• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x massive temp spikes under watercooling

Man of Honour
Here's my temps and voltages using a 360mm AIO ( fans fixed at 1000rpm ). 1usmus Universal power plan.

Idle 40 / bench 71, Cores boosting to 4.6 ;

Vz1m91y.jpg

Temps ramp up quickly and drop quickly before and after benching - i would say ~2 seconds to go from 40 to 70 degrees, but no temp spikes at random

Soldato
OP
just ram cpu-z built in benchmark and with cpu at 4.4ghz and 1.35v i hit 78.3 degrees with in a second, headed into the bios and set everything to auto ran the same test and my cpu boosted to 4.513ghz on most cores (8) and voltage was 1.48v and i hit an absurd 83.8 degrees, i have my new cpu block en route, I'll give it a go but if no joy I'll buck up and get the 3950x

Soldato
OP
you don't think it could be down to the bios do you?, i updated my board from 0803 to 1302 over the weekend, and I've just disabled high precision event timer within device manager to see if that helps, online it says you can gain 5-8% and it may stop the temp spikes.

i'll have a play and report back

Soldato
OP
just noticing sat in windows on the desktop my cpu temp ramps up to 49 then back to 39 and keeps doing it over and over, its never a steady temp, every now and then around a minute it will ramp up to 59 degrees and go back to 49, 39, it keeps doing it :(

Soldato
just noticing sat in windows on the desktop my cpu temp ramps up to 49 then back to 39 and keeps doing it over and over, its never a steady temp, every now and then around a minute it will ramp up to 59 degrees and go back to 49, 39, it keeps doing it :(
Could be something running in the background
Windows update, virus scanner etc
Use task manager to have a look

Soldato
OP
right just rolled back my bois to 1201 and things seem to be better the max temp i'm seeing starting up destiny is roughly 13 degrees lower peak temp at 64 degrees, plus that's with a all core oc of 4.3ghz at 1.325v, im noticing that my ccd1 and ccd2 temps in hwinfo64 are 10 degrees diffrent ccd1 is at 53 degrees and ccd2 is at 63 degrees, correct me if i'm wrong but arnt the ccd's the chiplets? if so why is one hotter than the other?

Soldato
OP
CCD's are the chiplets.

I have a similar cooling setup as you and a 3900x. Did you want me to test anything for you?

3900x volicity block
1080ti eg block
2x 360 rads

do you have a temp difference on you ccd's like me or are you ok, i ran stock or under gaming load and noticed a good 10 degree difference between the two (ccd1 was around 10 degrees more than ccd2) i have a 4.4ghz all core clock and am running 1.33v to maintain that, good news rolling back my bios has stopped my chip going over 70 degrees now max i can see is around 68-69 under load which I'm fine with (compared with 83.8 degrees before)

Associate
Yes, seeing a temp diff on CCD's Around 8` during gaming but that is because CCD 0 is loaded more.

During gaming, the max I see is mid to upper 60's.
During Folding (doing my bit for COVID 19), I see upper 70's - but folding is a bit taxing on the CPU.
GPU, gaming upper 30's. Folding 41.

Just at desktop doing nothing, CPU bounces around 36 to 41 as cores load up then go dormant.

One thing I have noticed, the loop is a tad hotter since moving to a 3900x but I guess that is to be expected. I have a spare 280 rad that I'm thinking about sticking in the loop but...any point.

Edit - I'm using soft tubes at the mo and thinking to move to hard. If I do, the 360 rad will be introduced into the loop at the same time.

Soldato
OP
that's good to know (not just me then :) ), mine sat idle now drops as low as 29 and the jumps i was getting seem to be more under control now only peaking up to around 37 and the odd 45 but not as bad as before, i have the new ek magnitude block en route so will give that a go and see if my load temps can be better, do you notice a huge leap in heat under load (1-2sec) or does your chip gradually creep up to its top temp? (10-15sec)

EDIT- i'm using soft tubing also, have 2 360mm rad's (ek pe classic) one for each part in pc (gpu and cpu / vrm's)

I'm folding now on my gpu and max temp with a overclock applied is around 50 degrees, cant seem to get work for the cpu to do but over the weekend i got lucky, and when i looked at temps they were in the mid 70's, that was after the bios roll back though, thinking about it it could've been the latest bios that caused my cpu spikes, i just hope i haven't damaged my chip

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
got the new bock installed and although load temps haven't really changed much (-5 degrees) idle spikes have completely disappeared and my cpu sits happily at 30 degrees at idle at 4.4ghz with 1.3v , gaming is better too my cpu in some cases sits just under 70 but mostly around 62-65 degrees which is a lot better, checked the old block and all seemed ok the fin array was clear and not damaged in any way.

could have been the latest bios that was the problem, I'll be sure to not update to the latest one next time

Associate
got the new bock installed and although load temps haven't really changed much (-5 degrees) idle spikes have completely disappeared and my cpu sits happily at 30 degrees at idle at 4.4ghz with 1.3v , gaming is better too my cpu in some cases sits just under 70 but mostly around 62-65 degrees which is a lot better, checked the old block and all seemed ok the fin array was clear and not damaged in any way.

could have been the latest bios that was the problem, I'll be sure to not update to the latest one next time

Which block did you go for?

Back
Top Bottom