400,000 graduate jobs

Soldato
Architects run the project though, and design all the aesthetics of the project, which is what I'm interested in, not the boring maths behind it all.

That seems to be a problem, architects vs engineers.

All that boring maths behind it is what makes it feasible, designing a shape doesnt make anything possible unless you can find ways of making it work within the environment and to produce a project that meets its operational needs.

Permabanned
The boring Math that holds things up your mean ? :p

Yeah :p

I don't mind it, I think I'd be perfectly able to do it, I just don't find it interesting. My passion is for visual art, and let's face it, most people will admire a building because it looks good, not because it is an engineering master-stroke, there will be exceptions of course.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13298432 said:
News to you? Look at the application process for any of them - 300+ UCAS points or go away.

That's what, 3 Bs? Seen as you wouldn't get into many so-called good unis with less than that doesn't make it such a high limit. They also all limit it to 2:1 or above which is far more strenuous ime.

Soldato
Yeah :p

I don't mind it, I think I'd be perfectly able to do it, I just don't find it interesting. My passion is for visual art, and let's face it, most people will admire a building because it looks good, not because it is an engineering master-stroke, there will be exceptions of course.

Ha, the people who matter will admire how energy efficient it is, the people on the street will go "thats pretty"

Permabanned

All that boring maths behind it is what makes it feasible, designing a shape doesnt make anything possible unless you can find ways of making it work within the environment and to produce a project that meets its operational needs.

Well designing the operational needs is actually the architects Job, designing the usability of it all etc.

I'd find being a Civil Engineer boring, just doing all the maths for other peoples designs.

Associate
I obviously can't comment on your particular case, but in most cases, the Uni on your CV will only get you exactly that far, to the assessment centre, beyond that, from my experience it's mostly about personality, social skills, attitude, and other intangibles.

As a general rule, companies do not invite people to assessment centres unless their CV's, education, etc, have met all the requirements to get the job. It would otherwise be insanely wasteful. At an assessment centre they want to determine whether you can hold a conversation, work with other people, whether you would fit in, and whether you would be a nice person to work with. Do not think your CV was the reason you didn't make it past the assessment centre, that is generally not the case.

Words of truth above. A first class degree from a top university do not make some one employable, it makes them educated.

Your personality, your ideas, the way you work, the way you interact with your people. These are the factors that decide if you are suitable for a job.

I got a 2:1 from an OK university in an engineering discipline and after two years I have a good salary and the ability to do anything I choose, from technical configurations to presenting to international leaders in multi million pound sales.

To get a job, do your research. Phone some one at the company up, everyone likes talking about their first job. Ask them them loads of questions, get names, follow leads. Selling yourself directly instantly puts you above a 1000 CV's in a postbox.

Soldato
Well designing the operational needs is actually the architects Job, designing the usability of it all etc.

I'd find being a Civil Engineer boring, just doing all the maths for other peoples designs.

Designing isnt just an architects job, you will have the concept.

We will work together to find the best soloutions.

Its not just doing maths over some pictures, designing can work from both sides

Soldato

Architects just draw pretty shapes for people to go oooo at. A child with a vivid imagination could probably do better with a set of crayons.

Us engineers make the world go around :p

Get involved in engineering guys, I need new fresh meat to manage :D

Soldato
Are you going to do the grad scheme at KPMG? If so, your exemptions don't get you out of any class time and you still have to pass your mocks in any TC exams you have exemptions for. You still have to take all the higher modules. The exemptions basically get you a weeks extra revision for the tax modules, which I guess is handy but not a massive gain.

Yeap, KPMG Tax graduate scheme. I done an internship in their tax department last summer.

Just to give you an idea on jobs my course mate told me there were 19,000 applications for 7 jobs in Ernst & Young Ireland.

Any extra time is good extra time. There's always a chance that the final exams (not mocks) are different/unexpected/more difficult that year so I'd rather only have to do the mocks. I've been told the mocks are usually harder than the finals though haha.

It all helps on it's way to the first time pass bonus ;)

Back
Top Bottom