• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x idle voltages

Soldato
Thanks - left it idling for 10 mins with only hwinfo64 running and voltsgez don't visibly drop below 1.43, and even then it was for about a second or so. If they're going lower, it doesn't register visibly, whereas windows balanced drops to 0.9 almost as soon as things settle down.

It looks like it's perfectly safe to use Ryzen balanced on this board, but I really can't see what it brings to the table over Windows balanced...

Edit - Interesting that average cpu power seems lower across the board with Windows balanced.
It only takes 1-2 ms to transition to higher clock speeds in Ryzen Balanced, this is part of a feature exclusive to Ryzen 3000 called fast clock switching. This will result in better responsiveness plus less stuttering in games and better performance in some cases (up to 6% according to AMD), although these are probably edge cases.

Windows Balanced takes 15 ms to transition to higher clock speeds and ignores many requests to do so which is why you see lower power numbers. I think the problem here is Windows with its many background processes doing lots of little tasks in the background, I've noticed Linux doesn't do this and gets out of the way.

Soldato
1.47 on load is normal. AMD say up to 1.5 is how the cpu reacts.
Indeed, and this only the lightly threaded boost voltage when current draw is low. People forget about current in this equation, they just look at voltage in isolation, and that's why it's not going to damage your CPU and is working as intended.

Last edited:
Soldato
To everyone who has not voltage drops on Ryzen Balanced, You need to check you have the latest plans and chipset drivers. despite installing them I still had the old ones, I had to do the following to get the latest.

I thought min CPU speed was supposed to be 90% under Ryzen Balanced because below 90% the hardware on the CPU is taking control of how the CPU goes into and out of idle states and it is generally much better and faster at this than the generic Windows software implementation that would be in control if you set it to 0%.

Associate
I thought min CPU speed was supposed to be 90% under Ryzen Balanced because below 90% the hardware on the CPU is taking control of how the CPU goes into and out of idle states and it is generally much better and faster at this than the generic Windows software implementation that would be in control if you set it to 0%.

I agree as thats what I thought but it seems it is set to 0 when the profile is installed with the latest chipset drivers

Soldato
Ive opted for a manual overclock, the performance is much better and I can control the voltage, 1.35v for single threaded workloads and then droops to 1.320v for multi threaded workloads, my Cinebench R20 scores are much better, the best overclock ive reached so far is 4.325ghz all core, im trying for 4.35ghz next, however at stock in multi threaded workloads it was dropping to 4.1 / 4.2ghz.

The part I find a bit strange is my R20 single thread scores were worse when I was boosting to 4.5ghz 1.488v stock on a single core than they are with it locked into 4.325ghz 1.35v........go figure.

Soldato
:) I do wonder whether there are some crossed wires here though.
Yes, hopefully they'll clarify all of this further. They could do with explaining the benefits of this new performance feature to people, stop Microsoft wasting CPU cycles and really reassure people that this is new technology which behaves differently to older CPUs and is not going to get damaged. They stand behind it with a warranty after all.

Soldato
Ive opted for a manual overclock, the performance is much better and I can control the voltage, 1.35v for single threaded workloads and then droops to 1.320v for multi threaded workloads, my Cinebench R20 scores are much better, the best overclock ive reached so far is 4.325ghz, im trying for 4.35ghz next, however at stock in multi threaded workloads it was dropping to 4.1 / 4.2ghz.
I'd be surprised if single core Cinebench is much better at that speed, if so your CPU isn't boosting properly or throttling at stock.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if single core Cinebench is much better at that speed, if so your CPU isn't boosting properly or throttling at stock.

Theres no way its thottling, ive not seen it go over 70oC ever, no matter what I run, the single core score isnt the best, hoping a newer bios might improve it, but heres some screens of the manual overclock.

Single core.....Manual Overclock.....Voltage proof: http://i63.tinypic.com/v7xz68.jpg

Multi Thread.....Manual Overclock.......Voltage proof: http://i67.tinypic.com/2z8p7jn.jpg

Manual Overclock, Final results: http://i64.tinypic.com/6glem8.jpg

My System : http://i66.tinypic.com/rck2lx.jpg

I'll set the CPU to stock settings and run the benches again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres no way its thottling, ive not seen it go over 70oC ever, no matter what I run, the single core score isnt the best, hoping a newer bios might improve it, but heres some screens of the manual overclock.

Single core.....Manual Overclock.....Voltage proof: http://i63.tinypic.com/v7xz68.jpg

Multi Thread.....Manual Overclock.......Voltage proof: http://i67.tinypic.com/2z8p7jn.jpg

Manual Overclock, Final results: http://i64.tinypic.com/6glem8.jpg

My System : http://i66.tinypic.com/rck2lx.jpg

I'll set the CPU to stock settings and run the benches again.

I'm not doubting you, just surprised as it's supposed to boost to 4.5 GHz single core. I have heard though that the CPUs aren't reaching max single core clocks consistently.

I was hoping to buy the MSI ACE so hopefully they get their BIOS sorted out soon. You have installed the latest chipset drivers and are running Windows 10 1903?

Associate
OP

Hmm - didn't think of trying that. I'll give it a go later.

Associate
Indeed, and this only the lightly threaded boost voltage when current draw is low. People forget about current in this equation, they just look at voltage in isolation, and that's why it's not going to damage your CPU and is working as intended.

What's worse is you mention it in these threads and are largely ignored for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

People want to fix things that aren't broken.

Soldato
I'm not doubting you, just surprised as it's supposed to boost to 4.5 GHz single core. I have heard though that the CPUs aren't reaching max single core clocks consistently.

I was hoping to buy the MSI ACE so hopefully they get their BIOS sorted out soon. You have installed the latest chipset drivers and are running Windows 10 1903?

Yup, all of the above, only formatted a couple of days ago to be honest, I always do when im overclocking, whilst I find stability, once everything is where I want it, I format and fresh install windows to remove any corruption.

Im running 3 x Samsung Evo Plus 970 nvme drivers in RAID0, the MSI X570 Ace is an amazing board, check this out:

novt6e.jpg

Soldato
Yup, all of the above, only formatted a couple of days ago to be honest, I always do when im overclocking, whilst I find stability, once everything is where I want it, I format and fresh install windows to remove any corruption.

Im running 3 x Samsung Evo Plus 970 nvme drivers in RAID0, the MSI X570 Ace is an amazing board, check this out:

novt6e.jpg
Good to know, that's extremely impressive! In case you didn't know, there's a promotion going on where you can get a free Coolermaster 240mm AIO worth £100 if you register the board with MSI before the 18th of August.

How are chipset temperatures and fan speeds?

Soldato
Good to know, that's extremely impressive! In case you didn't know, there's a promotion going on where you can get a free Coolermaster 240mm AIO worth £100 if you register the board with MSI before the 18th of August.

How are chipset temperatures and fan speeds?

Chipset is currently at 61oC with the fan running at 1000rpm, cant hear it at all, it is extremely hot here at the moment though, its got to be 35oC ambient in my flat at the moment, the only way ive heard the fan is when I manually ramped it up in the bios to 2200rpm and above.

Soldato
Chipset is currently at 61oC with the fan running at 1000rpm, cant hear it at all, it is extremely hot here at the moment though, its got to be 35oC ambient in my flat at the moment, the only way ive heard the fan is when I manually ramped it up in the bios to 2200rpm and above.
That's good, MSI have done the best job with this chipset fan from what I can see.

Back
Top Bottom