3K Gaming PC Build - need ideas / suggestions

Soldato
I don't disagree with your spending mate, don't have to justify it to me :D

My last build lasted me 2013 (4670k I think) until August 2019 last year I upgraded which cost me £1.5k. My old rig still runs great for the lad I sold it too after for his game usage.

Now I run 1440p nicely on my new rig, my Dell monitor was a steal I got for £315. :)

Associate
OP

My last build lasted me 2013 (4670k I think) until August 2019 last year I upgraded which cost me £1.5k. My old rig still runs great for the lad I sold it too after for his game usage.

Now I run 1440p nicely on my new rig, my Dell monitor was a steal I got for £315. :)

That's similar to my situ then! Just feels weird, spending so much time with a rig, still nothing wrong with it but fancy a change. Probably would only be worth £500 on the market if anyone would buy it.

It's a Corsair 450D Case, an 8GB Sapphire RX580 Nitro, i7-4790K with a Corsair H100 loop, ASRock Z97 MOBO, SuperFlower Gold 650 PSU, 2 x 8GB DDR3, 750GB SSD space etc.

I don't even know if it's sellable.

Associate
OP

Also.. the other reason for creating this topic so early. Anything I should avoid as such? I mean, some good tips as in what's a ripoff or a **** product in the current market? What brands have went downhill since my last build and so on?

You mentioned £200 MOBO is more than satisfactory for example.. I hear a lot about PCIe GEN4? So stuff like that would be good to geta TL;DR on.

Soldato
That's similar to my situ then! Just feels weird, spending so much time with a rig, still nothing wrong with it but fancy a change. Probably would only be worth £500 on the market if anyone would buy it.

It's a Corsair 450D Case, an 8GB Sapphire RX580 Nitro, i7-4790K with a Corsair H100 loop, ASRock Z97 MOBO, SuperFlower Gold 650 PSU, 2 x 8GB DDR3, 750GB SSD space etc.

I don't even know if it's sellable.

Yeah prob £400-500 region, I sold mine with literally same CPU & GPU actually I just checked for £450. I did put it up for £500 at the time (last Aug'19) but dropped it £50 as sold it to a family friend's lad who was after his first gaming PC. He still loves it to this day lol. I'd prob expect about £350-400 for yours these days with the RX 580 in it and timing of next gen out soon.

Also.. the other reason for creating this topic so early. Anything I should avoid as such? I mean, some good tips as in what's a ripoff or a **** product in the current market? What brands have went downhill since my last build and so on?

You mentioned £200 MOBO is more than satisfactory for example.. I hear a lot about PCIe GEN4? So stuff like that would be good to geta TL;DR on.

Long as you get X570 or B550 board, you'll have PCIe 4.0 to future proof. Better to go X570 though with your budget (probably suggest the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite or the MSI Tomahawk if you don't mind the aesthetics) as X570 has more PCIe lanes - which means it can support more USB, SATA, PCIe devices etc.

Think it's gonna be a while though before PCIe4 GPUs are a thing, because they can't even saturate PCIe3 bandwidth still these days. Atm only NVMe Gen4 drives exist to take advantage (up to 5000Mb read and 4400Mb write speeds). But real world you ain't gonna notice that from a Gen3 NVMe drive doing 2400-3000Mb for instance. That could change in the future though, with next-gen consoles using high speed NVMe drives (PS5 mainly) and game devs using them to enable seamless map/texture loads and boot times etc... That could make it's way slowly over to PC games, likely take longer though due to how custom PCs can be, as opposed to set a BOM that the PS5 will be.

Don't really think anything stands out in my head tbh otherwise. Just that AMD's Ryzen is much better value now these days, and has equal or better performance than the Intel equivalent, for a lot less ££.

Associate
OP
Yeah prob £400-500 region, I sold mine with literally same CPU & GPU actually I just checked for £450. I did put it up for £500 at the time (last Aug'19) but dropped it £50 as sold it to a family friend's lad who was after his first gaming PC. He still loves it to this day lol

Long as you get X570 or B550 board, you'll have PCIe 4.0 to future proof. Better to go X570 though with your budget (probably suggest the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite or the MSI Tomahawk if you don't mind the aesthetics) as X570 has more PCIe lanes - which means it can support more USB, SATA, PCIe devices etc.

Think it's gonna be a while though before PCIe4 GPUs are a thing, because they can't even saturate PCIe3 bandwidth still these days. Atm only NVMe Gen4 drives exist to take advantage (up to 5000Mb read and 4400Mb write speeds). But real world you ain't gonna notice that from a Gen3 NVMe drive doing 2400-3000Mb for instance. That could change in the future though, with next-gen consoles using high speed NVMe drives (PS5 mainly) and game devs using them to enable seamless map/texture loads and boot times etc... That could make it's way slowly over to PC games, likely take longer though due to how custom PCs can be, as opposed to set a BOM that the PS5 will be.

Don't really think anything stands out in my head tbh otherwise. Just that AMD's Ryzen is much better value now these days, and has equal or better performance than the Intel equivalent, for a lot less ££.

Thanks, sounds great. I liked the AORUS motherboard with the light-up RGB hawk / eagle vibe. Same said for ROG STRIX's ones too. One thing that changed from 5-6 years ago. EVERYTHING HAS RBG. Which I guess is good, as you can make a nice uniform colour across the rig from components without using sketchy LED strips.

I also presume this build is a MIDI tower build too, so I should look from that category?

The only "tricky" bit will be to find a potential white design new series GPU. Any idea when AMD is revealed? I'd be tempted to wait, but I heard that would be well after NVIDIA's potential solution. Also - is it only new GPUs this year?

Soldato
Nvidia's normal release schedule would mean they should announce their Ampere GPUs mid-August and release mid/late September. Starting at the top end models first, then slowly trickle the models down out the coming months after.

AMD keep saying they are releasing their next gen CPUs (Ryzen 4xxx) and RDNA 2 GPUs (very) late this year as well. Not much info other than 40-50% faster fumours than a 2080 Ti. So if true would shake up the GPU market a bit with Nvidia.

I think next-gen consoles is also going to have a big impact. If they launch at £400-500 region and have a 2080 Ti equivalent GPU, AMD/Nvidia are going to lose PC GPU market share to next-gen consoles. So may hopefully (but unlikely) bring GPU prices down.

But the Ryzen 4xxx CPUs will work with the B550 and X570 chipsets, that's already been guaranteed so no issue there if invested beforehand. But then want to upgrade CPU to a 4xxx CPU later.

Some info here
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nvidia-ampere
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7295...s-coming-to-pc-gamers-in-late-2020/index.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7377...50-faster-than-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/index.html

Man of Honour
The only "tricky" bit will be to find a potential white design new series GPU. Any idea when AMD is revealed? I'd be tempted to wait, but I heard that would be well after NVIDIA's potential solution. Also - is it only new GPUs this year?
You should be able to get a white gpu or black and white just mite have to wait a little longer for the custom cards from the big you makers.

Associate
OP
Nvidia's normal release schedule would mean they should announce their Ampere GPUs mid-August and release mid/late September. Starting at the top end models first, then slowly trickle the models down out the coming months after.

AMD keep saying they are releasing their next gen CPUs (Ryzen 4xxx) and RDNA 2 GPUs (very) late this year as well. Not much info other than 40-50% faster fumours than a 2080 Ti. So if true would shake up the GPU market a bit with Nvidia.

I think next-gen consoles is also going to have a big impact. If they launch at £400-500 region and have a 2080 Ti equivalent GPU, AMD/Nvidia are going to lose PC GPU market share to next-gen consoles. So may hopefully (but unlikely) bring GPU prices down.

But the Ryzen 4xxx CPUs will work with the B550 and X570 chipsets, that's already been guaranteed so no issue there if invested beforehand. But then want to upgrade CPU to a 4xxx CPU later.

Some info here
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nvidia-ampere
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7295...s-coming-to-pc-gamers-in-late-2020/index.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7377...50-faster-than-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/index.html

Hmm, I see. That is kind of the articles what I've read or seen as rumours. Next question is I guess, how long to wait and when to just say "**** it" and purchase a rig. My fear is (knowing AMD) that their GPUs are gonna be hella good and less price than the 3080 for example. Like now the 5700XT is an amazing card that costs less than a 2080 but offers like 5 FPS less for half the price.

Soldato
Your call - could prob be waiting 5-6 months for all the next gen stuff to be released :p

If you bought now or Sept if Nvidia stick to rumours of Sept release... then AMD 4000 CPUs aren't going to be massive improvements, but you do have choice of MB being compatible, buying 4000 CPU and selling on your old one. Ofc lose some money selling on used and buying next-gen tech, but would help offset cost.

Same applies for GPUs. We've no idea who's rumours are closer to the truth in terms of % performance gains. So you could end up waiting forever for for little reason lol

Personally a Nvidia fan these days, AMD put me off with sketchy drivers. I still think they make good value GPUs though.

Associate
OP
Your call - could prob be waiting 5-6 months for all the next gen stuff to be released :p

If you bought now or Sept if Nvidia stick to rumours of Sept release... then AMD 4000 CPUs aren't going to be massive improvements, but you do have choice of MB being compatible, buying 4000 CPU and selling on your old one. Ofc lose some money selling on used and buying next-gen tech, but would help offset cost.

Same applies for GPUs. We've no idea who's rumours are closer to the truth in terms of % performance gains. So you could end up waiting forever for for little reason lol

Personally a Nvidia fan these days, AMD put me off with sketchy drivers. I still think they make good value GPUs though.

yeah, thats the thing sadly. What you buy today is outdated a month later at times.. tech is just a weird area like that. CPU for me is not a massive thing. Like I said my 4790K is probably still not even maxed out on my daily gaming usage haha. I'll just wait for the custom 3080's or whatever they'll be called, observe benchmarks then go for it. First time team Green so hope I don't regret!

Man of Honour
Hmm, I see. That is kind of the articles what I've read or seen as rumours. Next question is I guess, how long to wait and when to just say "**** it" and purchase a rig. My fear is (knowing AMD) that their GPUs are gonna be hella good and less price than the 3080 for example. Like now the 5700XT is an amazing card that costs less than a 2080 but offers like 5 FPS less for half the price.

That's the thing how long do you wait, you could do a complete build reusing your old you gpu till release.

Back
Top Bottom