***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
meh?;30486165 said:
I'm so unsure which monitor to get :(. I've had a nice bonus at work and along with some spare cash I've managed to put £1000 a side for a new monitor. I currently have a BenQ XL2720Z for games and for movies / Netflix etc I use a Sony 43w805c. I basically want to do away with the TV and monitor and just have one nice ultrawide.

I have an nvidia graphics card so my options are either the X34A or the PG348Q. Is there any difference between the two? I only really play battlefield and cs:go, will the monitors be ok?

I am leaning more towards the PG348Q but the stand kinda puts me off. I would mount it on a monitor arm but my desk would need to be modified as it's a ikea malm.

They are basically the same internally, both use the same panel, so you're paying more for the aesthetic in the PG34.

Soldato
Reality|Bites;30486302 said:
Just wait for the new monitors to come out....the acer and asus ones are old hat now :p

What new 21:9 1440p G-Sync monitors are coming out that render the X34/PG34 "old hat"?? What did I miss?

Associate
Glanza;30487392 said:
Panels are the same, after owning both stick with the Asus, the menu is easier to get around compared to the Acer and the stand on the Asus doesn't take up as much room.

Will do thanks. Roll on tomorrow when I can order one

Soldato
Forgot to come back and say but I went for the 29" LG 29UM68-P on offer the other week and loving it so far. The extra space is much welcomed as I was finding my one 24" 1080p screen a bit limiting.

Colours are nice & vivid and find my eyes aren't getting as tired as they were before, tend to have it on the reading mode majority of the time as find it the most comfortable.

I couldn't afford a 34" 4k screen even if I wanted to but this is a very nice upgrade that allows my system to play at max settings for most titles whereas the next res up would have been a big jump. The games I've tried so far seem to work without any issues, DOOM feels a lot more immersive now especially the glory kills. :D

Only slight negative is the lack of height adjustment on the stand but can't have it all at this price. Looking for a height adjustable desk stand if anyone has any recommendations, can't use a mounted arm due to the style of the desk.

Soldato
How i dream of a 29-30inch 3440x1440 75hz+ and for it to not have the Acer/asus tax .. one can dream right? I dont suppose any have heard of 3440x1440 in a monitor lower than 34 inches?

Associate
Does anyone know which of the LG displays can be powered by USB-C from a windows laptop?

Or Could I get the Thunderbolt version and use a USB-C to Thunderbolt cable?

Trying to keep my desk as clean as possible.

Interesting to see people's response to this. I've just ordered a Dell XPS 9560 and want to hook it up to an Ultrawide monitor but unsure how to go about it.

Soldato
How i dream of a 29-30inch 3440x1440 75hz+ and for it to not have the Acer/asus tax .. one can dream right? I dont suppose any have heard of 3440x1440 in a monitor lower than 34 inches?

No, and I doubt there ever will be such a monitor, nor do I see why anyone would really want one. At that size it would be diddly... are you a Borrower?

Caporegime
OP
No, and I doubt there ever will be such a monitor, nor do I see why anyone would really want one. At that size it would be diddly... are you a Borrower?

Higher PPI thus sharper.

Personally I would like to see the same too, 30-32" 21.9 would be the perfect size for me. 34" is great for the physical height but imo it is too wide.

Associate
question, I can get the Samsung CF791 new for £710 inc vat & delivery from Samsung, it's a deal I get with work. Should I snap this monitor up for this price? I was initially looking at getting a £400 monitor, or the Korean microboard m340clz for around £550-600 (although everywhere says out of stock) - so maybe the extra few hundred £100 is worth it for the CF7901?
I dano, still a hell of a lot of money, but am I being stupid, should I buy the thing right now as I can get it for a good price?

Associate
question, I can get the Samsung CF791 new for £710 inc vat & delivery from Samsung, it's a deal I get with work. Should I snap this monitor up for this price? I was initially looking at getting a £400 monitor, or the Korean microboard m340clz for around £550-600 (although everywhere says out of stock) - so maybe the extra few hundred £100 is worth it for the CF7901?
I dano, still a hell of a lot of money, but am I being stupid, should I buy the thing right now as I can get it for a good price?

It's really up to you, price up/down all the time and new models always not far away. Now for £50 more then your Samsung deal you can pre-order an AsusMX34VQ.

Like your situation now, I was looking at the M340CLZ and CF791 before Xmas and almost confirmed with the Microboard seller, but at the end I didn't go for any of them and decided to stick to my u2515h for another year.

£600 is a lot of money for a monitor, so I didn't rush and take time to think again what I need before I made my decision.

Soldato

Alternatively there is the Crossover 34U100 3440x1440 which looks pretty good.

Soldato

Considering that i can read 90% of text on a 24 inch 4k panel sitting over 60cm away with no issues i dont think my request is that bad. There are some of us who want higher DPI monitors but are not interested in the monstrosities of 34inch however awesome it might look on your desk. I loss focus if the monitor is to big and it sometimes leads to eye fatique and headaches. If i didnt hate 16:9 so much i would have gotten a 24inch 4k myself i just prefer ultrawide.

Back
Top Bottom