***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
Interesting.... My first chance to game on the GTX 980 (after buying it a month or so back) and I'm fairly happy with the results.

BF4 ultra @1440p : 45-50 fps at that resolution everything at stock.

What do you guys get ?

Yea, BF4 does well. Very well coded game. I get about the same and turn some sliders up.

I've been playing, and don't laugh, AC: Black Flag and had to turn a lot of things down to get a decent frame rate going. Same with Witcher 3. Plays well enough but I can tell that it's choppy compare to my old 27'. Not checked the frame rate yet.

Stuck in the nasty vacuum where I want to upgrade but there's nothing decent yet to upgrade to. 1080/1070 - not in mood to pay for R&D, 980Ti don't appear to be massively different to a 980GTX (although you'll gain some extra frames obviously) unless you get it for a great price it's a good tie-over card. Not in the mood to struggle with SLI/XF so the XF of a 480 is probably out too. Besides, my poor PSU won't be able to run dual cards anyway.

Yea, I'm stuck :p

Soldato
is 3440x1440 or 4k more workload intensive?

Not too sure. Mathematically I'd say 4k is probably 'harder' to run but 3440 not far behind. Depends of what settings you go for I'd imagine.

Speaking as an utter layman, I'd stay away from 4k at the moment due to its intensive nature (unless you want to throw a lot of money at it). When I was doing monitor research I notice a lot of OCUK'ers that jumped on 4k early (because, you know. OMGOMGOMGOMG 4k!!!!!) is now back to 1440p monitors.

Soldato
Not too sure. Mathematically I'd say 4k is probably 'harder' to run but 3440 not far behind. Depends of what settings you go for I'd imagine.

Speaking as an utter layman, I'd stay away from 4k at the moment due to its intensive nature (unless you want to throw a lot of money at it). When I was doing monitor research I notice a lot of OCUK'ers that jumped on 4k early (because, you know. OMGOMGOMGOMG 4k!!!!!) is now back to 1440p monitors.

4K is always harder to run than 21:9, and by quite a margin... assuming both are being run natively. We are talking 8.3 megapixels vs 4.9... not a small difference at all. Sure, you can ramp the settings WAY down on 4K to get something resembling smooth game-play, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Good advice though, I would not be recommending 4K to anyone except under particular professional circumstances. For gaming it just makes NO sense... 21:9 offers better immersion, is easier to drive and offers more smooth and fluid gameplay. It really is a no brainer, and until we see a 40"+ 100Hz+ 4K G-Sync/Freesync monitor and a single solution GPU that can run it effectively, this will not change. :)

Soldato
4K is always harder to run than 21:9, and by quite a margin... assuming both are being run natively. We are talking 8.3 megapixels vs 4.9... not a small difference at all. Sure, you can ramp the settings WAY down on 4K to get something resembling smooth game-play, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Good advice though, I would not be recommending 4K to anyone except under particular professional circumstances. For gaming it just makes NO sense... 21:9 offers better immersion, is easier to drive and offers more smooth and fluid gameplay. It really is a no brainer, and until we see a 40"+ 100Hz+ 4K G-Sync/Freesync monitor and a single solution GPU that can run it effectively, this will not change. :)

Interesting. I knew that it theory it was more intensive but it’s interesting to see the math.

It can be quite hard for laymen to separate the facts from all the fiction that can go on here at times. Things tend to take on a life of their own and then you have the parrots jumping into the fray confusing things more.

But I can imagine you need some serious graphics power to run 4k at decent frames. Coming from bog standard 1080p, I’m surprised at how severe 3440x1440 is. And not so much that, but also have sensitive I am towards lower FPS. Never ever used to check as it never was a reality with a 980GTX on 1080p but now I definitely notice.

Strangely enough, apart from Witcher 3, newer games like Doom, SW:BF3, BF4 runs quite well. The older games seem to chug a bit.

Anyway, Iooks like I’m stuck with the 980gtx for a while longer until something decent comes out, aka Vega or the proper full fat Pascal cards. Set up an extra account and throwing 50 bucks a week towards it to dull the pain when time comes to shell out for a new card.

Associate
Associate
Can anybody with the X34A comment on their experiences with the following issues that are known to have affected the regular X34:

- Scan lines
- Back light bleed
- IPS glow
- Coil whine
- Dead/ stuck pixels
- Colour banding
- Reaching 100Hz

Thanks.

Soldato
Can anybody with the X34A comment on their experiences with the following issues that are known to have affected the regular X34:

- Scan lines - none
- Back light bleed - a little in the corners
- IPS glow - maybe that's what I'm seeing in the corners?
- Coil whine - none
- Dead/ stuck pixels - none
- Colour banding - what is this?
- Reaching 100Hz - reached no problem

Associate
- Scan lines - none
- Coil whine - none

^^
This. Had no issues with my X34A, really pleased with it.

The only issue I had was with YouTube video's causing all kinds of erratic display issues, but after a bit of googling this was resolved by disabling hardware acceleration in the browser :D

I don't know if its that they've seriously improved on the early manufacturing issues, or I got lucky, but a first class screen.

Associate

- Scan lines
- Back light bleed
- IPS glow
- Coil whine
- Dead/ stuck pixels
- Colour banding
- Reaching 100Hz

Thanks.

I have a regular x34 build December 2015 and have none of the above issues. Clocked to 100Hz no problem. These monitors seem to be luck of the draw. I got lucky clearly.

Associate
^^ Thanks for the replies String, Pappa-D and bmad. Good to know people appear to be receiving quality panels with this new revision. Although I thought Acer themselves confirmed all X34 monitors will encounter scan lines to some degree when gsync is switched on? Will try and dig out the statement they issued addressing this.

Soldato
Really would like one of these.

I have a 980ti, I'm not fussed about gsync or freesync. I have been looking at the XR34 but the frame skipping on Nvidia cards is an issue. I just can't justify the extra few hundred quid for the gsync version.

Caporegime
Really would like one of these.

I have a 980ti, I'm not fussed about gsync or freesync. I have been looking at the XR34 but the frame skipping on Nvidia cards is an issue. I just can't justify the extra few hundred quid for the gsync version.

Believe me man, it's the best monitor out for nVidia cards out right now bar none! BUT, their are DP 1.3's coming down the line so their will def be other options :)

Associate
I'm in the same boat. The XR34 is £600 whilst the X34A is £900. I run an AMD setup. Is it worth switching from AMD to Nvidia AND get the X34A

or

just get the XR34 save £300 and SLI my AMD card / get a better AMD one

What are the differences? Just 75vs100hz, any difference in screen quality?

Will I notice a huge difference from 75-100?

Associate
I'm in the same boat. The XR34 is £600 whilst the X34A is £900. I run an AMD setup. Is it worth switching from AMD to Nvidia AND get the X34A

or

just get the XR34 save £300 and SLI my AMD card / get a better AMD one

Will I notice a huge difference from 75-100?

Well, thats the same decision I was faced with. I have an ageing 7950 which needed updating - I also wanted to go 3440x1440P. Thought about going Freesync, they are so much cheaper - but from what Ive read it just doesnt really compare with G-Sync. Also, I didnt feel that AMD's current line-up really gave the the performance jump I was looking for - I'll only replace GPU every 3-4 years......

Soooooooo, courtesy of Mr Barclaycard, I decided to go all in. The X34A is in place, now if only my GTX1080 would turn up.........

If and when - I'll let you know if crippling myself finacially was worth it :D

Associate
Well, thats the same decision I was faced with. I have an ageing 7950 which needed updating - I also wanted to go 3440x1440P. Thought about going Freesync, they are so much cheaper - but from what Ive read it just doesnt really compare with G-Sync. Also, I didnt feel that AMD's current line-up really gave the the performance jump I was looking for - I'll only replace GPU every 3-4 years......

Soooooooo, courtesy of Mr Barclaycard, I decided to go all in. The X34A is in place, now if only my GTX1080 would turn up.........

If and when - I'll let you know if crippling myself finacially was worth it :D

Haha how much was it? 0.9k? I hear the new gen of ultrawide is coming so I'm going to wait.

Soldato

Thats the only difference. They're exactly the same panel just different electronics that handle the sync with the nvidia model its in the monitor with the other its in the card. Otherwise its the same apart from the fact there are no "scan lines" whatsoever. Oh and theres a sharpness function the x34 lacks.

Got my XR34 paired with a Fury X. Works great.

Last edited:
Soldato
- Scan lines - none
- Coil whine - none

Same here with a X34 Predator.

It's pretty much perfect.

I will say though it's a much nicer monitor on a arm. Love the way it just's floats in front of me.

;)

Back
Top Bottom