400,000 graduate jobs

Caporegime
Well designing the operational needs is actually the architects Job, designing the usability of it all etc.

I'd find being a Civil Engineer boring, just doing all the maths for other peoples designs.

TBH I found it really boring too, I like maths (did it at A level) but tracing loads down a building and working out whether to use an I beam or something else just wasn't my cup of tea.:p I quit after a year and did something more interesting.

One of the new buildings at our university was designed by sone reasonably high profile architects to look good, it houses among others the architects. The really funny part is it's no where near fit for purpose and the architects hate working in it. On the flip side the engineers work in what is essentially a rectangular box with no real design work, and it's perfect for learning and working in. Hopefully the architects will take something away from it.:D

Permabanned
It depends on you as an individual... doing business doesnt mean your going to be a successful business professional, i think in that industry a lot of it relies on your personality

I don't think doing a business degree would be a major contributor to that !

A couple of my mates have done business degrees, and I can't see them running their own business.

Perhaps :)

TBH I found it really boring too, I like maths (did it at A level) but tracing loads down a building and working out whether to use an I beam or something else just wasn't my cup of tea.:p I quit after a year and did something more interesting.

One of the new buildings at our university was designed by sone reasonably high profile architects to look good, it houses among others the architects. The really funny part is it's no where near fit for purpose and the architects hate working in it. On the flip side the engineers work in what is essentially a rectangular box with no real design work, and it's perfect for learning and working in. Hopefully the architects will take something away from it.:D

haha, what uni is this at?

Soldato
I have a mate that works as an architectural technologist and he says its sometimes a nightmare the dealings between architects and engineers, also that a lot of architects are way to alternative, or try to be edgy.

Fair enough there are some amazing concepts and shapes when it comes to new buildings, but at the end of the day things should be designed for what they do.

I think you should know what the buildings purpose is by looking at it or being in it.

on another note i am really interested in designing around and within the local environment and not plonking something thats out of place in that location,
not sure who but there are a few architects that love that and they are amazing

P.S. i was in welcome team for uni this year and we were all in groups doing team building tasks and whatnot, one lad who was in his 3rd year architecture was in my team and we got a task to build a little bridge to support the weight of a person with only newspapers and tape... it took him ages to think of how to go about it, before we eventually agreed tubes and triangles... he didnt have much of an imagination tbh

Last edited:
Caporegime
Crap uni I imagine if it has those standards.

Probably - although they seemed to take an interview and predicted grades into account as they made an offer before results day, most my friends seemed to do ok though.

I was simply lazy at A levels and it seems most interviews I had realised that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi there,

It's the big four accountancy firms...

Maybe but when you are just referred to as the "Big four" they could be anything, especially (looking on wiki) as there are a few "Big Fours", from TV to Music and actual Banks.

And still when comparing them to the real "Big four" such as the oil companies they are small fry...

PricewaterhouseCoopers Revenue (2008): $28.2 Billion
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Revenue (2008): $27.4 billion

ExxonMobil Revenue (2007): $404.552 Billion
Royal Dutch Shell Revenue (2007): $355.782 Billion (Profit: $31.331 Billion)

Decidedly small fry.

Associate
Hah I started a degree in September, and it has the word business in the title, so loads of the comments here make me feel great!

The difference for me (hopefully) is that I'm 31 and already have 10 years work experience. I chose to do a degree now because I was frustrated with the industry I was in and because I'd reached a bit of a glass ceiling. It's already proved to be a good decision, as the industry was financial services and the last 2 jobs I had don't even exist now.

Caporegime
Hi there,

I realise there are far bigger companies.... but those four accountancy firms are commonly called the big four, and that's not just in accountancy circles... it's one of those things I've always known ;s.

Perhaps, but it seems a lot of people (including me) didn't know, in actual fact I thought the big 4 were the 4 main banks not accountants.

It's just at the moment there are a small number of people who keep bringing everything back to the "Big Four", "most companies don't care about your UCAS points"... "Ah but the big four do!", Well newsflash, most people don't care about the "big four" and would rather work in other/bigger companies.;)

Associate
And still when comparing them to the real "Big four" such as the oil companies they are small fry...

I terms of the job market, the big four usually refers to the accountancy four. This is just how it is.

EDIT:

Incidentally, 3 of the big 4 occupy the top 3 slots for graduate employment in the Times rankings. Yes I know this is not the be all end all, but it does indicate the quality of their graduate scheme.

Last edited:
Associate
It's just at the moment there are a small number of people who keep bringing everything back to the "Big Four", "most companies don't care about your UCAS points"... "Ah but the big four do!", Well newsflash, most people don't care about the "big four" and would rather work in other/bigger companies.;)
As ever, you can get a job whatever your academic qualifications. For "graduate" positions, by their very nature, academic qualifications are an important part of the criteria, as they are aimed at graduates. But in the end, for many jobs the academic qualification itself doesn't define how good the person will be, and so the real test comes in the interviews/assessment centres, as which point the academic achievements are almost irrelevant (except in the sense that they may give a sense of lack of drive/ability to focus on a task etc). And being good academically doesn't always help. Had a guy in an assessment centre yesterday who was clearly very focussed academically, but he struggled to demonstrate an awareness of the business world or to express what non-academic skills he might be able to bring to the role (which was unrelated to his degree). He was also a bit overpowering towards others in group situations, so despite the fact that I'm sure he's doing excellently in a tough degree subject at a decent university, he wasn't what we were looking for.

I can't quite remember where this whole UCAS point discussion thing started, but here's my view on it, from a business angle. If you are still in a position to earn UCAS points, get the best you can, as it will open more doors for you later in life. If you already have your UCAS points, and you don't have a great score, then there will still be good opportunities available for you, so go for those instead. But once you are past the application form stage for most of these jobs, remember that it's not about exam grades any more. You need to show that you can adapt your life experience (which, yes, may involve challenges that you've faced in your academic work, as long as you can show what business skills you displayed) to the role that you are applying for, and that you have decent social/group interaction/teamwork skills.

And of course further down the line, once you have a couple of years of experience behind you, UCAS/degree results become less important than the fact that you can demonstrate strong performance in a business scenario, so the company you are applying to doesn't have to gamble on how you might adapt any more...

As for why the Big Four might be relevant, take a look here: http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/employers/
You may not want to work for any of them, but considering the top three positions are taken by members of the Big Four professional services firms (and Accenture at number 4 grew out of one of the Big Five (when they were that), it is notable. But, of course, not the be-all-and-end-all.

Soldato
Aye and one of them usually takes the topspot in the Times' Top 20 Big companies to work for as well. It was KPMG last year but wouldn't be surprised if it was PWC before that. Probably a combination of decent pay, non-silly hours (except January, although even that's not extreme really), gaining a great qualification and being given lots of support and proper training.

Soldato
Well exemptions really are only of use in the first lot of exams imo as you do tax TPS at the same time as TC accounting and business law. I finished my first lot in October and those with exemptions weren't much better off, in fact two of the guys failed the tax module even though they had the exemptions for the TCs, they were a bit workshy though. Good luck with the application process but I wouldn't be surprised if you get deferred. As has been reported in the Times and Mail, there's a flexible working initiative going round at the moment where they want most of us to go on 4 day weeks or take sabbaticals to cut costs until things pick up again :(

Already got a position. Wish me luck getting a 2:1 passing the CTA/CA exams instead :)

Which office are you at?

Soldato
Already got a position. Wish me luck getting a 2:1 passing the CTA/CA exams instead :)

Which office are you at?

Started at Puddle Dock in London but that's being demolished so we've moved into 10 Upper Bank Street, which is cool as I'm on the 16th floor. I'm currently working in people services doing international exec tax returns. Pretty interesting seeing the different ways companies run their expat programmes but it's pretty hard work at the moment as you can imagine!

Back
Top Bottom