31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Associate
Christ - erm, I have no idea, let me see if I can find out!
Thanks muchly! I'd guess it's entirely likely a dead-end... it's not like LG's positioning this as a professional-grade graphics monitor, but I know there's sometimes some extra goodies available if you're okay risking a dive into the service menu.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm considering getting an i1Display Pro too (if I get a projector later this year), and have my eye on the upcoming 34GK950G, so access to additional settings is of interest!

Soldato
Thanks muchly! I'd guess it's entirely likely a dead-end... it's not like LG's positioning this as a professional-grade graphics monitor, but I know there's sometimes some extra goodies available if you're okay risking a dive into the service menu.

Hopefully Daniel comes back to you, but we need a full list of all the settings please for everyone to calibrate their monitors :D

Man of Honour
I don’t believe the factory menu has any additional colour or calibration controls. You shouldn’t need them really anyway given the controls in the main OSD

Associate
I don’t believe the factory menu has any additional colour or calibration controls. You shouldn’t need them really anyway given the controls in the main OSD
Hmm, figured as much.

The gamma modes are close enough, and mine is a niche case, but it would be nice to be able to more precisely calibrate the monitor in-hardware. ICC profiles are pain in the ass, and as I'm doing colour-important work, but not colour-critical work, I like to get as close as I can using hardware and skip the applying the calibration profile.
At the end of the day, I can't complain... if I need it closer than this, I guess I can just selectively turn on colour management, or plug in a second monitor for colour work.

Makes me wonder though... we have 0-100 sliders for everything on most monitors these days, but they invariably seem limited to a small selection of pre-set gamma settings. Is there some technical limitation stopping monitor manufacturers just have a full gamma slider in the OSD?

Associate
On the lookout for a new screen, this seems to tick all the boxes. My current VA is too slow and gives trails on anything black. (Acer z35) I haven't looked through this entire thread but are there any words on pricing?
Agreed this thing has the full package. I’ll wait until these monitors are priced sub 500 though.

Associate
So pretty happy with mine as an upgrade from XB271HU. Compared to XB271HU IPS:

+ After dialing in gamma mode 3, 3000:1 contrast image is immediately noticeable even in web browsing. All the colors stand our more clearly from each other, the image has more 'pop'.
+ This, combined with the removal of IPS glow in games, is like a layer of fog is removed. All details in dark environments become visible - and they just look better with higher contrast.
+ These improvements come with response times definitely on par of the IPS. Only a tiny bit smear effect is visible in certain scenarios when you look for it, otherwise I think its even slightly better.
+ Very uniform image, no patterns of any sort at any colors
- Lower PPI is visible as expected. And 31.5" doesn't make sense, when 30.6" would have given exactly 96 PPI that Windows is designed for.

The backlight bleed experience:
In daylight, or if you have a room lamp on (the monitor's rear light is not enough), black image is 100% uniform inky black, looks impressive. But it's not as BLB perfect as you might've thought from the praise.

Pitch black room test from 3m away reveals 5 clouding spots even at calibrated brightness. For the naked eye, from viewing position, you can only slightly see the middle one when you specifically look for it and the image is completely black.

Last edited:
Soldato
So pretty happy with mine as an upgrade from XB271HU. Compared to XB271HU IPS:

+ After dialing in gamma mode 3, 3000:1 contrast image is immediately noticeable even in web browsing. All the colors stand our more clearly from each other, the image has more 'pop'.
+ This, combined with the removal of IPS glow in games, is like a layer of fog is removed. All details in dark environments become visible - and they just look better with higher contrast.
+ These improvements come with response times definitely on par of the IPS. Only a tiny bit smear effect is visible in certain scenarios when you look for it, otherwise I think its even slightly better.
+ Very uniform image, no patterns of any sort at any colors
- Lower PPI is visible as expected. And 31.5" doesn't make sense, when 30.6" would have given exactly 96 PPI that Windows is designed for.

The backlight bleed experience:
In daylight, or if you have a room lamp on (the monitor's rear light is not enough), black image is 100% uniform inky black, looks impressive. But it's not as BLB perfect as you might've thought from the praise.

Pitch black room test from 3m away reveals 5 clouding spots even at calibrated brightness. For the naked eye, from viewing position, you can only slightly see the middle one when you specifically look for it and the image is completely black.

How would you rate the smearing/trailing? especially black/dark transitions? Its seems to be the bane of every VA ive had my hands on so fare with some being insanely bad.

Associate
How would you rate the smearing/trailing? especially black/dark transitions? Its seems to be the bane of every VA ive had my hands on so fare with some being insanely bad.
Not insanely bad, but the smearing is there - don't make your purchase expecting it'll be as good as IPS in dark transitions.

When I adjust response time to the fastest option, it has about equal OD artifacts to the 'Normal' mode on XB271HU, and it becomes very acceptable in problem transitions. In bright scenarios I think it is slightly better than the XB271HU.

I took this clip of a problematic transition, demonstrates pretty good how well the overdrive combats it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHktI9V-J0

Last edited:
Soldato
When I adjust response time to the fastest option, it has about equal OD artifacts to the 'Normal' mode on XB271HU, and it becomes very acceptable in problem transitions. In bright scenarios I think it is slightly better than the XB271HU.

I took this clip of a problematic transition, demonstrates pretty good how well the overdrive combats it:

Blimey, it does make a noticeable difference

Soldato
Not insanely bad, but the smearing is there - don't make your purchase expecting it'll be as good as IPS in dark transitions.

First of all thank you a ton for sharing this and actually trying to demonstrate it. It looks to me that its overshooting a little bit(dark shadow infront of moving object) without Overdrive and that turns into a slight smear when set to fastest. Overall it seems a lot better than the VAs ive seen from samsung.

Associate
First of all thank you a ton for sharing this and actually trying to demonstrate it. It looks to me that its overshooting a little bit(dark shadow infront of moving object) without Overdrive and that turns into a slight smear when set to fastest. Overall it seems a lot better than the VAs ive seen from samsung.
Probably pedantic, but there can't really be any overshoot with overdrive disabled - overdrive is the sole thing that causes overshoot. What's there is more like undershoot. I've found it to be pretty well controlled overall. With overdrive disabled, there's a fair bit of smearing. Up to Fast, it reins it in without noticable overshoot. Set to Faster, it does overshoot to a detectable degree depending on scene, but it's certainly not horrible.

That video actually gives a reasonable impression of what the screen is like in person (except overall the effect is less noticable than with the zoomed in framing, because you aren't generally sitting with your face pressed up against it :p)
The smearing is there, but it's far from intrusive - the transitions cover ground quickly, but just take a little time to settle, so you don't get the feeling of full-on black-crush that you see on some VAs, just a hint of trailing.

Soldato
Probably pedantic, but there can't really be any overshoot with overdrive disabled - overdrive is the sole thing that causes overshoot. What's there is more like undershoot. I've found it to be pretty well controlled overall. With overdrive disabled, there's a fair bit of smearing. Up to Fast, it reins it in without noticable overshoot. Set to Faster, it does overshoot to a detectable degree depending on scene, but it's certainly not horrible.

That video actually gives a reasonable impression of what the screen is like in person (except overall the effect is less noticable than with the zoomed in framing, because you aren't generally sitting with your face pressed up against it :p)
The smearing is there, but it's far from intrusive - the transitions cover ground quickly, but just take a little time to settle, so you don't get the feeling of full-on black-crush that you see on some VAs, just a hint of trailing.

Its alright to be a bit pedantic. I didn't know how else to describe the effect i saw so i used overshot to make my point. chalk it down to poor english :).

Associate
TFT Central review now completed and online: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm

Huh, how strange - I found gamma mode 1 to be the furthest from 2.2, mode 2 to be closest, and mode 3 slightly preferable because it was close but slightly darker.
Starting to wonder if my methodology with the i1 DisplayPro might be completely wrong :p I'm using DisplayCAL and its "Office & Web(D65, Gamma 2.2)" profile, as I understood that to be preferable to using the sRGB profile, as monitor defaults usually target Gamma 2.2 rather than sRGB. Is that barking up the wrong tree?

Also, with the default Contrast value of 70 - I found the RGB channels would clip at any value above 50 (ie, white-balance wouldn't change for any setting over 50, and some upper range would be lost)
Did you find it wasn't with contrast 70 and RGB of 45/45/55?

Edit: Hmm, checked again, using both DisplayCAL and X-Rrite i1Profiler.
Unless my colorimeter has drifted for some reason, it looks like the monitor has - my white-point is slightly different now (although only by a couple of points on the RGB sliders. Still gives a green cast by default, with the red and blue pretty much matched).
My gamma definitely hits closest to 2.2 with Mode 2 - in both apps. Mode 1 is the furthest from correct, with Mode 3 a bit closer on the dark end.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Huh, how strange - I found gamma mode 1 to be the furthest from 2.2, mode 2 to be closest, and mode 3 slightly preferable because it was close but slightly darker.
Starting to wonder if my methodology with the i1 DisplayPro might be completely wrong :p I'm using DisplayCAL and its "Office & Web(D65, Gamma 2.2)" profile, as I understood that to be preferable to using the sRGB profile, as monitor defaults usually target Gamma 2.2 rather than sRGB. Is that barking up the wrong tree?

I've just reset everything and tested again and get the same results for each gamma mode. I'm using an i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and validated the same results with LaCie Blue Eye Pro software (as used in the review) and with ChromaPure 3 as well. Chromapure results for reference:

mode 1 = 2.13
mode 2 = 2.31
mode 3 = 2.51

I expect the difference you're seeing is either down to variance in the monitor sample, variance perhaps in your graphics card set up (i assume you've double checked no ICC profile or gamma correction is active?) or most likely variance because of the i1 Display Pro device. that is a very good device, although it doesn't always manage reading different backlight technologies that well, and so you may be seeing some error because of that compared with a more versatile spetrophotometer device.

Also, with the default Contrast value of 70 - I found the RGB channels would clip at any value above 50 (ie, white-balance wouldn't change for any setting over 50, and some upper range would be lost)
Did you find it wasn't with contrast 70 and RGB of 45/45/55?
Changing the RGB levels about 50 certainly has an impact on white point on the unit i'm using. ie changing red slider makes image warmer and more red and so on for green and blue. that's with default 70% contrast setting left alone. Not see any specific upper range loss, but let me know if there's a specific check or test you're doing for this and i can have a look

Associate
I've just reset everything and tested again and get the same results for each gamma mode. I'm using an i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and validated the same results with LaCie Blue Eye Pro software (as used in the review) and with ChromaPure 3 as well. Chromapure results for reference:

mode 1 = 2.13
mode 2 = 2.31
mode 3 = 2.51

I expect the difference you're seeing is either down to variance in the monitor sample, variance perhaps in your graphics card set up (i assume you've double checked no ICC profile or gamma correction is active?) or most likely variance because of the i1 Display Pro device. that is a very good device, although it doesn't always manage reading different backlight technologies that well, and so you may be seeing some error because of that compared with a more versatile spetrophotometer device.

Changing the RGB levels about 50 certainly has an impact on white point on the unit i'm using. ie changing red slider makes image warmer and more red and so on for green and blue. that's with default 70% contrast setting left alone. Not see any specific upper range loss, but let me know if there's a specific check or test you're doing for this and i can have a look
Mine acts like with dw28, mode 1 is extremely washed out, mode 3 closest but slightly on the dark side.

Have you tested for pixel inversion vertical lines? I'm lately starting to notice it, it's slightly visible vertical lines every now and then. For example with bright graphics in PUBG, they tend to try to show themselves. At first I thought it was just the lower PPI catching to my eye after XB271HU.

Permabanned
This will be my next monitor unless a 4K version is introduced. The poor contrast on IPS has become a deal breaker for me now; not going to buy another IPS screen again.

Just waiting for my POS ASUS to die on me which with the amount of new dead pixels appearing I don't think I will have long to wait.

Associate

Any RGB value over 50 while keeping contrast at default 70 and upper range colors start to blend in on lagom's contrast test:

www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Back
Top Bottom