• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3950x ETA

Associate
For those of us who want great multi-threaded performance at a compelling price point; the 3950X seems like a good proposition. However, there doesn't appear to have been much hype around the release, other than when it was first announced for a vague "September" release.

Is there anything further on when this CPU will be out? Will OcUK be taking pre-orders? It seems like the sensible thing to wait for this, rather than to dive into the expensive and legacy Intel HEDT systems.

Soldato
I'd imagine AMD are waiting for Intel and the 9900S to be announced and then undercut and/or beat it with the 3950X

Associate
Yes it's very quiet, almost too quiet.

I was surprised when AMD announced it's for September, rather than wait for what their rivals will introduce to the market. It will be out on it's own in terms of performance and price.

Soldato
X299 price slashing and new boards my have effected 16 core release. If Intel are hinting at biog price cuts, it will be best practice to see how much they charge for 12-18 core units along with X299 refresh boards .

Permabanned
I'd imagine AMD are waiting for Intel and the 9900S to be announced and then undercut and/or beat it with the 3950X

3950X has no connection whatsoever with 9900SK. They are not close in performance, nor in price - $750 vs perhaps $500.
One is "promised" for September, the other for October.

Associate
3950X has no connection whatsoever with 9900SK. They are not close in performance, nor in price - $750 vs perhaps $500.
Dude what you been smokin'?? 3950X is the one that's supposed to bring the two high binned dies to the fore, theoretically allowing for the 4.7-4.8GHz boost range despite a lower base speed. Willing to bet these will hit 4.6-4.7 all core OC with good cooling...

You think that won't give the 9900KS a run for it's money perf wise? It'll crap all over it in MC regardless. I'd be interested to see if the 9900KS comes in below $650...

Permabanned
You're not wrong, the 3950X is going to **** all over the 9900KS.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant, was it...

Yes, it was exactly what I meant. I don't understand the personal attack above.
9900SK won't change anything that cannot be done by the 3700X and 3900X. You already forgot the 3900X and think the 9900SK will jump over it? :confused: :eek:

Soldato

Apart from both are best efforts from each company. I don’t think the 9900S will match a 3900X, it will just show how wide the gap is between AMD and Intel.

Soldato
For those of us who want great multi-threaded performance at a compelling price point; the 3950X seems like a good proposition. However, there doesn't appear to have been much hype around the release, other than when it was first announced for a vague "September" release.

Is there anything further on when this CPU will be out? Will OcUK be taking pre-orders? It seems like the sensible thing to wait for this, rather than to dive into the expensive and legacy Intel HEDT systems.

Around Sept 16th.
X299 price slashing and new boards my have effected 16 core release. If Intel are hinting at biog price cuts, it will be best practice to see how much they charge for 12-18 core units along with X299 refresh boards .

Define "Intel price cuts"? They haven't slashed the prices against TR 2 years now, any price slashing of X299 platform would cannibalize the 9900KS. Which is already getting mauled by 4 AMD CPUs (3700/3800/3900/3950).
Forget the dreams. 3900X & 3950X have killed anything Intel has with the new X series bellow 18-20 core, which remains with PCIe 3.0 and no NVME raid without forking £100+ for making it work.

And lets not forget even if soldered, the current gen Intel X299 platform operates at 90C+ under water, and that includes the 10 core CPUs.
There are severe limitations to 14nm when comes to power consumption and temperatures, and especially yields when moving to 8+ cores. Regardless how mature the tech is, the chips are massive in size with high failure rates and consuming a lot of power.

And that from the mouth of a pretty respectable, Intel & Nvidia fan.

Back
Top Bottom