20mph residential speed limit (replacing 30mph)

Caporegime
OP
Most studies have shown in the longer run the average speed in blanket 20s creeps back up to around 26-28MPH while average speed in 30s is 31. Most longer term studies have shown fatalities of pedestrians reduces quite a bit for the first 2-3 years but then returns to what it used to be in the longer run while cyclist fatalities generally doubles after a few years, probably due to a mixture of the lower limits slightly encouraging more people to cycle and the lower traffic limits making it harder for vehicles to pass cyclists, etc. resulting in more incidents.

Said this about cycling from the start.
My ebike goes 15mph.
No way to I want a car passing me at a delta of 5mph!
Thw amount of side by side time is too high. The gap for a car to wait to overtake St that speed is just too high.

Deleted member 266365

D

Deleted member 266365

Most studies have shown in the longer run the average speed in blanket 20s creeps back up to around 26-28MPH while average speed in 30s is 31. Most longer term studies have shown fatalities of pedestrians reduces quite a bit for the first 2-3 years but then returns to what it used to be in the longer run while cyclist fatalities generally doubles after a few years, probably due to a mixture of the lower limits slightly encouraging more people to cycle and the lower traffic limits making it harder for vehicles to pass cyclists, etc. resulting in more incidents.
Your own argument shows that the problem is ********, who do not have any patience and want to drive however they want, are the problem! "making it harder for vehicles to pass cyclists" If a cyclist is doing 15 in a 20 then have some ******* patience. You, and people like you, just want to be selfish!

Deleted member 266365

D

Deleted member 266365

If you cannot control your car to 20 mph then either you are a crap driver or you have bought a car that has been badly designed. Neither of those issues should be another road users issue.

Man of Honour
Your own argument shows that the problem is ********, who do not have any patience and want to drive however they want, are the problem! "making it harder for vehicles to pass cyclists" If a cyclist is doing 15 in a 20 then have some ******* patience. You, and people like you, just want to be selfish!

Nice trash posting.

Soldato
My motorbike and the last few other motorbikes i owned hate doing only 20mph and are far from smooth at such a low speed

Think this is due to 1st gear on motorbikes these days are geared for such a high speed to keep the front wheel down
I have no idea what speed my bike 1st is geared for, But i heard of some ltr sportbikes where 1st is geared for somewhere between 90mph to over 100mph

Last edited:
Associate
Moved out to Surrey after living in Central London and I thought that was bad, but Surrey is even worse, 20mph every other road and speed cameras coupled with dreadful speed bumps oh and potholes.

Soldato
Said this about cycling from the start.
My ebike goes 15mph.
No way to I want a car passing me at a delta of 5mph!
Thw amount of side by side time is too high. The gap for a car to wait to overtake St that speed is just too high.

Could always slow down to let them pass...

Slow moving vehicles should let traffic go by, though it isn't a requirement for cyclists (probably should be, being the slowest thing with wheels on the road).

Last edited:
Soldato

Slow moving vehicles should let traffic go by, though it isn't a requirement for cyclists (probably should be, being the slowest thing with wheels on the road).
And you’ll be overtaken again at the next set of lights in a 20mph zone.

Generally, if you are on an ebike (or can pedal a ‘manual’ bike as quickly, you’ll probably making a lot more progress through a town/city than a car.

Soldato

So cars should slow down and get out of my way in 20mph zones when Im on my bicycle? Yeah I didnt think so

Last edited:
Soldato
As a cyclist I usually glance behind at motorist, even move over a bit, to give an indication when I am happy for them to overtake and there is sufficient space,
worst thing as a motorist is blinkered cyclists who show no awareness.

speed cameras in 20's - the police, in Wales, at least, had said there was an introductory period set at 26mph, so shouldn't have a false sense of security if you are driving old speeds.

Back
Top Bottom