• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
I'm not quite sure why as the prices are remaining at RRP but IMO PS5 availability is being manipulated - I understand to an extent the retailers releasing stock in blocks of smaller quantities to prevent their web-sites being overloaded and to try and prevent scalpers getting the lot in one go, etc. but there is a lot more quantity coming into the UK that seems to just sit around for weeks or even months on end before moving.

I said in the PS5 thread, I feel the PS5 situation is self inflicted by the retailers, I think if they just opened up pre orders round the clock after the initial surge it would calm down. The issue is though I think a lot of people are not very patient, and not everyone is like me not minding waiting months for delivery. Their websites get overloaded because they forcing everyone on to them at the same time.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Maybe that guy didn't get as far as removing the pads though after taking the backplate of and seeing the component damage.

As you say though it's taking a risk swapping the pads, you don't really gain any extra performance bar some extra hash rate from it and if the card fails due to the memory running too hot then nvidia will just replace it anyway.

Sure, but the danger is NV has tuned it so memory that has consistent mining load fails shortly outside warranty. Or you just get unlucky. Coupled with the fact that DDR6x is new and not battle tested, it's a gamble either way.

seems clear to me that NV will honour the warranty if you don't mess up. so I'll do the mod and take my (I think) better chances, and better hashrate. but everyone has to make that call for themselves.

Associate
For me it's more about the noise of the card - it's super loud and distracting. I thought my 980 ti FE was loud but this is something else! Seems to be once it goes over 1500 rpm (which is already pretty loud) and goes up to 2100rpm+. You can hear it throughout my home and this is just during gaming. I don't mine but I do render on the machine sometimes. Using HWINFO it's when the memory junc gets to 108 that things get noisy.

As @Stu said - I'd be happy with a definitive answer from nVidia re warranty and I'd be happy to do the mod myself. I've done it a couple of times before on older cards and know it's not a big deal.

A2B

A2B

Associate
right, so if it also happens in non-mining workloads that really isn't acceptable, given that quality padding solves it. if supply weren't a mess, we could band together and insist nivida replace the cards under warranty. no idea if it would work, but it would make a point at least. though right now we're probably on our own.

A2B

A2B

Associate
btw I forgot to mention my die temperature when hashing on my 3080fe: undervolted to ~712mv (Afterburner won't let me go lower), @95mh/s, die @ 64C - yet memory still throttles at 108-110C. what's wrong with this picture? missing pads.

design flaw clear and simple.

Soldato
btw I forgot to mention my die temperature when hashing on my 3080fe: undervolted to ~712mv (Afterburner won't let me go lower), @95mh/s, die @ 64C - yet memory still throttles at 108-110C. what's wrong with this picture? missing pads.

design flaw clear and simple.
What speed do you have the fans set @?

Associate
For me it's more about the noise of the card - it's super loud and distracting. I thought my 980 ti FE was loud but this is something else! Seems to be once it goes over 1500 rpm (which is already pretty loud) and goes up to 2100rpm+. You can hear it throughout my home and this is just during gaming. I don't mine but I do render on the machine sometimes. Using HWINFO it's when the memory junc gets to 108 that things get noisy.

As @Stu said - I'd be happy with a definitive answer from nVidia re warranty and I'd be happy to do the mod myself. I've done it a couple of times before on older cards and know it's not a big deal.

Bought my 3090FE just after xmas.
If you have decent case airflow you should be able to keep the memory junction temps at a level where the fans don't need to spin up that high.
I had a poor case for airflow and used to hit about 104 under heavy gaming load with ray tracing on, fans were occasionally pushing 2K.
Took the front of the case, got decent fans and set up fan curves and now I top out at 100 ram and high 60s core with the GPU fans at about 1400 max. Using argus monitor for case fan speeds linked to cpu, gpu core and junction temp. I can be hammering one or all depending on what I'm up to.
Rendering stresses the memory more than the core. Iray and Optix get the ram up to 102 while the core is only low 60s.

Associate
Bought my 3090FE just after xmas.
If you have decent case airflow you should be able to keep the memory junction temps at a level where the fans don't need to spin up that high.
I had a poor case for airflow and used to hit about 104 under heavy gaming load with ray tracing on, fans were occasionally pushing 2K.
Took the front of the case, got decent fans and set up fan curves and now I top out at 100 ram and high 60s core with the GPU fans at about 1400 max. Using argus monitor for case fan speeds linked to cpu, gpu core and junction temp. I can be hammering one or all depending on what I'm up to.
Rendering stresses the memory more than the core. Iray and Optix get the ram up to 102 while the core is only low 60s.

Hey thanks newuser - I have 6 case fans and front and top panels off but it still struggles. At a certain point I'm just replacing the GPU fan noise with case fan noise! Core's never been an issue for me - just the memory.

Associate
Maybe that guy didn't get as far as removing the pads though after taking the backplate of and seeing the component damage.

As you say though it's taking a risk swapping the pads, you don't really gain any extra performance bar some extra hash rate from it and if the card fails due to the memory running too hot then nvidia will just replace it anyway.
For me it wasn't about performance, but noise. Stock, as soon as the vram hits 104, the fans go to jet-take off noise. And I had multiple games that would do this. GTA V being the most consistent to get the VRAM temp that high. Fans would go to like 2000rpm.

After changing just the back thermal pads, temps never exceed 96. Not a huge drop, but enough to prevent jet-take-off from the fans.
Now they sit at 1300rpm while gaming, which is much more tolerable.

I also dont really like the attitude of "well lets just have it fail and then claim warranty"
I wouldnt do that with my car? "Ah the water temps way high, but **** it. If the engine fails ill just claim warranty"
Not in the same ball park I know... but why should we accept that with expensive electronics when we dont with cars?

Its also kinda funny to think "I know this could be a problem, but I wont fix it and then claim on warranty, as fixing it MIGHT cause warranty issues" (well...if I fixed it I might never need the warranty anyway!)

Soldato
Will anyone want one given the 3070/3080Ti's are dropping shortly?

Yeah they will go for them because we dont know what is dropping with the mythical TI's (thats a sarcastic description btw) . Might be thin air.

What speed do you have the fans set @?

I could do with some recommendations of fan curves - people talk about it but never actually show the curve they set.

Soldato
Will anyone want one given the 3070/3080Ti's are dropping shortly?
Of course they will. The German ones today sold out in seconds. The 3080 will still be far better value than the 3080 Ti at FE pricing, even if the Ti comes in at the lower end of what people are saying.

Associate
For me it wasn't about performance, but noise. Stock, as soon as the vram hits 104, the fans go to jet-take off noise. And I had multiple games that would do this. GTA V being the most consistent to get the VRAM temp that high. Fans would go to like 2000rpm.

After changing just the back thermal pads, temps never exceed 96. Not a huge drop, but enough to prevent jet-take-off from the fans.
Now they sit at 1300rpm while gaming, which is much more tolerable.

I also dont really like the attitude of "well lets just have it fail and then claim warranty"
I wouldnt do that with my car? "Ah the water temps way high, but **** it. If the engine fails ill just claim warranty"
Not in the same ball park I know... but why should we accept that with expensive electronics when we dont with cars?

Its also kinda funny to think "I know this could be a problem, but I wont fix it and then claim on warranty, as fixing it MIGHT cause warranty issues" (well...if I fixed it I might never need the warranty anyway!)

I'm so tempted to just do it and risk the warranty. If it was a £200 card I would have done it already but a card now going for £2500..

Back
Top Bottom