• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Ace

Ace

Associate
Yeah the MX5 I used is making good contact, could it be the pads on the back of the card? I haven't replaced those yet but they didn't exactly hold together very well. Thought I'd leave the back until I know the other side went well but now I don't know what to think. The pads all are clearly making good contact on the front as is the thermal compound.

Soldato
Yeah the MX5 I used is making good contact, could it be the pads on the back of the card? I haven't replaced those yet but they didn't exactly hold together very well. Thought I'd leave the back until I know the other side went well but now I don't know what to think. The pads all are clearly making good contact on the front as is the thermal compound.
backplate doesnt matter unless they broke apart when taking apart, would recommend not changing them also if you use extreme gelid for the back they melt and get stuck inbetween the pcb and chips nightmare if ever need to replace later no issue with on die side though , I used 1.5mm gelid ulitmate for the die side so extreme 1.5mm shouldnt be issue either , delta to hotspot was 10c at first now after 8 months its now 12c I used paste Syy157 it was recommended as its thicker and as the die is curved its less prone to pump out overtime

not sure why you are getting such high hotspot , when I had that is when I used 2mm extreme gelid on die side

Ace

Ace

Associate
Are you saying you only used 1.5mm on the die side?

I followed an image I found that shows the new and old version, I apparently have the newer version and it says to use 1.5mm on the ram and 2mm on everything else.

Soldato
Are you saying you only used 1.5mm on the die side?

I followed an image I found that shows the new and old version, I apparently have the newer version and it says to use 1.5mm on the ram and 2mm on everything else.
yeah die side
I've actually had 2 3080fe year apart , very first one worked fine with 2mm extreme die side no issues , second one didnt but worked fine with 1.5mm ultimate

Guess what recently decided to redo the very first card that worked fine with 2mm extreme , so could try syy157 paste and new pack of 2mm extreme and got high delta 100c+ redone with 1.5mm ultimate and solved it

dont think anythings changed with the cards , imo gelid that changed the hardness of the pads must have changed manufacturing since the early guides when 2mm worked

Not sure why you are having issues with 1.5mm, I would suggest to get 1.5mm ultimate and make sure to spread the paste

Ace

Ace

Associate
okay thanks for your help, I'll see what I can make of this mess but I think I am going to have to order some more 1.5mm.

Soldato
3080FE GP-Extreme pads 2mm and 1.5mm, using only 2mm caused the die not to make any contact at all. Core and ram temps barely hit 70c during stress test but hotspot is still hitting 95c even after reseating it all.
Did you slap plenty of paste on the die?

Ace

Ace

Associate
1.5mm ultimate pads helped a lot, memory and core temps are much better. Hotspot is still higher than I would expect, I guess MX5 wasn't the best choice. I'm going to leave it for now though as it's better than it was and I am sick of messing with it. :)

Ace

Ace

Associate
I couldn't let it go :) I ordered some Syy 157 and man is that stuff hard to spread and keep on the die, even after heating it up. It worked nicely though dropped the hotspot 10c compared to MX-5.

Associate
Hey folks, sorry to bump. Was just curious what the current consensus is before I start ordering pads!

From what I can understand after reading the thread, more recently people have been going for 1.5mm ultimates which have yielded decent success. The question I have is if that's 1.5mm across the whole front or just for the VRAM, with the VRMs getting 2mm, as per the photo guide floating about?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Hey folks, sorry to bump. Was just curious what the current consensus is before I start ordering pads!

From what I can understand after reading the thread, more recently people have been going for 1.5mm ultimates which have yielded decent success. The question I have is if that's 1.5mm across the whole front or just for the VRAM, with the VRMs getting 2mm, as per the photo guide floating about?

Thanks in advance
I wouldn't bother wasting your time now that ETH mining is done.

Soldato
Fair point, though from what I've read even when gaming VRAM temps can be a bit unruly(?)

Planning to keep the card for a good 3 years minimum so want to prolong its life as much as I can
Have you checked VRAM temps while gaming?

Last edited:
Associate
Have you checked VRAM temps while gaming?
Most titles are pretty normal, hovering around 70-80 but every now and then I see 95-97 which seems a bit high to me. Easy option would be to RMA but since I bought the card second hand I'd be surprised if I'm able to

Soldato
Most titles are pretty normal, hovering around 70-80 but every now and then I see 95-97 which seems a bit high to me. Easy option would be to RMA but since I bought the card second hand I'd be surprised if I'm able to
110 is when the cards start to throttle and 120 is when VRAM starts to degrade.

I ran one at 106c 24/7 during the mining boom for 18 months and it's still perfectly fine today

Back
Top Bottom