• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700 or wait ?

Soldato
How do we know its going to be amazing?

Im not saying it wont be by the way, i am just wondering if i have missed something?

What is Zen2 likely to bring over a 2700x? 15%?

The 3700x should have up to a 15% higher IPC, at least 10% higher clocks and 4 extra cores compared with the 2700x for a similar price to the 2700x when it was released last year.

Associate
So realistically, the 3700x would match say..an 8700k in IPC? That would be amazing if true and will snap it up in an instant.

Hardware Unboxed made a comparison and found that the R5 2600 @ 4.2GHz pretty much keeping up with an i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz in gaming. It has to be paired with some fast RAM and tight timing. A 3466 MHz CL14 helped.

Soldato
Hardware Unboxed made a comparison and found that the R5 2600 @ 4.2GHz pretty much keeping up with an i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz in gaming. It has to be paired with some fast RAM and tight timing. A 3466 MHz CL14 helped.
Im no Intel fanboi but that's quite a bold statement. I would suspect that in MOST games the 8700K is faster (ignoring GPU bottlenecks.)

Associate
Associate
TBH I bit and bought a Ryzen 2700 for £206 and an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard for £162 and am finally rid of Intel's quad core CPU's. With Zen 3 coming out in 2020 it should still be on the AM4 platform so I can easily upgrade to that If I want with a simple bios upgrade. If it's not AM4 I can still buy a Zen 2 processor when the price drops before Zen 3 and be a happy camper. With a 7700K I was on a dead platform with zero upgrade options. I figured that if I needed to get a new motherboard I might as well dump Intel and buy AMD with 2x cores and threads for a fraction of the price I paid for the 7700K excluding the cooler! Simples.

Associate
One would have to be absolutely desperate to buy now, given than Zen+ will drop further when Zen 2 releases in 2 months.

It depends on your circumstances. I gave my son my old 7700K, mobo and bought him 16gb DDR4 ram so we both won really as he's moving from 2500K and DDR3 ram. I can still buy Zen 2 later on as my Asus mobo already has a bios update for it. It will take at least a year for Zen 2 8/12 core cpu's to drop anywhere near £200 which is what I paid for my 2700. Having installed it I can say I'm a happy chappy as it's <3% slower than my 7700K which was clocked at 4.7 and my 2700 is clocked at 3.8. It's also absolutely silent which I find amazing TBH but that might be down to my Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 cooler.

Soldato
What is Zen2 likely to bring over a 2700x? 15%?

What it's likely to bring is pure speculation but some details have been confirmed, things like improvements to the branch prediction unit (improved prefetcher), larger µOP cache, increased dispatch bandwidth, increased retire bandwidth, improved FPU (2x wider datapath, execution units, and load-store units), PCIe 4.0, and Infinity Fabric 2 (2.3x transfer rate per link).

Associate
I have to say I'm happy with my new system for the price/performance and I've got rid of Shintel and now have a 8c/16t CPU for a fraction of the cost of my old 7770K system, YEAH.

Soldato
One would have to be absolutely desperate to buy now, given than Zen+ will drop further when Zen 2 releases in 2 months.

You seem to be forgetting the anticipated higher end Zen2 prices are ‘similar to’ the launch prices of the 2700X... we’ve seen those as low as £160 which is less than half the launch price. Anyone expecting to pay today’s prices for a top end Zen2 part is likely to be disappointed.

Soldato
It depends on your circumstances. I gave my son my old 7700K, mobo and bought him 16gb DDR4 ram so we both won really as he's moving from 2500K and DDR3 ram. I can still buy Zen 2 later on as my Asus mobo already has a bios update for it. It will take at least a year for Zen 2 8/12 core cpu's to drop anywhere near £200 which is what I paid for my 2700. Having installed it I can say I'm a happy chappy as it's <3% slower than my 7700K which was clocked at 4.7 and my 2700 is clocked at 3.8. It's also absolutely silent which I find amazing TBH but that might be down to my Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 cooler.

Was going from a 7700k much of a performance difference for you though, do you play games?
I have the 6700k which is very similar CPU to you and was told it's not worth it. I got given that advice due to wanting to go 4k, what resolution you playing at?

Associate
Was going from a 7700k much of a performance difference for you though, do you play games?
I have the 6700k which is very similar CPU to you and was told it's not worth it. I got given that advice due to wanting to go 4k, what resolution you playing at?

Basically it's down to what you call 'value'. This suited me because I could upgrade my son's old machine at the same time so I think it's fantastic value for me. I game at 1440p on a 144hz freesync monitor so I'm GPU bound mostly and I can personally tell no difference between the two CPU's. All games are fluid and play exceptionally well. If I use synthetic game benchmarks then there is about a 0 to 5% difference for the 7700K over the 2700. This is just on my testing and the 7700K was clocked at 4.8 on all cores so I would chalk that down as a good result for my new Ryzen but, as I said, you don't notice that in actual games.

I've overclocked the 2700 to 3.8 on all cores and I know it will go higher with my cooling but it means upping the vcore so more heat for really no gain. My 7700K easily over clocked to 5ghz with same cooling but other than in benchmarks it never showed up in games other than more heat and power. Personally I couldn't be happier with my purchase especially as I only paid £362 for CPU and decent X470 mobo. That won't even get me a 9700K on it's own! Don't forget you're on a dead platform with the 6700K as I was so any new CPU you buy you need to buy a new mobo. The good thing with the 2700 is AMD are supporting the AM4 socket until 2020 which means Zen 2 will be compatible (Asus have already issued the bios for my X470 Prime Pro) and most probably Zen 3 which is due in 2020. I was no longer prepared to pay Shintel's stupid prices so going to Ryzen was a no brainer.

For 4K gaming if you read the reviews the results are even narrower as you are definitely GPU bound in nearly all cases so you would really benefit in getting the fastest GPU if you can afford £1,000 for a 2080ti. At 4k the CPU is not really going to be your bottleneck so whichever way you decide you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom