3700x XMP not stable

Soldato
Alright so the setup is a 3700x stock with a Aorus Elite x570 and some Patriot Viper 3600mhz CL17 ram, it's not on the QVL but the Ryzen RAM calculator says it should run at this speed based on them being Hynix CJR die. I haven't tried that much with them, tried increasing DRAM volts to 1.40v however it just seemed to give the memory management blue screen even faster than when it was at 1.35v, the SOC voltage is on auto so sits around 1.08v, one thing that got me thinking is maybe the Infinity Fabric is the issue? Once I overclock the RAM maybe the motherboard has clocked the IF to 1800mhz and because SOC volts are too low I'm getting issues? Without going into too much detail all I'd like is the IF and RAM to be 1:1 with decent timings (XMP would be great).

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/20c50...c4040697bf.pdf

Data sheet to the kit I have.

I'll have another play with it but from what is happening wouldn't mind getting some advice, my BIOS gives the choice of having an offset on the SOC, I'm probably best setting 1.2v and having no offset right? Maybe I just got a turd of a memory controller and it needs some juice to get it going.

Soldato
Yeah I thought so, makes me wonder if I need to add some volts to the SOC, got a nasty feeling my kit is pretty rubbish though.

Try manually setting speed and timings, as tamzzy stated, dont forget to set your RAM voltage manually too @ 1.35v, some boards dont like XMP, my kits are HynixCJR rated for 3600mhz and do 3800mhz all day long happily, you shouldnt need anymore than 1.05v on the SoC in total, too much voltage is just as bad as not enough, and hard lock in that FCLK to 1800mhz too, dont leave it on auto, it can change on auto every time you reboot the computer depending on what mood its in.

Im using a 3800X on an MSI X570 ACE with 32gb (4x8gb) of G.Skill Trident Royal Silver 3600mhz HynixCJR Based, GDM enabled, my IF is at 1900mhz and SoC voltage is at 1.075v, it might go lower, I just cant be bothered to keep testing for hours on end, it doesnt over heat, seems happy as it all is and im quite impressed with the speeds everything is doing, its stable, so im happy where it all is.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Try manually setting speed and timings, as tamzzy stated, dont forget to set your RAM voltage manually too @ 1.35v, some boards dont like XMP, my kits are HynixCJR rated for 3600mhz and do 3800mhz all day long happily, you shouldnt need anymore than 1.05v on the SoC in total, too much voltage is just as bad as not enough, and hard lock in that FCLK to 1800mhz too, dont leave it on auto, it can change on auto every time you reboot the computer depending on what mood its in.

Im using a 3800X on an MSI X570 ACE with 32gb (4x8gb) of G.Skill Trident Royal Silver 3600mhz HynixCJR Based, GDM enabled, my IF is at 1900mhz and SoC voltage is at 1.075v, it might go lower, I just cant be bothered to keep testing for hours on end, it doesnt over heat, seems happy as it all is and im quite impressed with the speeds everything is doing, its stable, so im happy where it all is.
What brand/model do you have? Just curious if Patriot have been a little to heavy in the binning.

G Skill Trident Royal Silver (I didn't read hard enough) :(

Last edited:
Soldato
What brand/model do you have? Just curious if Patriot have been a little to heavy in the binning.

G Skill Trident Royal Silver (I didn't read hard enough) :(

Yes, its rating is 18-22-22-42-62-1T 3600mhz 1.35v but I have it at 18-20-20-38-54-GDM 3800mhz 1.4v, with gear down mode you cant do odd numbers, but thats just to give you some idea, it will do CL17 at 3600mhz, but not CL16.

I can tighten the timings more, but it requires more voltage for no noticeable performance increase, cinebench and CPU-z along with a couple of others scores where pretty much the same, so I just left it where it is.

Soldato
You need to make sure your FCLK can do 1900mhz first, best way to do that is set stock for your CPU and RAM and just manually set FCLK to 1900mhz, then test, if you get any random reboots at all, thats your FCLK crashing, mine was doing it every 15-20 mins, even if I wasnt using the computer, it was just on up the corner, that was on a previous bios, a newer bios fixed that for me though.

Soldato
OP
You need to make sure your FCLK can do 1900mhz first, best way to do that is set stock for your CPU and RAM and just manually set FCLK to 1900mhz, then test, if you get any random reboots at all, thats your FCLK crashing, mine was doing it every 15-20 mins, even if I wasnt using the computer, it was just on up the corner, that was on a previous bios, a newer bios fixed that for me though.
Using the recommended Ryzen calculator with slightly looser timings than recommended @3600mhz/1800mhz IF with 1.45v on the DDR4 still get BSOD, tried doing 3400mhz/1700mhz IF with 1.45v and it was doing the same thing again, what is really strange is it's almost the same amount of stable with the same timings however lower frequency, not sure if I'm missing something with the voltages on VDDG (0.950v) VDDP (0.900v), had gear down enabled, my return window with the retailer is up so if I keep struggling will have to talk with Patriot and get it RMA'ed, I feel like it's not exactly the RAM (well it is because it's causing a BSOD) however something I'm missing in the motherboard settings, either that or I got rubbish binned RAM.

Gigabyte BIOS is a little difficult to use, so many settings in so many different sub menus, not only that but the same settings are repeated continuously in other sub menus.

Next port of call for me is to test the IF @1800mhz and see if that works, PC is still great with snail speed RAM though!

Man of Honour
First off, run the ram at 2400mhz and establish your max fclk, then you can start playing with your ram. On the off chance that you have a chip with a terrible infinity fabric. IMC usually isn't the cause of the issue on ryzen 3000

Soldato
OP
First off, run the ram at 2400mhz and establish your max fclk, then you can start playing with your ram. On the off chance that you have a chip with a terrible infinity fabric. IMC usually isn't the cause of the issue on ryzen 3000
Alright thanks, I'll start with the Infinity Fabric.

Soldato
I posted this elsewhere but it applies here:

The first thing to do before clocking the ram is find what the max stable IF is.

Set BIOS to defaults.

Set IF to 1900MHz and see if stable.

Keep lowering the IF until you find a setting that windows is stable in. No reboots, audio issues or weird behaviours.

Once you know your top IF (mine was 1800MHz) then you know what ram speed to target (in my case 3600MHz) Ram MHz = (2xIF)

Just use the dram calc and r-xmp - V1 profile - Safe and plug in all the settings. Including the power supply stuff.

I know most say import from Typhoon burner but I have not had any luck with that as when I do it it sets my timings way to fast.

Set the 'rec' voltages.

Associate
It does not appear on the motherboards QVL list as the OP stated. A BIOS update may be needed at worst. You could try asking the customer support of the motherboard manufacture? You could try overclockers support and ask for advice. You may need to swap the RAM for samsung B-die. You can do all this and try opethdisciple method and hopefully get the ram working in some fashion. Maybe all is not lost.

I would leave everything as defaults and try and get the RAM to work at the lowest speeds possible.

The good news is that you can get to BIOS. Find out what the lowest speed you can get the RAM working. Start with 3200MHz. https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3700x

If two sticks don't work then try one at a time. Make sure the RAM works at the rated speed for your CPU then start overclocking the RAM. Changing the IF. Increase the speed a step at a time. This way you can see a pattern in the timings and voltage increases. You may not be able to get the RAM working at the rated speed but you may find a maximum speed that the RAM will work aat.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Testing the FCLK @1800mhz with the RAM stock, seems alright although one thing is my Xonar DGX goes missing, have to look into the BIOS and set it to PCI-x1 maybe.

Soldato
Testing the FCLK @1800mhz with the RAM stock, seems alright although one thing is my Xonar DGX goes missing, have to look into the BIOS and set it to PCI-x1 maybe.

Sound issues and random crashes every 15 mins or so is your FCLK not stable, its a tell tale sign of the FCLK, however quite righfully, hard set that slot to PCI-e x1 mode and also Gen 3 if there is an option for it in the bios, I have the option to set which gen I want to all of the slots on my MSI ACE board, Gen3 or Gen4 etc, your soundcard will be a GEN3 card.

Soldato
OP
Sound issues and random crashes every 15 mins or so is your FCLK not stable, its a tell tale sign of the FCLK, however quite righfully, hard set that slot to PCI-e x1 mode and also Gen 3 if there is an option for it in the bios, I have the option to set which gen I want to all of the slots on my MSI ACE board, Gen3 or Gen4 etc, your soundcard will be a GEN3 card.
Using my headphones with a USB soundcard and the audio is fine, also played an hour of BF V it was fine, just the sound card not working is strange. No random crashes at least.

Checked BIOS and it shows the Xonar on x1 but it can't be seen in windows, must be unstable I guess. Funny thing is the sound card worked, just the drivers couldn't find it so I couldn't use the control panel.

Dropped it to 1700mhz and the sound card works fine, maybe I should stick more volts thru the SOC. Running 1.1v SOC atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using my headphones with a USB soundcard and the audio is fine, also played an hour of BF V it was fine, just the sound card not working is strange. No random crashes at least.

Checked BIOS and it shows the Xonar on x1 but it can't be seen in windows, must be unstable I guess. Funny thing is the sound card worked, just the drivers couldn't find it so I couldn't use the control panel.

Dropped it to 1700mhz and the sound card works fine, maybe I should stick more volts thru the SOC. Running 1.1v SOC atm.

!.1 should really be more than enough, im running less for 1900mhz FCLK, sounds like you got a bad picked chip, if dropping the FCLK to 1700mhz and you sound card is all good again, just shows it was the FCLK causing the problems.

Back
Top Bottom