3D Dropped by Panasonic

Soldato
We paid £35 each to watch Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D with the enormous glasses on and I have to sat it was fantastic in the IMAX cinema despite the fact that there was distracting 'tearing' in fast moving scenes.

3D done well is a lot of fun but only once in a while on special occasions. Joe Punter was hardly likely to watch Emmerdale in 3D.

£35 each where the heck did you go ? Our local Cineworld has an IMAX but thats £15 !! I've never paid more than £18 for IMAX 3D.

and it’s great to be able to see the films as the film makers intentions.

Except when its "fake" 3D like some of the Marvel movies are. They then get the 3D treatment in post to appease the studios making money out of the 3D masses.

Soldato
"3D video" will be be dug up, inflated and flogged once more to future generations with renewed enthusiasm when all the negative factors have been forgotten again.

Soldato
Associate
£35 each where the heck did you go ? Our local Cineworld has an IMAX but thats £15 !! I've never paid more than £18 for IMAX 3D.

Except when its "fake" 3D like some of the Marvel movies are. They then get the 3D treatment in post to appease the studios making money out of the 3D masses.

Many of those 'fake' 3D movies are exactly as the filmmakers intended - the directors of Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr Strange in particular have been openly vocal in their support and perforce for the 3D versions of their films.

The argument that 'fake' 3D is inferior kind of went out the window when Gravity won best cinematography with its "fake 3d"

Associate
All the cinemas around me only show Imax along with 3D. So yes I am forced to watch 3d if I want to watch a film on a huge Imax screen.

Pleanty of non imax cinemas around, including large screens that show 2D. Thats not being forced to do something.

Soldato
Pleanty of non imax cinemas around, including large screens that show 2D. Thats not being forced to do something.
The Imax screens are like 4x the size of the 2d ones. I go to the cinema to experience this, but 3d is forced onto every Imax showing now.

What is so hard to understand, if I want to watch a movie on an Imax sized screen then I'm forced to watch 3D.

Associate
The Imax screens are like 4x the size of the 2d ones. I go to the cinema to experience this, but 3d is forced onto every Imax showing now.

What is so hard to understand, if I want to watch a movie on an Imax sized screen then I'm forced to watch 3D.

There are options of 2D showing of virtually every 3D film these days.

With the rare exception of proper Imax screens like the Empire at Leicester Square or the BFI, local cinemas with fake "digital 2k imax" projectors showing 2.35:1 films are nothing like 4 x as large. Its a clever marketing ploy that makes money from the ignorant.

Imax as a brand has been 3D for years now but its one small part of theatrical cinema - your not forced to go to imax.

There are many large format alternative such as Vue's VueXtreme screens and Cineworld Superscreens that are doing 2d screenings with proper 4k projectors that would provide superior quality and meed your wish for 2D.

Its your choice to go to imax nothing is forced on you.

Man of Honour
Avatar is still the most spectacular thing I've ever seen on a cinema screen.

Crap film, but as an event special.

Soldato
Never understood the fuss about 3D.

Haven’t seen a single film that I thought benefited from it. I always chose 2D in the cinema now.

Good story telling > dodgy special effects.

Associate
Many of those 'fake' 3D movies are exactly as the filmmakers intended - the directors of Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr Strange in particular have been openly vocal in their support and perforce for the 3D versions of their films.

The argument that 'fake' 3D is inferior kind of went out the window when Gravity won best cinematography with its "fake 3d"
jurassic park in 3d is excellent, as is predator.

Soldato
3D on my LG C6 is really good not that i use it much if i am honest. 3D will come back when we dont need glasses i think in 20 years maybe.

Caporegime
you guys are forgetting this is a tech forum. there will be a lot of 3D viewers.

for the majority of normal people they could care less. it's very much a niche market.

they also don't like the fact you need to wear glasses in the home. going to the cinema is different, it's all about the experience.

also 3D content doesn't exist for netflix or prime video does it? so the only mass market mainstream available media is sky 3d movies which costs a fortune.

out of all the people i know only 2 buy blu rays. and that is a lot of people. so the people on here don't represent the majority.

3D is very much a nice market. as such they don't cater to them. they tried to make it take off but the majority voted against it. it's why plasma died. the majority didn't want it. OLED still has a very low adoption rate too compared to LCD. the majority don't care if it's superior technology. it's forced upon them on premium phones but they don't have a choice as samsung only produce like 2 high end phones a year, etc. the tv market literally has thousands of models to choose from.

it's a competitive market and they need to cut costs. every manufacturer should just pick 1 tv in their line up and give it 3D. keep all the rest 2D only. however they will likely kill it. so when there are no 3D tv's being made what will happen to content? it will also die because nobody buys it or not enough people buying it.

3D isn't dead yet but give it 5 years and it will be.

Associate
I keep hold of a Sony HMZ-T2 headset just for my 3D viewing, nothing compares (imo) to watching 3D on this headset with it’s separate oled screen for each eye. I still buy 3D movies just for the experience but most of my purchases are now 4K blu-ray or iTunes purchases to watch on my Apple TV 4K.

Back
Top Bottom