMD bring out.

Those cards were more than likely manufactured a while back as a limited run to coincide with the original release date of CP2077.

Back
Top Bottom