• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

290X + ROG Swift = flickering and black screen

Associate
Also just to confirm ( Greg already knows ) that I am successfully running 120HZ on an ASUS ROG SWIFT with a 295X2. I personally believe its a cable issue, some like to work and some don't (I've had two cables and one adapter and only one cable has achieved a stable 120hz without flickering or black screening)

Associate
This is the make and model of my cable: StarTech.com 3m Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M - DisplayPort 4k - MDP2DPMM3M

I know this is for a mini DP but im sure the equivalent can be had

Caporegime
OP
Right, I have tried using the ROG site for monitor drivers but only a program called multi frame - I have tried the original Asus lead that came with the monitor as well as 2 other leads and no go. Other than reinstalling older drivers, I am out of ideas. I have 85Hz running and that will hopefully help with the tearing but still no go on COD:AW but I will hunt for the windowed command in that.

Thanks all for the suggestions and really appreciated. I would have thought the Startech lead would have sorted it but sadly not :(

Don
Right, I have tried using the ROG site for monitor drivers but only a program called multi frame - I have tried the original Asus lead that came with the monitor as well as 2 other leads and no go. Other than reinstalling older drivers, I am out of ideas. I have 85Hz running and that will hopefully help with the tearing but still no go on COD:AW but I will hunt for the windowed command in that.

Thanks all for the suggestions and really appreciated. I would have thought the Startech lead would have sorted it but sadly not :(

Greg, their is a driver for it. Just takes a bit of finding!

Don
Taken from the ROG forum

I noticed several people having the same problem with screen flickering on this monitor, as I had

I have 3x R9 290X in crossfire and 144Hz flickered to the point where it was unusable, but I found a workaround.

I used ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) to create a custom timing at 144Hz that eliminated the flickering for me. I dumped the timings from the EDID using Linux since the CRU doesn't recognize the extension block used in the Swift.

The timings for 144 Hz are the following according to the EDID:

Active: 2560
Front Porch: 4
Sync Width: 16
Back Porch: 2

Active: 1440
Front Porch: 1
Sync Width: 1
Back Porch: 7
Pixel Clock: 538.8 MHz

I added these into the CRU for the EDID override just to make sure they were correct, and they were. The monitor was doing the same strange flickering.

I then started to tweak the timings slightly and i noticed some improvement on the image when increasing the sync width and other things. For me, what eliminated all flickering was the following timings:

Horizontal:
Active: 2560
Front Porch: 8
Sync Width: 16
Back Porch: 16

Vertical:
Active: 1440
Front Porch: 1
Sync Width: 1
Back Porch: 7

Pixel Clock: 542.58 MHz

This has slightly more sync timings at the expensive of a higher Pixel Clock, but the monitor seems to handle it fine, and there is no more flicker @ 144Hz! I tested and there is no frame skip or any such thing, so the refresh rate appears correct.

Those of you who are having this problem try this out and see if it fixes it for you.

On my phone but I will see if I still have the driver tomorrow Greg.

Caporegime
OP
Installed that and took it from Generic pnp to device manager seeing the proper monitor but still no go :( 85Hz it is then and that will be fine till either new drivers or I swap cards :)

Caporegime
OP
Fancy its a driver issue myself as I had a similar issue with DP/4K/60Hz and 290, was ok for Nvidia cards, driver fixed it. :)

Quite possible but I will put up with it. I am off Thursday till Saturday, so might have a play with sorting it then but I am spending more time trying to sort it than actually gaming :mad:

Soldato
Eh? They don't need to understand Gsync to make the monitor work. Without a GPU which handles Gsync it'll surely just get bypassed.

You can't bypass the module. Everything goes through it.

As for you saying that Greg's titans work then it's obviously the AMD card that's the problem, not necessarily. I have a friend who has the Swift which worked fine for him on his 780ti, but had the exact same issue as Greg is having now when he upgraded and bought two 980s. He thought it was the cards and returned them, but Overclockers said the cards were working fine. they sent out two more anyway, and guess what? Same issue, and again OcUK said the cards were perfect. As you can imagine my friend was pretty fed up at this stage and just wanted his money back. He bought a 970 to carry him over until new cards come out. It worked on the swift fine, no issues at all.

Associate
It's the AMD cards.

I had the exact issue when I had an AMD R9 295x2. When I got the Rog Swift monitor, it was unusable at 144 hz, and 120+100hz would cause a blank screen here and there, only 85hz and under was usable.

From what I read it pretty much needs a card that uses G-Sync for it to function at those refresh rates. So I returned my R9 295x2 and replaced it with 2x GTX 980's and all the issues disappeared.

Soldato
This is why I always go BenQ tee hee :D
BenQ freesync monitors also have problems at 144hz with AMD GPU's ;)

Two Quotes taken from the ** THE FIRST FREESYNC MONITOR ARRIVES AT OcUK!! BenQ XL2730Z ** thread
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27739986#post27739986
Shame the 144hz is not working correctly. I am getting major flickering.

Mine arrived, yay!

And I too get crazy flicker if I set it to 144Hz. It's fine at 120. I might try replacing the DisplayPort cable with something snake-oil-y like a Monster Cable. Just for academic purposes, you understand. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't bypass the module. Everything goes through it.

Link?

As for you saying that Greg's titans work then it's obviously the AMD card that's the problem, not necessarily. I have a friend who has the Swift which worked fine for him on his 780ti, but had the exact same issue as Greg is having now when he upgraded and bought two 980s. He thought it was the cards and returned them, but Overclockers said the cards were working fine. they sent out two more anyway, and guess what? Same issue, and again OcUK said the cards were perfect. As you can imagine my friend was pretty fed up at this stage and just wanted his money back. He bought a 970 to carry him over until new cards come out. It worked on the swift fine, no issues at all.

I didn't say it was definitely the AMD cards. I said I am assuming that based on the info available. Read.

Soldato
So, big apologies for the huge necro bump, but I have this issue, same GPU and a ROG Swift PG278Q. Just wondering if Gregster ever got to the bottom of this?

I've ordered a nice gold plate DP cable, will see if that helps.

Caporegime
OP
So, big apologies for the huge necro bump, but I have this issue, same GPU and a ROG Swift PG278Q. Just wondering if Gregster ever got to the bottom of this?

I've ordered a nice gold plate DP cable, will see if that helps.
I had 3 cables and bought I different one which sorted the issue. Hopefully it will do the same for you. Strange thing was, I never had any flickering with NVidia but as soon as I plugged the 290X in, flicker city :(

Back
Top Bottom