233s many mile Mondeo

Soldato
OP
Weird... The manual states 6.1 litres including filter... Seems no-one can get it right....

I assume you highlighted all these errors to the dealer?

I fired a complaint over to the Ford directors office who did the square root of nothing, as for the oil probably is 6.1 give or take a bit but certainly not 8 litres.
the one and only time they've gotten their hands on the car and they left a very sour taste, which is a pity as they are far handier than my own mechanic being 1/4 mile up the road, add to the fact they quote £325 for a service which is utterly lolworthy for a diesel Mondeo you can see why I love my indy and don't mind travelling.

Soldato
OP
quick update seeing as its been a while,

just changed the back pads for the first time at 98k miles :)

and the Mondeo now has a new stable mate arriving which should rack up even more miles. pics of her new big sister to follow soon :)

Soldato
Hey @233, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable on high mileage mondeo's so any thoughts on this: http://www.balaamcarsales.co.uk/use...0-tdci-titanium-x-5dr-london-201707167427355?
Going to have a look at it for a family member who needs an estate auto and has a budget of circa £3k. Anything particular to look out for? Mot history checks out with minor things. Will obviously look at paperwork and the work it's had done but any other advice would be appreciated!

Soldato
OP
must be tired as I can't see a mileage on the site, MOTd in July at 145k miles which is faff all for a 2l tdci, can't comment on the auto box though I've never run one, but like most things as long as its been serviced correctly I wouldn't be overly concerned, does seem a touch pricey for the age and mileage, I bought a 60 plate facelift for a grand more than that over 3 years ago so shop around or try for a few quid off, albeit mine was a zetec manual but less miles. theres plenty of choice out there. although slightly limited with the higher spec and auto box.

fwiw those seats are amazingly comfy I retrofitted a TitX half leather seat into mine

Soldato
Thanks for the response, have read about gearbox oil needing changing every 40k or so, so will have a look at the documentation.
Inclined to offer around 2800 and take it from there. Family member has a disabled mum so can't travel too far and this one is 5 miles away and seems to be the only titx auto around these parts!

Soldato
Glad to see yours is still going 233.

Our one at work is now on 54k miles and has been back to the dealers for almost as much time as it has been in service. It's had the turbo replaced, driveshafts replaced, the passenger window fell out of the runner the other day and a few engine management lights along the way which have required various parts. For comparison, the Focuses we have have barely had a fault between them and they've been driven much harder, with many on double the mileage of the Mondeo and still reliable.

It's a very nice car, and a massive step up from the old Mondeos, but there's no denying it's got fairly sizeable reliability issues.

Soldato
Lower than 3k for a 2009 Titanium x :eek: must be a right nail that. Your talking nearly 5k for a good 2009 example so it seems way too cheap regardless of mileage

Soldato
Lower than 3k for a 2009 Titanium x :eek: must be a right nail that. Your talking nearly 5k for a good 2009 example so it seems way too cheap regardless of mileage
They are all around this price round here, at least the 3 we've seen! This has 145k on the clock and some cosmetic issues but mechanically seems fine. Has a "full service history" which basically means it has some stamps in the book but no idea what's been done.
It also had a whooshing sound when flooring it from cold but I couldn't replicate it during the test drive.
Anything else to check for? Can Bluetooth a2dp be added?

Soldato
I am not very knowledgeable on diesel Mondeo's so 233 would be the guy to listen too but I would just check for the usual; excessive smoke under acceleration, any vibration through the clutch pedal or gearbox? Is it still on the original clutch?, whooshing sound could be coming from the Turbo or a split pipe somewhere but if you couldn't hear it much then I doubt it's anything major. I think they have a cambelt instead of a chain so has that ever been changed?
As for the Bluetooth ask 233 or check Howard's thread on his Titanium x I'm sure it's been mentioned in that thread

Soldato
Felt nice and tight to drive and that was after jumping in from my year old Golf. It's an auto too so changed gears nicely enough with the manual selection working fine. Like I said mechanically it seems fine, wheels are badly corroded and could do with a refurb. Belts and pumps and fluids can be done for around £300 at a local garage so hopefully 3500 will see a sorted car for many more miles. If offered my advice so will leave it up to my cousin to choose.

Thanks again for all the input.

Just to add, he bought it for £3000 so will see how it goes!

Last edited:
Caporegime
@233 Quick query, is a taxi which isn't an LTI type thing still classified as a Hackney Carriage for insurance purposes?

I'm guessing not as it is a body type in the insurance system and that would probably relate to whether or not it is a vehicle specifically designed to be used as such?

Soldato
OP
@233 Quick query, is a taxi which isn't an LTI type thing still classified as a Hackney Carriage for insurance purposes?

I'm guessing not as it is a body type in the insurance system and that would probably relate to whether or not it is a vehicle specifically designed to be used as such?

Hackney carriage relates to the plate type on the vehicle

It's either minicab/private hire or taxi/hackney carriage

Some councils you find have the same cars available as both

Soldato
How goes the car?
Mines just nearing 36k now. Not had any issues with the car as such.

I did have the second service done at a Ford dealers and about a week later found they hadn't changed the pollen filter even though i had been charged for it. When i phoned them they accused me of lying to get a refund, not in those words but the supervisor i spoke to said he asked the tech who said he definitely changed it, to which i replied hes definitely lying. Anyway i demanded to speak to the manager who did phone me the next day, straight away he said he looked at the cameras and he was lying didn't change the filter. So that's my confidence in dealers gone back to indy garages.

The car has been great really, some minor niggles but what car doesn't have those. Ended up with cross climate+ on the front and Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 on the rear and i'm happy with those. Noticed the dash has dropped in the middle right up against the windscreen but it apparently happens to them all.

Soldato
OP
How goes the car?

quick update,

the old mk4 is still going strong in my friends hands having just had her first clutch at 550k
the mk5 is plodding away on fleet duties now getting ragged silly by multiple drivers and living the proper taxi life

and i have a new err mile munching mondeo

VKGPhDGl.jpg

feels very much like the old mk4 in a lot of ways solidly built and heavy in every regard. rather brisk too with somewhere north of 700nm of torque moving it along nicely :)

Soldato
quick update,

the old mk4 is still going strong in my friends hands having just had her first clutch at 550k
the mk5 is plodding away on fleet duties now getting ragged silly by multiple drivers and living the proper taxi life

and i have a new err mile munching mondeo

VKGPhDGl.jpg

feels very much like the old mk4 in a lot of ways solidly built and heavy in every regard. rather brisk too with somewhere north of 700nm of torque moving it along nicely :)
Is that a hybrid Mondeo ?

Back
Top Bottom