40-45k, what would you buy?

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I'm considering treating myself and upgrading from my Abarth 595 to something new. My budget is around £40-45k, though I could stretch a bit further for something really special. It's easy to get carried away, but I’m trying to stay within that range.

I wouldn’t call myself a petrolhead, and honestly, I've never driven anything close to the kinds of cars I’m looking at in this price range. I am finding things like Jaguar F-Type, Alpine A110, BMW M4, Toyota Supra, Mustang or even Porsche Cayman/Boxster and these seem to be available in this price point on AutoTrader, there is a bit of mix of cars in there I know!

Id like something within the past few years, not anything much older. I of course will need to consider maintenance and/or warranty packages so don't want to go for something old and a potential money sink.

I don't have any strict requirements as such, I am expecting it will mainly be a "weekend" car. I use public transport for commuting, but it does need to be practical enough for general driving around town and capable of handling a grocery run (big or small!) for me and my wife. I play golf, so fitting my clubs in the boot would be ideal, but I could always put them in the passenger seat :D

This feels like my last chance to enjoy a nice, fun car for 12-18 months before possible family commitments come along.

Would love to hear any suggestions or advice!

Last edited:
A 200bhp 2 litre petrol hatchback.

A 530bhp coupe.

What is it you actually want because they are very different in terms of both performance and costs.
I did say there was variety, I have literally just put into Autotrader my budget and just scrolled through things to see what I like the look of. The Audi is probably a couple steps removed from the others though. The costs is what I was looking for some sort of guidance on, I have zero clue what to expect from these cars.

Last edited:
I did say there was variety, I have literally just put into Autotrader my budget and just scrolled through things to see what I like the look of. The Audi is probably a couple steps removed from the others though. The costs is what I was looking for some sort of guidance on, I have zero clue what to expect from these cars.

But if you're happy with the 200bhp on offer from the Audi then why pay the massive extra cost involved with an M4? You could get a 420i M Sport which would look the same but offer the power and costs of the Audi.

Then why throw a fairly large chunk of money that way?
I am not sure I understand your comment. I have never had a "nice" car in this sense, I am asking for advice. How else should I go about this?

Should I just get a push bike and keep the money in the bank?
But if you're happy with the 200bhp on offer from the Audi then why pay the massive extra cost involved with an M4? You could get a 420i M Sport which would look the same but offer the power and costs of the Audi.
Well I am happy with the looks of it, I haven't driven any of these cars. Extra cost in what way and how much, thats what I am looking for some advice with I guess.
Thanks for the suggestion of an m420i, will take a look. Any particular spec I should be looking at here or do you have any links of anything you have seen?

I am really leaning towards the F-Type at the minute, need to understand more of the costs involved but just in terms of seemingly car for money value ratio. Cayman and Boxster also something a bit more special but again I don't know if they are value for money at this range.

Last edited:
If you're not a petrolhead and you don't understand what a 45k car would even offer you, why have you decided you need/want to spend 45k on a car? :p
It offers me something a lot more premium and nicer than my current car lol. I don't really want to go down the road much further than justifying it because then ill talk myself out of it :cry:

Just feels a bit of a once in a lifetime to get something now whilst i can to enjoy it.

Best thing to do is make a shortlist of what you need the car to do.

Is it just a toy to let loose in or does there need to be a degree of usability to do general life stuff.

What sort of mileage will you be doing? Commuting?

Last edited:
Jesus it's a tough crowd in here! I would go and test drive a few, you’ll soon workout what you like, what you don’t and what you want.

When you have a better idea of what you want then you’ll get some more direct advice. For that money I’d go for something like this model

Best thing to do is make a shortlist of what you need the car to do.

Is it just a toy to let loose in or does there need to be a degree of usability to do general life stuff.

What sort of mileage will you be doing? Commuting?
I covered it in the main OP but yeah its a mix really, I would love a toy to let loose in but it is going to be the only car in the household so does need to be sensible to an extent of capable of a bit of shopping, golfing, can fit a couple bags for a weekend trip and so forth. Mileage under 6/7k a year. No commuting for work etc.

Jesus it's a tough crowd in here! I would go and test drive a few, you’ll soon workout what you like, what you don’t and what you want.

When you have a better idea of what you want then you’ll get some more direct advice. For that money I’d go for something like this model

Hah, yeah I think thats definitely what I need to do. I think ive found the shortlist of ones I like and are popping up a lot in this price range, so will take it from there.

Thanks for that suggestion, I have to admit I had been sticking mainly to 3drs just because I think of them as more sporty etc but that is probably a lot more practical with the added sport features and power and even if family commitments change then that would be suitable also!

Go and test drive a few Porsches - I think that will set your benchmark.
Most Porsches in that price range are boring, unless you go for something older like the 997 Turbo... Don't get me wrong, they're very capable track cars, but on the road they aren't that fun.

981 Boxster / Cayman GTS if you want sporty. Bit old now but in reality easy enough to keep in warranty if you want and servicing every 2 years keeps maintenance ok.
F-Type R if you want more of a GT / Muscle car.

Alpine if you want something a bit different, but not so practical.

Back
Top Bottom