• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x massive temp spikes under watercooling

Associate
i placed the order on Sunday and there were 3 looked early Monday and all were gone, so yeah very lucky to get one :) , if you check ek's website, the eta is mid april for more :(
Was looking to get one later this week :(
Just comparing between ek and optimus right now.

Soldato
OP
Was looking to get one later this week :(
Just comparing between ek and optimus right now.

overclockers have different models of the block i got (mine was the nickel/plexi version)

they have

3 of the Nickel + Acetal (am4)
2 of the full Nickel (am4)
2 of the Copper + Acetal (am4)

now mine has had time to bed in my ccd temps are almost identical (ccd1@34 degrees, ccd2 @36 degrees) which is epic and load temps are with in 5 degrees of each other (70.3 degrees under load) and most importantly no temp spikes, it always stays at above temps at idle.

yes they are expensive but I'm pretty impressed plus they do look good :)

Associate
overclockers have different models of the block i got (mine was the nickel/plexi version)

they have

3 of the Nickel + Acetal (am4)
2 of the full Nickel (am4)
2 of the Copper + Acetal (am4)

now mine has had time to bed in my ccd temps are almost identical (ccd1@34 degrees, ccd2 @36 degrees) which is epic and load temps are with in 5 degrees of each other (70.3 degrees under load) and most importantly no temp spikes, it always stays at above temps at idle.

yes they are expensive but I'm pretty impressed plus they do look good :)
Did you compare ek vs optimus before deciding which to go for?
I heard optimus do better but ek looks nice!

Soldato
OP
i've always gone for ek, never used any other brand tbh, had a quick look at optimus products they do look good but until you said about them I've never heard of them.

i had the velocity block from ek prior to getting the magnitude, my temps on my 3900x were crap for some reason but switching to the new magnitude block and my cpu is lovely and cool at idle and under load (have a 4.4ghz all core oc @ 1.3v and max temp is 70.3 degrees with the new block, vs 83.8 degrees on the old velocity block)

edit looking closer at the optimus blocks they have a similar design to the ek velocity blocks (how the jet plate and fin array is configured) the magnitude on the other hand has a machined fin array and the jet plate assembly is unique to the am4 socket so the processors get the best flow of coolant over the chiplets.

i suppose its down to personal preference, if you like optimus then go for that one, probably be cheaper too :)

Last edited:
Associate
i've always gone for ek, never used any other brand tbh, had a quick look at optimus products they do look good but until you said about them I've never heard of them.

i had the velocity block from ek prior to getting the magnitude, my temps on my 3900x were crap for some reason but switching to the new magnitute block and my cpu is lovely and cool at idle and under load (have a 4.4ghz all core oc @ 1.3v and max temp is 70.3 degrees with the new block, vs 83.8 degrees on the old velocity block)
That is some really good performance there! :)

Soldato
OP
ran the built in cpu-z benchmark test, and a couple of runs of 3dmark (timespy and firestrike) for some reason cinebench always crashes even at stock speed when i was playing around, not sure if my ram is set too aggressively, tbh setting it back to 18,22,22,42 doesn't help :(, but gaming is total fine, hell the cpu runs cooler peaking around 62-65 degrees normally (thats at the 4.4ghz oc)

ran the cpu-z benchmark on the old block and saw the ridiculous temps, but i was on the latest bios for my mobo, after i rolled back things got better but not much until the new block was installed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom