330 CI Sport, circa 02/03

[TW]Fox said:
You'll wonder why you ever liked cheap plastic jap stuff once you get a 330Ci ;)
... and then he'll play the vid he posted on here (flyby.avi or something) with the sound cranked up and think "oh yeah now I remember" :p

At the end of the day you have to go for what suits your current situation best. If I had the money to change I'd definately be getting shot of the 306 yet previously it was fine for my needs.

Excuse the rambling.....

Interest in the DC5 is hotting up now (after reducing the price :rolleyes: ) so I'm starting to look closer at a replacement.

Just had a call this morning saying a 330 ci sport I had an eye on has gone which is a shame - right price, year, right mileage etc. Bugger. :(

I've started to take the 330D Sport a 'bit' more seriously (after seeing what a remap can produce), but finding a manual Sport D is needle & haystack stuff. 95% must be autos which just aint my cup of tea, in fact - 95% of BMW's are autos full stop. Quite frustrating.

Anyway - I have a completely ludicrous ideas knocking around in the back of my mind that I need to get rid of ASAP. So - does anyone know how much servicing costs on an M3?

Been looking at Audi's but nothing tickles my fancy really around the £15k/£16k mark. Plus I'd prefer RWD over 4WD, and some of the bigger Audi's are mega thirsty. Shows you how frustrated I'm getting finding the right car - I've just been nosing at Golf R32's. Help......me.

I know how Fox must have felt now, searching for a specific BMW aint much fun at all. There's thousands out there but when you start filtering you're left with 0 results.

Oh, nearly forgot - is the Clubsport 330 just a 330 ci with carbon dash inserts and a gay spoiler? Cos it seems that way....

merlin said:
Oh, nearly forgot - is the Clubsport 330 just a 330 ci with carbon dash inserts and a gay spoiler? Cos it seems that way....

Yes thats pretty much exactly it, appart from the wheels as well. I think evo refered to it as the rich mans 330CI Sport when they had hoped it to be the poor mans M3...

I owned a 330D Sport manual. It was the 204BHP version and at least during the time I was looking it came with 5 years or 60K transferable servicing, including everything apart from tyres. You want to try and find the 6 speed manual with the revised wheels as that was showing an interval of 18-20K for me when I had mine. The 204 was built from March 2003 on, but there are a lot of 03 and 53 plate cars which are the older 184BHP version and had 3 year or 60K servicing.

Steve

merlin said:
Excuse the rambling.....

Interest in the DC5 is hotting up now (after reducing the price :rolleyes: ) so I'm starting to look closer at a replacement.

Just had a call this morning saying a 330 ci sport I had an eye on has gone which is a shame - right price, year, right mileage etc. Bugger. :(

I've started to take the 330D Sport a 'bit' more seriously (after seeing what a remap can produce), but finding a manual Sport D is needle & haystack stuff. 95% must be autos which just aint my cup of tea, in fact - 95% of BMW's are autos full stop. Quite frustrating.

Anyway - I have a completely ludicrous ideas knocking around in the back of my mind that I need to get rid of ASAP. So - does anyone know how much servicing costs on an M3?

Been looking at Audi's but nothing tickles my fancy really around the £15k/£16k mark. Plus I'd prefer RWD over 4WD, and some of the bigger Audi's are mega thirsty. Shows you how frustrated I'm getting finding the right car - I've just been nosing at Golf R32's. Help......me.

I know how Fox must have felt now, searching for a specific BMW aint much fun at all. There's thousands out there but when you start filtering you're left with 0 results.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=300602 - that might be worth a look. Yeah, finding a manual 330cd for the right price might be quite tricky on hindsight.

The clubsport is indeed just a 330ci with carbon dash, new spoiler, front splitters and different wheels. Not really worth spending a premium over the 330ci for it.

I don't know the price of M3 servicing costs, but IIRC they're twice that of the 330i and more frequent too.

Last edited:
Rotty said:
approx 12k intervals

Oil service £190
Insp 1 £700
Oil service £190
Insp 2 £800

and repeat

not as bad as you would expect

Hi there

When I was looking at BMW M3's I thought the servicing cost were pretty outrageous to be honest.
Maybe some think its fine to pay those prices but for me it in my nature not to be ripped off and get a good job done but at a fair price.
£190 for an oil service is like just so way out. The filter is £10-£20, the absolute best oil will set you back £60, so were upto £80. Though saying that I can get trade on such parts and could get the filter and synthetic oil for £60. So what is the other £120 or so for? Labour? the stamp in the service book? Surely they must be doing more?

Also what are they doing for the £700 and £800 services? I would only expect to have to pay a main dealer/stealer £700-£800 when having the major 50-60k service done which involves all belts and pulleys changed. Mitsubishi charge something like £700 for the cambelt change and they change all pulleys, belts etc. So my next question how much does BMW charge for the major cambelt service on the M3?

The M3 is a sure fantastic car but I'd be miffed to pay those prices unless they are actually doing a lot more..........

Gibbo said:
Hi there

When I was looking at BMW M3's I thought the servicing cost were pretty outrageous to be honest.
Maybe some think its fine to pay those prices but for me it in my nature not to be ripped off and get a good job done but at a fair price.
£190 for an oil service is like just so way out. The filter is £10-£20, the absolute best oil will set you back £60, so were upto £80. Though saying that I can get trade on such parts and could get the filter and synthetic oil for £60. So what is the other £120 or so for? Labour? the stamp in the service book? Surely they must be doing more?

Also what are they doing for the £700 and £800 services? I would only expect to have to pay a main dealer/stealer £700-£800 when having the major 50-60k service done which involves all belts and pulleys changed. Mitsubishi charge something like £700 for the cambelt change and they change all pulleys, belts etc. So my next question how much does BMW charge for the major cambelt service on the M3?

The M3 is a sure fantastic car but I'd be miffed to pay those prices unless they are actually doing a lot more..........

the Inspection services do seem a con as a lot of it is check an inspect stuff , when I say not too bad I was working at an average of less that 500 quid a year for a 12k miles driver which is small compared to the other running costs, I agree with you in terms of value for money though, they ar enot great but you have little chioce if you ever want a chance of selling it on

merlin said:
Cheers :)

Unfortunately that's a no no for me. Agreed the costs aren't particularly scary, but they are a bit too high for my budget.

an indy would be around £120,£300,£120,£400 for them but the amount saved could well be offset by a reduction in residual value when you come to sell

BMW dealers servicing costs are without doubt pretty poor value, especially given that many have histories of not treating your car very nicely whilst its with them.

Its one of the less attractive aspects of bmw ownership, which is made up for by the quality of their cars in my opinion.

My local dealership has some very attractive lady staff who run around and make you coffee to.

Bear said:
So for a standard oil change that should cost £50 - £60 they charge £190 ??

It certainly appears that way. The only mitigating factor is that there is probably well over 6 litres of engine oil, and I know they use Mobil 1.

Damn I hope their coffee is good.

maybe too late....

im guessing you looked at getting the train? the train from new st. goes into kings cross quite frequently, and there are some that only stop at 4 stations, could then get the tube/bus to your location in london. if you got a season ticket, tube and bus is included in this....

id consider it to keep a car like yours mate

merlin said:
Probably. I was 35 last month. Maybe the barstids put something in my birthday cake?

And now I'm looking at BMW's. :eek: It's gotta be drugs I tell ya. :D

When I see you next, expect a slap around the mush !! You can't go through with it Merlin ! You can't !! :)

Back
Top Bottom