31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Associate
IMO once you try a good VA it's impossible to settle for washed out blacks.
All the dark section in games just feel much more immersive when what is supposed to be dark actually looks dark.

But then again I've always been passionate about deep blacks on my screens, I guess some people aren't as bothered.

Soldato
IMO once you try a good VA it's impossible to settle for washed out blacks.
All the dark section in games just feel much more immersive when what is supposed to be dark actually looks dark.

But then again I've always been passionate about deep blacks on my screens, I guess some people aren't as bothered.

I do find IPS pretty good as a PC monitor, depends what compromises you want to make and what you use it for, the LG might be better overall though as it is 144hz compared to 100hz, very difficult to know as one person will say "colours are washed out and has black smearing" another person will say "it is good no problems".

Associate
I think the general consensus is that this LG is one of the few - if not the only one - which has moved past black smearing issues.

Is there if you look for it but is way less pronounced than with most other VAs. It's a day and night difference compared to the BL32000PT for example.

Soldato
Well it is definitely the best for that, but it still has pretty bad response times in some areas, although very good on most of them, depends how noticeable that is in actual use. I would mostly use it for bright content such as online etc. So I guess black smearing would not be a big issue with that. My other main issue is the possibly washed out colours, although again I would have to try one to know really. I was not that impressed with the BL3200PT colours compared to IPS, but certainly was nice to have better contrast and not to have IPS glow or BLB.

Soldato
Well it is definitely the best for that, but it still has pretty bad response times in some areas, although very good on most of them, depends how noticeable that is in actual use.

That's the thing though... It doesn't really have the usual VA weaknesses even for dark shades. It doesn't have anything I would describe as "black smear". Re-read my previous posts on this thread (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31996377/ for example plus my replies on page 26). :) If you're sensitive to overshoot you may have an issue with it, but if you're relying on any assessment done with G-SYNC disabled in the Nvidia Control Panel then you've fallen into a trap there. There's a reason users here are telling you that it delivers a solid 165Hz performance. And there were reasons these 'traditional VA issues' did not crop up in my video review and that I said I didn't feel there was a competitive disadvantage coming from a Dell S2716DG to this model.

You need to put aside notions that this is a "slow" monitor or suffers the same kind of issues most VA models do with pixel responsiveness. It simply isn't the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok well lets assume that is correct about the response times then, I have no reason to doubt you, but are the colours really dull compared to an IPS or are they really not very bad? I see this a lot about "dull colours" maybe it is people parroting other comments or maybe it does have dull colours I don't know!

Associate
Is it really that much bigger than a 27' ? I have been using S27A950d for 7 years now, its an old TN (with 3D) 120hz , its done well so far and keeps chugging along. I have 1080ti and was wondering maybe its time to pull the trigger on something like this ? Anyone upgraded from a much older display to this ? I mostly play shooters ala R6 Siege

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Is it really that much bigger than a 27' ? I have been using S27A950d for 7 years now, its an old TN (with 3D) 120hz , its done well so far and keeps chugging along. I have 1080ti and was wondering maybe its time to pull the trigger on something like this ? Anyone upgraded from a much older display to this ? I mostly play shooters ala R6 Siege

40% more screen area

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-32-inch-16x9

Soldato
Is there a matching monitor for this bezel wise just without the high Hz and gsync etc? Would like a matching monitor but paying another 600 just for a secondary monitor seems a little daft :)

Soldato
Already addressed that - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31996377/. And I go into it in quite some detail in my review, so if that doesn't satisfy your curiosity nothing will short of seeing the monitor yourself.

Ok thanks, also what is it like a Gsync on "fast" setting? Does that have a lot more blur ? because I do find overshoot a bit annoying so maybe would want to use that, is that massively worse for blur than "fastest"? *edit* actually I just got to the bit in your video where you use "fast".

Soldato
From what I can see there I guess you could say the response times are not better than IPS, because with IPS you can get similar response times but without any overshoot and also without any issues with black transitions. Looks like the is obviously the best option for a VA screen but overall not sure I will try it because I do not like overshoot and at "normal" it is blurry. Maybe "fast" would be ok, meh only way to know is to try one I guess but trying to avoid wasting time and effort.

Soldato
Just received my 32GK850G today and must say initial impressions are very good. Coming from X34 I was concerned I'd miss the extra width, but it's comparable in physical size so I'm not feeling it as much as I thought. PPI issue I was concerned about is also non-existent. 144Hz is noticeable, coming from 100Hz on X34. Mine did manage 100Hz without issue, but I can see and feel the difference moving the mouse around.

Out the box the colours seem good to me, nor am I noticing any obvious lack of vibrancy vs the X34 (yet). Are there optimal settings for colours, contrast etc? Intrigued what others have found to be best. :)

Soldato
Can you tell me your opinion on the overshoot compared to the x34? Depends if you are bothered by it I guess, what about fast vs faster for overshoot?

Soldato
Can you tell me your opinion on the overshoot compared to the x34? Depends if you are bothered by it I guess, what about fast vs faster for overshoot?

Can't say I've noticed to be honest, and if it's there it's not bothering me. I've never had a VA panel before so I thought I might pick up on it, but seems not so far. That said, from the reviews, this seems to be one of the best VA panels out there for this.

Soldato
Can't say I've noticed to be honest, and if it's there it's not bothering me. I've never had a VA panel before so I thought I might pick up on it, but seems not so far. That said, from the reviews, this seems to be one of the best VA panels out there for this.

I really really didn't need to know this :mad: I've had the tab open on my phone for days to buy it! And I'm in-between jobs atm so it'd be a very stupid (but fun) purchase!

Associate
Would be willing to try this but seen reports on multiple sites that theres a firmware bug with the osd that can pop in the source selection randomly, few owners on reddit and eslewhere say they can't fix it. Might not bother some people as it seems do it when it has been on for a few hours. Frustrating as it seems getting this information to someone at LG to do something about it is like talking to a brick wall 8(. Even if they did update the firmware I'd imagine you would have to rma it to be updated. I would try this one out if it wasn't for this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would be willing to try this but seen reports on multiple sites that theres a firmware bug with the osd that can pop in the source selection randomly, few owners on reddit and eslewhere say they can't fix it. Might not bother some people as it seems do it when it has been on for a few hours. Frustrating as it seems getting this information to someone at LG to do something about it is like talking to a brick wall 8(. Even if they did update the firmware I'd imaging you would have to rma it to be updated. I tried this one out if it wasn't for this.

What do you mean by "pop in the source selection ramdomly"?

Back
Top Bottom