31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

Associate
The OSD just pops up, it was reported on amazon.de reviews and seen quite a few owner opinions about it. Firmware issue, believe someone also reported it in this thread aswell.

Don't own it myself, but people with it say they can just be using the monitor normally and the OSD display will randomly pop up with source selection.

Soldato
The OSD just pops up, it was reported on amazon.de reviews and seen quite a few owner opinions about it. Firmware issue, believe someone also reported it in this thread aswell.

Don't own it myself, but people with it say they can just be using the monitor normally and the OSD display will randomly pop up with source selection.

Interesting, well I'll keep an eye out for that one... not that I'd miss it!

Soldato
The OSD issue, as far as monitor is issues go, is really nothing to worry about. Only happens sometimes when the monitor has been on for 8-10hrs straight. And apparently using the OSD resets the countdown timer, if you want to call it that. Never had this issue myself, but I don't tend to keep monitors running for that long at once.

Soldato
PCM2 this is nothing to do with the thread, but why have you put "OLED the future of PC monitors", because OLED will probably never be used in PC monitors due to image retention. I guess QLED will be used in monitors as it is just Samsung quantum dot made to sound like OLED lol. Sorry I am being pedantic here but probably microled would be the future of PC monitors not OLED :p

Nice website by the way your reviews are very good, only constructive criticism I would give is can you post better quality videos of the monitors and also more in depth pixel measurements if possible, although I guess that might need some more equipment to be able to do that. Overall definitely one of the better review sites though nice one.

Last edited:
Soldato
1) OLED monitors still have a fighting chance, don't let ignorance and FUD cloud your judgement. Our article on the topic explores some of this progress and the future direction of things. They have been implemented successfully in laptops and medical-grade applications without any image retention issues. JOLED have a great 21.5" panel which ASUS should be using in an upcoming model and they plan to be making larger ones in various useful monitor sizes (in 2020, all going well). I said "and QLED" so don't take things out of context and don't mistake slow and expensive progress with lack of progress. You're correct about MicroLED, but that is also some way off and is as yet an unproven technology. A lot needs to be done before it can be scaled down to monitor sizes. I've had that signature for ages, BTW, long before MicroLED was on the radar.

2) People love my YouTube videos and my subscribers are growing daily, I haven't been doing the video review side of things for long. I get a lot of encouragement and loads of positive comments, if I didn't I would've stopped a long time ago. I am not a natural photographer or videographer, I don't have my own production studio nor the time to dedicate to 'beautifying' the videos or re-shooting things lots of times. Fortunately many people aren't so shallow that they can't see past cosmetic or pretentious crap. They understand the content itself is extremely detailed, unique and valuable. Hopefully you're not one of those people who thinks you can gauge what a monitor actually looks like through a video? I will be increasing the resolution of the videos beyond '1080p' when I have a newer camera, if that's what you meant, but I won't be changing the style of the videos.

3) I don't agree that pixel response time measurements are the way to go. Not going to discuss this in detail here, but basically there are 255 shade levels and websites that measure only some of the transitions (only reasonable) often give an incomplete or potentially misleading picture of performance. There's room for that kind of analysis, it has its place and TFT Central gives a more complete picture than some sites which I won't name - I like their measurements and find them useful. But it isn't something I agree with for my own site as there aren't enough hours in the day to do it properly on top of the other assessment I like to do. I prefer subjective, photographic and video analysis. Many people like this method of assessment which is done in a unique way on my site, especially if they understand some limitations with the alternative.

You see, I have my own way of doing things and it works for me and most of my readership/viewership. I'm only one person (others do help out with 'second opinions' on subjective assessment), I have a day job and I dedicate as much time and effort as I can into my passion. Some people have absolutely no idea how much time and effort it takes to do what I do, they also have no idea that I'm not paid a salary by anybody to do so and don't have a big team behind me. I'm sure Baddass feels the same way sometimes, there's a lot of ignorance surrounding what we do and people often have unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hm you seem to have very much picked up the negatives I said which were not meant like that, merely some suggestions, not sure how you are offended by what I said. This is a quote below :

Nice website by the way your reviews are very good, only constructive criticism I would give is can you post better quality videos of the monitors and also more in depth pixel measurements if possible, although I guess that might need some more equipment to be able to do that. Overall definitely one of the better review sites though nice one.

Now are you indirectly calling me ignorant, shallow, pretentious etc. maybe I am reading that wrong but sounds like it. I have read quite a few of your reviews and as I said definitely one of the better review sites. But for example the video of the LG is quite hard to see due to some issues.

As I said overall though nice site and appreciate the effort you put into it... Just some suggestions that is all!! Your response sounds like I had just said "your website is absolute junk and your reviews are completely useless", whereas I actually said "very nice site", with some minor suggestions.

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't constructive criticism to simply say: "post better quality videos of the monitors". That's not really very specific nor constructive. Constructive criticism means providing critical feedback with suggestions to improve, it doesn't mean criticising something in a narrowly focussed way without justification. :) So what exactly were you looking for? I think from your second post I have some idea, more so than from your initial post. I was simply defending the way I do things. There are some things I can change, some things I can't (or won't).

I wasn't insulting you in any of what I was saying, by the way, so sorry if it came across in that way. I misunderstood what you meant with your generic "post better quality videos". My videos are pure, they're about the monitor and are designed to complement the written reviews. I don't need them to be flashed up with fancy graphics, effects or pointlessly showing my face as some YouTubers seem to do in their product reviews. I am here to review a product, not create pieces of cinematic beauty. Added fripperies are pretentious and needless distractions, which as I said many people not only don't need but don't want to see in the sort of videos I create. That's what I meant. What I can do is improve the video quality by being more careful about camera position and ultimately shooting in a higher resolution.

It's extremely difficult to video monitors, by the way. What you see in a video also depends on the camera, processing done by the editing software and YouTube and ultimately the screen you're viewing the video on. They're not going to represent exactly how things look or in many cases even give a remotely accurate representation of that, it's simply impossible. Which pieces of the video were you finding difficult to see? Could you give some more specific examples? If you mean 'overshoot' or things in the responsiveness section, that's an absolute nightmare to capture accurately on camera. In an ideal world I would make adjustments and check the video on a different screen to see how things look, re-shooting as necessary. But that's not practical and is far too time-consuming. If YouTube was all I did that would be fine, but in reality it's a very small part of what I do.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol when did I say I want "pieces of cinematic beauty. Added fripperies are pretentious and needless distractions". Just said it would be even better if it was something like 4k so it was easier to see any issues with the monitor more clearly etc. As far as I am concerned that is completely constructive criticism! again not talking about the quality of the content at all, it is very good, just the actual quality eg. resolution and bitrate etc. of the videos. They are still better than 90% of other sites, but as I said constructive criticism!

Soldato
I understand that now, but that wasn't clear from your initial post as you were far too generic in what you were saying. Surely you can see how saying "post better quality videos of the monitors" could be taken various different ways? :) It's an ambiguous statement and it's why I went off on that pointless rant. ;)

Soldato
Yes I can imagine capturing things like blur and overshoot would be an absolute nightmare on a camera, I had trouble seeing the blur and overshoot properly on the LG video, but at least you tried to show it which is more than 90% of other sites.

Soldato
...only constructive criticism I would give is can you post better quality videos of the monitors...

...I am not a natural photographer or videographer, I don't have my own production studio nor the time to dedicate to 'beautifying' the videos or re-shooting things lots of times.

He was just referring to the basics of production quality, how to shoot video to a high(er) standard, lighting (this is key), audio etc. You don't need expensive equipment, a production studio, a team of people or vast quantities of disposable time to achieve this, nor is it as difficult as you might think... not in respect to general production quality anyway, as I certainly understand capturing blur, overshoot etc. would be very hard.

It's like photography... once you understand the concepts of lighting etc. it's actually relatively straightforward to achieve stunning images on something as basic as a phone camera, plus it can actually SAVE time and produce an all round better result... everybody wins. As stated, he didn't demand "cinematic beauty", but achieving a noticeably higher production quality really isn't as challenging as you might think, and in this YouTube generation there are countless guides out there on how to best achieve this. Important to note that this is not in any way a slight on the quality of your reviews, which are excellent and extremely informative. You've achieved the hard part! :)

Soldato
Thanks for the input, I do realise this is what he was referring to now as per our previous few posts. My tired brain wasn't aware of that when I initially replied though. If you look back at some older YouTube videos I did, the quality of the videos (sound and audio) has come along a lot. Somebody actually commented on one of my older videos the other day saying it sounds like I was talking into a toilet. I found that hilarious! And it is true. I didn't even used to shoot with a tripod. For some things it makes sense to go "freehand", other times not so much.

I'm actually really keen on using one of the new generation Smartphones (will probably wait to see how the Pixel 3 and Samung Galaxy S10 turn out) because it seems they've already outclassed my camera in their flexibility and video capability. I'm quite happy to invest in a good smartphone and keep that up to date vs. a camera which doesn't excite me in any way. And of course spend some time getting to know the settings etc.

P.S. Sorry to have taken this thread so off-topic. I don't have much more to say on the 32GK850G really, I think it's probably one of my favourite gaming monitors I've come across though. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the input, I do realise this is what he was referring to now as per our previous few posts. My tired brain wasn't aware of that when I initially replied though. If you look back at some older YouTube videos I did, the quality of the videos (sound and audio) has come along a lot. Somebody actually commented on one of my older videos the other day saying it sounds like I was talking into a toilet. I found that hilarious! And it is true. I didn't even used to shoot with a tripod. For some things it makes sense to go "freehand", other times not so much.

I'm actually really keen on using one of the new generation Smartphones (will probably wait to see how the Pixel 3 and Samung Galaxy S10 turn out) because it seems they've already outclassed my camera in their flexibility and video capability. I'm quite happy to invest in a good smartphone and keep that up to date vs. a camera which doesn't excite me in any way. And of course spend some time getting to know the settings etc.

Don't underestimate lighting... that will make more of a difference than your camera. It is 100% a learning process though... look at any YouTuber, even those that do focus a bit too much on 'beautifying' things, and you see they've come a long way in the past few years. To a certain extent though, as much as you may hate it, it does play an important role... i.e how things look. It doesn't need to be the primary focus... in fact it absolutely shouldn't be for the reasons you've highlighted and the last thing you want is to negatively impact the quality of your core content. At the same time though, it undoubtedly creates a more 'professional' impression which in turn will only attract more viewers/subscribers, and that's obviously a good thing. :)

Soldato
I'll certainly see what I can dig up regarding lighting, but it seems to be far more complex when you're reviewing a monitor than a non-illuminated object. The light emiited from the monitor changes depending on what is being shown and that essentially dictates the lighting environment for you to an extent. Especially if the monitor is the predominant object in the video. You have to be very careful not to impart too much glare or reflections on the screen as well, which is the easy part really.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone own a PS4 Pro? Could you check if the PS4 can output to 4k to the monitor (I read some 1440p trick the console into thinking they are 4k monitors).

Soldato
It can't I'm afraid. As with all G-SYNC models the scaling is very rudimentary, it can output at 1080p but not UHD. The FreeSync model supports a UHD signal.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Think this will be my next monitor as proper blacks are important to me and VA seems the next best thing to OLED. I've got an ASUS IPS and the pathetic contrast levels ruin dark games.

Was about to pull the trigger on this due to the sale, but restrained myself at the last second as can't really afford it

For anyone who has paid attention to their sales in the past: do they usually do one closer to Christmas? Can afford it then!

Soldato
The JOLED panels could be very interesting then, OLED would make a PERFECT PC monitor, if they can remove any problems with image retention eg. almost 0% chance of image retention even with the start menu icons there constantly etc. You do have a point actually I forgot that there is a Sony OLED monitor available.

Sorry for being off topic again but not much else to say about the LG unless any more new owners want to comment on the overshoot, colours etc. especially compared to 21:9 IPS. I already know the blacks and BLB will be a lot better.

Permabanned
Stuff it! Just ordered :)

Came home and switched on my awful ASUS IPS and looked at the same cluster of dead pixels I have been looking at for a year and had had enough! Hopefully LG's QA is better.

Soldato
The JOLED panels could be very interesting then, OLED would make a PERFECT PC monitor, if they can remove any problems with image retention eg. almost 0% chance of image retention even with the start menu icons there constantly etc. You do have a point actually I forgot that there is a Sony OLED monitor available.

Sorry for being off topic again but not much else to say about the LG unless any more new owners want to comment on the overshoot, colours etc. especially compared to 21:9 IPS. I already know the blacks and BLB will be a lot better.

Stuff it! Just ordered :)

Came home and switched on my awful ASUS IPS and looked at the same cluster of dead pixels I have been looking at for a year and had had enough! Hopefully LG's QA is better.

Zero bleed on mine, better blacks and I have no issue with any overshoot, not that I'm aware of anyway. Very happy with it. Coming from X34 I am very pleasantly surprised. :)

Back
Top Bottom