2407WFP-HC

Associate
Guys, you know a week back, when there was that reduction in price on the 2407WFP-HC (Week only deal) what was the exact price of this INC VAT? Thanks!!

In other words, whats been the lowest price of this monitor on Overclockers?

Last edited:
Caporegime
£400 for a 24" monitor is just ridiculous imo. I'd never pay more than £200 for a PC screen not due to disposable income, but out of principal and the fact that you can get an excellent 32" CRT TV screen for £100. Why 24" TFTs are so much more expensive than 22"s I could guess, but at any one time there's an optimal price / performance payoff for most products, and for 24" TFTs, now is not that time.

Hopefully January 08 will see the latest 24" Dell going for closer to £200.

C64

C64

Soldato
Agreed complete ripoff price unless you are rich of course :D amazes me they actually sell 2" extra for £200 more.A 32" Lcd tv is cheaper than your decent 24":eek: way it works though huh if people are prepaired to pay that price then they will be that price.If the sales figures were low then the price would come down.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
£400 for a 24" monitor is just ridiculous imo. I'd never pay more than £200 for a PC screen not due to disposable income, but out of principal and the fact that you can get an excellent 32" CRT TV screen for £100. Why 24" TFTs are so much more expensive than 22"s I could guess, but at any one time there's an optimal price / performance payoff for most products, and for 24" TFTs, now is not that time.

Hi there

I can guarantee you a DELL 24" won't go for £300 let alone £200 for a brand new one, stop dreaming. :)

Also CRT TV's use considerably cheaper technology hence their cheapness, if you connect your PC to one you will see how poor the quality and low the resolution is.

Fact is LCD's are cheaper than they have ever been, the DELL 24" panels used to cost a lot more and are now very good buys and Samsung have made 24" even more affordable. :)

Caporegime
Hi there

I can guarantee you a DELL 24" won't go for £300 let alone £200 for a brand new one, stop dreaming. :)

What, ever? You are honestly saying that no Dell 24" will ever retail for less than £300? It is you that is dreaming about nice high retail prices ;)

All you have to do is look at the historical TFT market to see how price trends move over time.

Caporegime

Considering I paid more like £800 when this first came out (well the 2405WFP) - it being nearer £400 makes me cry!!! Thats 50% reduction in only 2.5years...

Expecting another 50% reduction in 3months is laughable considering we are looking at the latest version. I dont expect it to go down much further considering we are talking about PC monitors (i.e. anything bigger than 24" is probably not ideal as a monitor when you are sitting only a metre or so away from it; the same issues dont occur with TVs)...

Seriously mate it sounds like you dont know too much about monitors compared to normal TVs (compare the resolution of your £100 32" TV to a 24" TFT PC monitor). And to answer your question the majority of 22" monitors rely on the same resolution as 20" screens (1680x1050) and therefore technically arent much harder to produce; whereas 24" monitors are 1920x1200 and so use different panels which are harder to manufacture...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Permabanned
I dont think screens like the Dell 24inch monitor will ever be down to £200 to be honest.

They will just dis continue them when they get to say sub £300 and bring out a new one.

If you see what i mean?

Man of Honour
Agreed complete ripoff price unless you are rich of course :D amazes me they actually sell 2" extra for £200 more.A 32" Lcd tv is cheaper than your decent 24":eek: way it works though huh if people are prepaired to pay that price then they will be that price.If the sales figures were low then the price would come down.

yeah but a 32" LCD TV won't offer the resolution that a 2407WFP will! They are completely different things, one is designed for multimedia and the other for PC use...

C64

C64

Soldato
Indeed but even so £450 come off it ! £350 for a higher quality screen £250-£280 for tn film 24" it should be but alas people pay that price so they will sell that price.
17" £100 ish
19" £140 ish
20 " £180 ish
22" £200 ish
24" £400 ish something definately isn't right there is it.
Imagine if 20" =£180 22" =£360 you can understand the big prices when something is new technology,
it's not like 24" is brand new now is it?,or even the panel tech.Everything is pricey when it's brand new
but most things even out a bit but with the 24" panels it looks like they are even going up in price not evening out.
Hats off to company's like Acer who have an honest £250 price tag on their 24".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
no one's forcing people to buy 24" models though! There is a significant jump up when you move from 22" to 24" though:

- 2" bigger screen
- 1920 x 1200 res instead of 1680 x 1050 (not to be underestimated)
- S-PVA technology instead of TN Film, which is a more expensive tech to produce
- Many more inputs and ergonomic adjustments available
- Superior build quality and materials
- more features such as 1:1 pixel mapping, HDCP support etc

it is an expensive thing to buy, but significantly better than a 22" model in practice and on paper.

Soldato
It was only like 3-4 months back when 24inch dells were like £550+.... thats when I thought okay.... 22inch Sammy S panel it is ;)

So the price has gone down a lot better for the Dells, but id also agree it is rather expensive, its like paying 2x just for 2 inches of pleasure.

I belive we will see 24inch @ £199.99 and the reason is theres a lovely Acer 24inch with just VGA for £239.99 available.

But I doubt the dell will be around £200, proberly £300-£350 within 8-12 months.

Soldato
It's like saying why pay £100K for a Ferrari when you can get a Citroen for £6K. They both get you from A to B. Or why spend £100 on a bottle of wine when you can get one for £5.

At the end of the day if you're not happy with the value for money as you perceive it then you just don't buy it. Baddass has already covered the extra you get for your money and why it's more expensive so I won't go over that again, but clearly lots of people do think it's worth it. The 2407WFP is miles better value than it used to be.

Soldato
Just saying quality stuff costs more, always has done, always will. Ok then a Honda for £10K and a Citroen for £6K :) The Acer you mention had a bad reputation for poor build quality on these forums and OcUK stopped selling it (if it's the one I'm thinking of).

You can always find an example to make something look like poor value. The SM226BW looks poor value compared to the Hyundai 22" at £158. The SM245T at £622 looks poor value compared to the 2407WFP. They're all poor value compared to a 19" widescreen for under £120 if you're talking square inches per pound. The 2407WFP is still the cheapest 24" with a premium panel.

OcUK Staff
What, ever? You are honestly saying that no Dell 24" will ever retail for less than £300? It is you that is dreaming about nice high retail prices ;)

All you have to do is look at the historical TFT market to see how price trends move over time.

Hi there

I did not say never, but you quoted £200 by Jan 08, which to be frank is dreaming, the fact is you'll be lucky to see them for £300 new by Jan 08, in fact pricing on the DELL's will no doubt hold stable at the £350-£400 mark for another 6 months or so, unless the competition in the 24" market becomes more fierce, but a DELL 2407WFP for £200 by Jan 08 is dreaming plain and simple.

Don't lecture me over historical TFT market and price trends, I know all to well about those and clearly you do not if your expecting the DELL to hit £200 by Jan 08.

Yea the dell is not £200 nicer than the acer.

I would personally spend the £200 extra for the DELL anyday. :)

OcUK Staff
which model Acer?

Hi m8

I believe its the 2416WB, it looks like a PVA panel so might not be too bad but not 100% sure.

We have being offered these, but we generally steer clear of Acer but they are very cheap as Acer are clearing stock because they never sold originally and as such I believe they are now being sold to clear.

If OcUK took some of these we'd be selling around £215+VAT.

Man of Honour
hi mate

yeah, thought it might be those, but wanted to check. there's the AL2416W / AL2416Ws which are S-PVA based (spec),but then there's also the (confusingly named) AL2416WB which uses a 5ms TN Film panel.

Regardless, build quality and materials on Acer monitors are budget, and nowhere near as quality as the Dell models. Ergonomic adjustments are limited, interface options are fewer and design is not nearly as nice (imo). As you said Gibbo, I'd personally take the Dell any day. However, that's a nice price if it's the S-PVA model available for £215

Back
Top Bottom