• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x massive temp spikes under watercooling

Soldato
hey all as the title i rebuild my pc using my 3900x from a itx to a full blown atx custom cooling setup, mostly ek vector blocks and 2 360mm pe classic rads, now my issue is the cpu, since it's changed over from the itx build I've noticed massive temp spikes of almost 50 degrees in a split second when i hit the cpu with load.

it doesn't matter if the cpu is at stock or overclocked the temp spikes are huge and it was never like it before, i have tried different power plans in windows but nothing seems to make a difference.

its like the tim between the core and ihs has gone, at idle my cpu temps are awesome around 27 degrees but any kind of load and it hits 45-60 and if i run a benchmark 77.5 degrees in most cases, as soon as the load is gone my temps plummet back to under 30.

I've had the vector am4 cpu block of 3 times now and everything looks good the fins are all clear within, plus i have the correct jet plate installed and orientation of the block too. finally i have a really good spread of thermal paste to, not to thin not to thick

any help please

Soldato
OP
i had to lock at 4.1ghz in my itx build but even then it wouldnt break 70 under heavy load, before i could run 4.425gz all core at 1.35v and never hit 70, but in my new build using the same chip and board the temp jumps are insane +50 degrees in a spit second? either overclocked to 4.4ghz or stock speed

Soldato
OP
You got all the air bubbles out?

yep all air bubbles are out was a bad one in the cpu block but after some rocking it cleared, topped up the loop and carried on, i have 6 noctua nf12x25 fans attached to all the rads (between 1100rpm idle and 1700ish under load), thing is plenty of heat is being expelled under load and at idle a lovely cool breeze if felt.
My gpu under water never goes above 48 degrees even with a 2ghz core and +1000mhz on the ram overclock.

i don't know why but its just the cpu that's the problem, i have a new ek magnitude cpu block arriving in the next few days so will give that a go but if i get the same issue would it be the cpu?, i know it would be a pain but i could get a 3950x, i just hope that hasn't got the same type of issues if i opt for one

Soldato
OP
yeah amd's new zen chips used soldered ihs's its got me thinking that that has possible degraded? but how i wouldn't have the foggiest what cased it, as up until now the cpu has been great, was cool running and did overclock like a stab rat before my itx build

Soldato
Try your new block see what happens
Still a possibility of an air bubble somewhere you can't see I guess
I tend to Ramp up my pump to max
And down and up etc if trying to clear all the air
Still think cpu fault is unlikely not seen any posts on 3900x failures so to speak

Soldato
OP
At a guess either you have an issue with your plumbing in your loop or your cooling isn't up to the job of keeping the thermals the CPU is putting out under control.

to be clear my gpu has access to one 360mm rad on the bottom of the case, the coolant then goes to the cpu and vrm's after that it goes to the second 360mm rad and then back to the distro plate to start the cycle over again i use soft tubing which is 13/19mm size wise

Soldato
OP
Try your new block see what happens
Still a possibility of an air bubble somewhere you can't see I guess
I tend to Ramp up my pump to max
And down and up etc if trying to clear all the air
Still think cpu fault is unlikely not seen any posts on 3900x failures so to speak

time will tell i'm hoping its a cpu block issue, but i never had issues first time around, i cleaned all old kit before re-using it, but again the cpu/block is the issue :(

Man of Honour
You know your CPU is fine, as you've used it before
It sounds like you have been thorough with your loop assembly and mounting.

What voltages is your mobo pushing to your CPU ?

My 3900x temps are inline with Mcnumptys, sorta 40 idle / 72 full load / benchies

Soldato
OP
they did i saw in hwinfo under idle state the voltage would drop to 1.1v then ramp up to 1.5v under load that's when the cores boosted. even this wouldn't stop the cpu spiking, yes not as bad but still around 40 degrees in a split second which is odd, as i said earlier under overclocked settings the jump is more like 50 degrees, it never did that before, sure it would get hot but that would be a good few 10's of minutes before it got to 70ish degrees, i cant work out why it jumps from 30ish to 77.5 degrees in the snap of a finger and then tanks from that top temp back to 30ish degrees at idle

Soldato
Done a bios update?
Assuming you are using different motherboard than was in itx build
Updated all amd drivers?
Mine spikes a bit but not that severely
And I am using ultimate performance power plan
And my fans only 1000rpm maximum
Though I do have more radiator than you

Soldato
OP
Done a bios update?
Assuming you are using different motherboard than was in itx build
Updated all amd drivers?
Mine spikes a bit but not that severely
And I am using ultimate performance power plan
And my fans only 1000rpm maximum
Though I do have more radiator than you

i have a asus crosshair VIII updated to bios version 1302 and have downloaded the latest amd chipset drivers this was the board i sued before my newer itx build, but decided to re use it, fan wise mine ram up to around 1350-1400rpm, been playing destiny 2 for a bit and temps look ok but every now and then (roughly 15 second apart) i get spikes of 20 degrees which push up near 75 degrees, have i missed something as over the weekend i had to reinstall windows again due to constant bsod (taking the boot drive from my itx build and using it in the new atx setup)

Back
Top Bottom