***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
What is the warranty situation with the Acer X34. If bought 2nd hand, (nearly new) would I be able to register with Acer? Does it go off serial number or is only original buyer covered.

Thanks

Associate
Well the warnings are true. My X34A has what looks like two dead pixels near the top left corner. :(
I'm not as hardcore as other members though and will be keeping it. It is only noticeable when the screen is static in a single light colour.

Associate
Bought Fallout 4 in the steam sale yesterday..
Went to play it today and it doesn't support 3440x1440 without editing it and installing mods...:(

You would have expected fairly new games like this to support Ultra Wide 21:9 & high Resolutions..

Agreed. That said you only need to edit the ini file to get going, no mods. The hud/scope issue never bothered me.

Associate
Well the warnings are true. My X34A has what looks like two dead pixels near the top left corner. :(
I'm not as hardcore as other members though and will be keeping it. It is only noticeable when the screen is static in a single light colour.

Disappointing, but I agree that a couple of dead pixels isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. How is it for coil whine? And do you know the manufacture date?

Associate
Disappointing, but I agree that a couple of dead pixels isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. How is it for coil whine? And do you know the manufacture date?

Don't know yet. Still waiting for my rig to arrive. Only did a 15 minute test on an old laptop with an HDMI cable.
When my rig arrives, I'll OC the monitor and test for coil whine and all the other bits.
Where should I look for a manufacture date, in the manual?

Associate
Where should I look for a manufacture date, in the manual?

Should just be on the bottom of the monitor, to the left of the predator logo. It's a bit difficult to read as the text is small and you'll have to contort your neck to see it, so it's probably easiest to just take a photo of it with your phone.

Soldato
X34a

- Scan lines - none
- Back light bleed - a little in the corners
- IPS glow - barely visible
- Coil whine - none
- Dead/ stuck pixels - none
- Colour banding - will check tomorrow.
- Reaching 100Hz - Yes.

Bought from OCUK Friday.

Soldato
Went to play it today and it doesn't support 3440x1440 without editing it and installing mods...:(

You would have expected fairly new games like this to support Ultra Wide 21:9 & high Resolutions..

Annoying, isn't it. Even Black Mesa supports 21:9 straight out of the box lol.

Agreed. That said you only need to edit the ini file to get going, no mods. The hud/scope issue never bothered me.

So exactly the same as Skyrim then. You'd think they'd have updated the game engine to reflect current reality but nope, apparently not.

Last edited:
Associate
Coil Whine? If you look for it...

No coil whine even on the website below?

http://thume.ca/screentunes/

I can confirm that on my X34A, I do get some interesting noises when viewing this website........

However! I don't regularly sit and stare at scrolling black lines and in any day to day use - browsing, gaming in the Division or Witcher 3, I've never noticed a peep :D

So I guess its down to whether you are happy with no problems, or unhappy if you look for problems and find them! :rolleyes:

Each to their own I guess.

Associate
I am really interested in a 21:9 monitor, probably a 34" one. The one thing that is putting me off getting one is all the reports of issues such as dead pixels etc.

Even thinking of buying one stresses me out as I really don't want to deal with returns etc. so I just stick with my trusty 24" 1080p screen.

Are there any brands in particular that have a good reputation for quality?

Soldato

I posted a rage thread on the Bethesda forums about this back when it came out.

I pre-ordered Fallout 4 and have still not played it because of this!!

Associate
Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom