40-45k, what would you buy?

981 Boxster / Cayman GTS if you want sporty. Bit old now but in reality easy enough to keep in warranty if you want and servicing every 2 years keeps maintenance ok.
F-Type R if you want more of a GT / Muscle car.

Alpine if you want something a bit different, but not so practical.
I think I am looking at 718 Boxster or Cayman in my price range for Porsche. I wil look into the warranty options etc, or I will just ask the question when I go to see some.

A bit over budget but not sure how much negotiation there is in there!

I really do like the F-Type.

Agreed, think Alpine is just a bit too far away from practical and the looks are definitely not growing on me.

Last edited:
You can get a 718 but you really miss the fizz of a 6 cylinder NA engine, it literally defines Porsche. That said, if you're not that fussed about it then the 2.5T feels rapid and is more everyday.

I would go with a M2C personally, if the car had to be fairly new and low mileage. The spare change use for track days and tyres.

Honestly, despite the OcUK Motors traditional desire to get you into the most powerful and least practical option possible, to me it sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with a 430i, A5 etc. around the 250-300bhp mark.

They can look really nice, they're not slow (and certainly not slow in "I'm not a petrolhead" terms), they won't drink fuel, cost fortunes to service/insure/warranty etc. etc. and you could probably get a few more fancy toys/features for the money.

Last edited:
You can get a 718 but you really miss the fizz of a 6 cylinder NA engine, it literally defines Porsche. That said, if you're not that fussed about it then the 2.5T feels rapid and is more everyday.
I am not seeing a lot of the 2.5t but will keep an eye out, thanks. Is the 2.0t a no go?

I would go with a M2C personally, if the car had to be fairly new and low mileage. The spare change use for track days and tyres.
I do like the M2C and M4, not a huge fan of the M3. Cheers

Honestly, despite the OcUK Motors traditional desire to get you into the most powerful and least practical option possible, to me it sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with a 430i, A5 etc. around the 250-300bhp mark.

They can look really nice, they're not slow (and certainly not slow in "I'm not a petrolhead" terms), they won't drink fuel, cost fortunes to service/insure/warranty etc. etc. and you could probably get a few more fancy toys/features for the money.
Yes definitely seems the most sensible option which is probably best for me. I will start doing some research on the 430i and A5s to get an idea of what sort of spec etc I would want and ill try find some local so I can check them out.

Was going to suggest an F87 M2, but reading through the thread it seems like a non-M is probably the best best.

Something like an M340/440 is probably the sensible choice here if you want something that's rather quick but also practical.
A Z4 M40 or the equivalent Toyota Supra could be fun if you want a convertible or coupe.

M140. Plenty power, looks good and sensible hatchback benefits.

Otherwise a 3 or 4 series M-Sport if you prefer a sedan.

Was going to suggest an F87 M2, but reading through the thread it seems like a non-M is probably the best best.

Something like an M340/440 is probably the sensible choice here if you want something that's rather quick but also practical.
A Z4 M40 or the equivalent Toyota Supra could be fun if you want a convertible or coupe.
The m340i and m440i is popping up a lot. A lot of options out there also, need to just work out the different spec levels etc.

This is maybe a bit too extreme?

Some 430 options;

Like this colour a lot!

I have a BMW dealers near me so will see what they have in stock and if they have a few options then at least I can see them and test drive etc. Then if I need to travel for the one I pick then thats not an issue!

Last edited:
The m340i and m440i is popping up a lot. A lot of options out there also, need to just work out the different spec levels etc.

This is maybe a bit too extreme?

Some 430 options;

Like this colour a lot!
What do you want from a car? I got an M2 because I wanted an M2 (M4 was too big and also out of budget).
The current generation is a much nicer place to be and the x30i has plenty of poke even though it's a 2 litre.

The fact you're even considering a 430i means that an M4 is complete overkill.
Find a nice green 430i with a funky interior colour and enjoy :)

What do you want from a car? I got an M2 because I wanted an M2 (M4 was too big and also out of budget).
The current generation is a much nicer place to be and the x30i has plenty of poke even though it's a 2 litre.

I initially started with just thinking I want something a lot nicer, faster, fun, bigger than my current Abarth. I know its not very specific but I don't really have any requirement as such.

I need to learn more about the differences between a 430i and M4, costs involved and so on. M4 just sounds cool and I do like the more aggressive look lol.

You do get a lot of car in the 2 series e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...00&quantity-of-doors=2&year-from=2022&fromsra or https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...00&quantity-of-doors=2&year-from=2022&fromsra and https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...m=30000&price-to=40000&year-from=2020&fromsra

Last edited:
I'd upgrade the Elise to an Exige 430 cup. That's about as mental as it gets for a "usable" weekend road car and it's unlikely to lose any value now :D

But, if you want something more boring the choices are hard now. Not many recent cars are all that exciting.

Last edited:

The 430 is a great blend of 'fast enough' for a non-petrolhead in every day use and parsimonious in daily use and on longer runs. I routinely get 45+MPG out of my 428i on motorway runs sitting at about 65.

For something in that price range I think I'd have a hard time turning down something like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408283366534

Personally the Lotus Exige, this one on autotrader.

3.5 V6 S Club Racer Coupe 2dr Petrol Manual Euro 5 (350 ps)
2016 22K miles, full Lotus service history
£41,500

The 430 is a great blend of 'fast enough' for a non-petrolhead in every day use and parsimonious in daily use and on longer runs. I routinely get 45+MPG out of my 428i on motorway runs sitting at about 65.

For something in that price range I think I'd have a hard time turning down something like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408283366534
I do really like the look of the 430.

I looked at the Alfa and I do really like it but think it might just be a bit big but maybe that just my perception of it. Will see if I can find a local one to see.
Personally the Lotus Exige, this one on autotrader.

3.5 V6 S Club Racer Coupe 2dr Petrol Manual Euro 5 (350 ps)
2016 22K miles, full Lotus service history
£41,500
Unfortunately just too far on the non practical scale.

The boot is surprisingly big. You may be able to get golf clubs in it. Or just use the passenger seat (the whole thing even unbolts and comes out in a a few minutes). If not an Evora is a step up in practicality, they'll fit in that.

Finding some for sale near by might be the biggest issue at the moment. People just aren't selling these cars.

Last edited:
Most Porsches in that price range are boring, unless you go for something older like the 997 Turbo... Don't get me wrong, they're very capable track cars, but on the road they aren't that fun.
I can’t say any Porsche I’ve driven is boring other than the Taycan.

The 981 is the best Porsche in budget, but the 718 is the best car.

The noise is different but it’s fundamentally a better car in every other way.

I’d happily switch from my 981 S to a 718 S - I’m on the lookout for one in a manual.

This feels like my last chance to enjoy a nice, fun car for 12-18 months before possible family commitments come along.

Spend slightly more, and look at a Porsche Taycan 4S or similar. Ticks the nice car box, you are still at 400+ BHP, family friendly, already depreciated, maintenance costs are lower as way less to go wrong mechanically. No need to worry about changing oil every time you pop to the gym and back.

Oh, and stacks available used so a bit of a buyers market.

Back
Top Bottom