21:9 Aspect Ratio PC Games info

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Looking at getting a 21:9 at some point - is playing in 16:9 for games that support it that big of a deal or is it just fine?
You get large black pillars left & right handside of the screen you can stretch the image but it looks distorted & horrible. Its not too bad with the black bars as the IPS screen is quite pretty you soon forget it really.

I would prefer all PC games to support 21:9 but it seems like its going to be a niche resolution for some time to come as most devs ignore it totally sadly :(

FTL

FTL

Associate
You need this program check around to see if its a bannable mod though I do not own the game as I refuse to buy it until they support gamepads officially on PC but I understand you may get banned using the app to give you 21:9 which seems very harsh to me :(
http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/diablo-iii/en
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7764666948

As I've mentioned above, you do not need to run any software to get D3 to run at 21:9, put it into windowed fullscreen and it will work perfectly!

Soldato
As I've mentioned above, you do not need to run any software to get D3 to run at 21:9, put it into windowed fullscreen and it will work perfectly!

What this guy said i can confirm no need for 3rd party tools at the moment. I have to go through a small process however for it to work.. may just be my setups fault. I have to select 1920x1080 fullscreen and apply settings.. then switch to windowed fullscreen and everything is running perfectly 21:9 aspect.. if i dont do it this way things low weird and low less.. nevertheless its a very small thing to do for it to work(again may just be my setup that requires it).

Associate
DayZ [Standalone]

Player SmashT on the DayZ forums posted this a while ago:

Open your config file, located here : C:\Users\*username*\Documents\DayZ\Your name.Profile

Open with a text editor and edit these lines for 21:9 :

fovTop=0.75;
fovLeft=1.7777778;

Or:

fovTop=0.80000001;
fovLeft=1.87;

Or:

fovTop=0.94;
fovLeft=2.1900001;

fovTop=0.75;
fovLeft=1.7777778; works the best for me as the higher values are over the top.

Soldato
I wish Heroes of the storm was supported :(

Yeah, If they thought it would give an unfair advantage surely they could just put fog of war at the sides of the screen? I suppose it does give players a slight advantage seeing more of the screen but it's annoying nevertheless. Perhaps they could allow it for casual and ban it for ranked play or similar if they really thought it as an issue. Blizzard are a bit weird when it comes to 21:9 support like that.

Soldato
Problem is you cannot use the whole "unfair" argument when it comes to monitor aspect ratio's because 4:3 will be able to see less than someone on a 16:9.. so while we are at it why not just ban or disallow 16:9 monitors to while we are at it(extreme case to prove a point).

Not a single gamer, that i know off, cares that 1% of the player base is able to see 30ish% more on their screen as it comes with the territory of owning a pc just as people dont care if someone is rendering the game 2 times faster than they are(which in theory would also give an advantage, nomatter how small it may be). Could continue to the extreme and mention mouse or keyboard while we are at it and even though it seems silly it could also be used to prove the point. I didnt get better at BF4 for example when i got my 2560x1080 ...i actually got worse (gave up 120hz for 60hz ips). Granted the game looks 100 times better now but its not a game where you "stop to smell the roses".

I wish developers would stop using the unfair argument and just be real about it. Its okay if its not on the top priority because it only serves 1%, just be honest about it.

Associate
We'll see this argument crop up more once 21:9 goes big (which it will). Unfair? That's a good point, but a tough sell.

I have great headphones that can almost pin point footsteps (aka sound-whoring) in games with good sound design, namely BF4. OFC you could never ban that, but there are ways to get a serious edge over other players and having an ultra wide is actually just that. Gimping resolution is one way that developers can do that if they feel justified. Wait till the Rift goes mainstream in a few years with proper support: retreat 20 paces and enjoy the fireworks.

Dunno, but have any games gimped triple monitor setups btw?

Soldato
I just find it silly that some would fight advancement so much, its not how pc gaming is suppose to be imho. Just embrace it and not only will it make pc gaming flourish more due to more option in regards to your experience but it will help push the hardware market along. Why develop something if devs ban it or people complain about it(aka less/no profit)? I personally am fine if someones system is better than mine and therefor have some sort of advantage. If i had an issue with that i would go play on a console(not saying that as a bad thing btw).

Associate
I just find it silly that some would fight advancement so much, its not how pc gaming is suppose to be imho. Just embrace it and not only will it make pc gaming flourish more due to more option in regards to your experience but it will help push the hardware market along. Why develop something if devs ban it or people complain about it(aka less/no profit)? I personally am fine if someones system is better than mine and therefor have some sort of advantage. If i had an issue with that i would go play on a console(not saying that as a bad thing btw).

Great points there Phix. Unfortunately competitive gaming is one area where they'd have to standardise to avoid the squeals of outrage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great points there Phix. Unfortunately competitive gaming is one area where they'd have to standardise to avoid the squeals of outrage.

And i understand that perfectly and to some degree agree with it. But personally dont feel like every one of those standards should be applied to the "home" user. I do not agree 100% with the notion that play from home is true competitive play cause there are so many things no body can control and therefor is not proper grounds for equal and "fair" competitive gameplay. If we were talking about Tournaments done in a controlled enviroment with fixed machines/hardware the story would be different i feel.

I guess im beating a dead horse anyway heheh I can wish for proper modular hardware support all i want doesnt mean its going to happen.

Soldato
As I have a 7850K APU I want to find out if I can do 1:1 pixel mapping with these LG super wide monitors so I can reduce the image size if I need to (so I'd get black on either side of the image to help with performance.) ?

Is that possible?

And yes... I'm very curious as I'm after a new monitor :)

Back
Top Bottom