20mph residential speed limit (replacing 30mph)

Man of Honour
Eh? As above most vehicles I drive have a minimum speed of 25 MPH to set cruise control, drop out of cruise control if the speed drops below 21 MPH (18 for the Tiguan IIRC) but also none actually have a simple press set done, most it is at least 2 button presses and depending on what I drive some set is pressing a 2 way control downwards, others a 4 way control which may be up or down or pressing it in, etc. so trying to remember what does what is just too much faff.

EDIT: Actually some of the vans it is a simple lever press IIRC but again different implementation so not muscle memory when not driving the same vehicle regularly.
My car, my wife's car and my previous car were all a one and done button to set cruise.

I'd forgotten about this until I took my bike over the border last week. Trying to maintain 20mph on a motorbike is definitely a pain in the arse and did require much more glancing at the Speedo than I was particularly comfortable with.

Caporegime
My 2022 born is one button, press set. My 2011 M3 is one press of lever.

Never need speed limiter. Doesn’t that need throttle too anyway ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oddly enough I drove through a 20mph area yesterday and found it effortless. 20mph was 1k rpm in 4th, not an issue
It's car dependent. My wifes car is really not happy in 4th at an indicated 20mph as it's basically idle speed. 3rd is doable but it's still only about 1100 RPM & the slightest touch of the throttle sees the speed creep up to 25ish.

Realistically, if you want to hold 20mph, it's 2nd gear.

Caporegime
You think 4th is ok for 20 but blame the speed limit. Really ????

Congrats for working out you need 2nd gear.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So it's been a while since the 20mph came in. Over 9/10 drivers in my area still drive at 30. So I've hardly seen any impact.

Car is much better at 30 than 20.
20 is higher revs and a gear down.
30 is 1800 and 20 is about 2200 rpm
Doesn't take much change in throttle around 20 for the gear changing up and down either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don’t really get it. ‘My car doesn’t like 20mph in 4th’.

Talk about thinking out loud and then thinks anyone cares )

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t really get it. ‘My car doesn’t like 20mph in 4th’.

Talk about thinking out loud and then thinks anyone cares )
It's a discussion about 20mph limits & how much of a pain in the **** they are isn't it? Her car isn't really happy at 20mph full stop unless you want to drive everywhere at 2K RPM in 2nd.

Are people not allowed opinions that you disagree with?

You seem to care, you keep replying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It's a discussion about 20mph limits & how much of a pain in the **** they are isn't it? Her car isn't really happy at 20mph full stop unless you want to drive everywhere at 2K RPM in 2nd.

That's what ours does.
Drops from 3 in 3rd to 2nd at 20 at 2200rpm.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I’ll ask the kids skull about how much of a pain it is hitting them in 4th rather than 3rd ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oddly enough I drove through a 20mph area yesterday and found it effortless. 20mph was 1k rpm in 4th, not an issue

As mentioned above it can be car/vehicle dependant - some of the work vans have a huge amount of low range - you really need to rev em out to get up to speed any time soon but will sit happily at 20 in the middle of the appropriate gear, other vehicles not so much.

Back
Top Bottom