31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Soldato
Mm interesting, what do you think about the colours coming from X34?

Maybe a slight dip in vibrancy, but the more I use it, the more I'm not seeing it. I do a bit of Photoshop work and so far all good. Blacks are definitely better, no question.

Soldato
Sounds like you prefer it overall to the X34 then which is interesting.

The bleed always irked me with the X34 in dark games and whenever I saw it. The extra width was nice, defintely aided immersion, but the 31.5" is a good compromise, as I've not ended up with something which is that far off in width, but is also taller. 27" would have been more tricky I think as that would have been the same height with the sides lopped off.

Soldato
What do you think of the colours and overshoot after some usage? last time I ask now but just interested thanks.

Soldato
Do you notice any black smearing on it? I used to hate that effect on some LCD TV's. I am sure this is a lot faster than most LCD TV's though.

Permabanned
Just got mine today.

Pleased with it so far. Just tried out Killing Floor 2 and, wow, the blacks were way darker than on my old IPS. Corners & unlit areas looked properly black so had to use my flash light...no more blacks that are really dark grey.

Still messing about with the settings, but would recommend it. Text a bit blurrier than on my 27 inch 1440p, but suppose to be expected with less PPI and it's perfectly readable - games look fine though. Thought I might have needed to up the AA, but haven't noticed a sharpness difference and I sit pretty close.

Colours are slightly less 'vibrant' if that's the right expression coming from my IPS, but pretty close to what I had so doesn't bother me and I used an IPS for years. The blacks more than make up for it.

Already won't go back to IPS after a few minutes in KF2 :) Wish I had this when I was playing Alien Isolation and Resident Evil 7.

Looks pretty cool as well (subtle design - none of that obnoxious 'gamer' crap)...the ambient lighting at the back is a nice touch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am in a slightly different situation where I only really use PC monitor for things like normal use eg. web browsing etc. and online competitive. If i want good blacks for SP, I use my TV which has miles better blacks than any monitor. So overall hm not sure if I want to swap my IPS for this one. Would be nice to have the extra contrast and never have to look at BLB again though for sure!

Yes I agree that the bias lighting on the back is a nice feature as well. Is it bright enough to light up a wall behind the monitor?

Last edited:
Soldato
LG-monitor.jpg

Here's mine so you can get an idea. It's subtle, but I like it, and that's what bias lighting should be like. You don't want it overpowering. My wallpaper is a dark grey too, so that obviously absords it a bit I think. I have mine on a wall mount.

Permabanned
Yeah as Legend says it's subtle even at the highest brightness - just enough to lessen eye strain a bit in a dark room.

The 'rainbow' setting where it cycles through colours is pretty mad though...I have mine in front of the back bedroom window so if the neighbours were looking up at night seeing the back of this screen it would like I was having a rave :)

Soldato
As much I can sing this monitors praises for its performance, unfortunately I am at the point now where I am not going to recommend it to anyone going forward... the first one I received had a stuck pixel and what appeared to be dust or maybe half-stuck pixels near it. My RMA was accepted but the second one has a big dust/dirt particle in the top right hand corner. Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I'm not accepting this. I won't try again and will just get a refund and wait for something else. Nothing else on the market appeals for now, but I'm not accepting rubbish QC... LG, if you're reading this, do it properly please. :(

Permabanned
Ha, I sent mine back on Saturday as well. A stuck pixel bang in the middle of the screen and another dead one near it that appeared after a few hours.

Monitor QA is non-existent. Getting a replacement so hopefully that will be alright, but not optimistic.

For the price these should be perfect and had to pay the bloody postage to send it back as OCUK didn't consider it a defect. If the next one has stuck pixels and they won't pay for the postage to take it back it's small claims court time.

Soldato
It's a joke isn't it?! Really annoys me. Any monitor with such faults is devalued immediately when it comes to second-hand value as well, so that's something else I always consider.

Permabanned
Yeah, I wouldn't buy a second hand one with stuck pixels even cheap yet it's not a defect apparently on something out the box the sole purpose of which is to view from up close.

Permabanned
So I can't even get a replacement monitor now as they are out of stock and all OCUK will do is a refund even though they said in TWO separate emails a replacement would be sent back if I returned it.

So I have just spent £43 to send back a faulty monitor and I'm not even getting a replacement. Might as well have just thrown 43 pounds in the bin as they refuse to compensate me for the postage.

Never buying anything from this site again and I'm taking you to court.

Bloody joke.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been debating buying a nice 2k IPS G-Sync monitor (like this one I almost bought, or the Acer XB271), as I've been using a cheapo 24" Samsung 1080p TN for the last ten years and thought I should really spend some money on a good one given the time I'm in front of it, but stories like this and all other other IPS lottery ones have made me think sod it, keep the TN until it dies or OLED monitors come out. Seems like way too much of a gamble to risk getting a bad one then faffing around sending them back.

Dell S2716D is still tempting though, if it gets reduced towards xmas.

Back
Top Bottom