• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4090 price going up?

Associate
I've listened to a few podcast recently and a few mention that the 4090 price has been rising in Asia due to supply restrictions by Nvidia. i've started to notice that a bit here over the past few weeks. a smalll but steady rise.
when is this madness going to end? is the 4090 still worth it over the 4080 if the prices keep going up.

P

Last edited:
To be fair the 4090 is about the best GPU of this generation, it's still way overpriced and it probably says more about how bad the rest of the cards are in this generation, but if you've got the money it's a heck of a card.

It's the least worst. :)

Last edited:
I've listened to a few podcast recently and a few mention that the 4090 price has been rising in Asia due to supply restrictions by Nvidia. i've started to notice that a bit here over the past few weeks. a smalll but steady rise.
when is this madness going to end? is the 4090 still worth it over the 4080 if the prices keep going up.

P

We also have exchange rate issues. Pricing fell a little when that reached $1.30/£1 but we are now back to $1.22 so new stock imported will be more expensive since MSRP is in USD.
This can easily be £100 to £150 on a £1500 card.

Zotac was the cheapest 4090 on OCUK @ £1450 but that's now £1590 with the cheapest now a Palit at £1560.

Zotac 4080 pre-order remains relatively little increase at £1050 vs £1000 cheapest. In stock it's Palit @ £1100.

Definitively prices on the rise, but most likely a mix of exchange rate and 'supply management'.

Techpowerup show the 4090 is 28% faster for 42% more cash (in stock OCUK) though you get 50% extra ram.

For 1440P I still think the 4080 is now better value than the 4090 as I'd use the £500 saved to upgrade to the 5080 in 12-18m, though for 4K, 4090 all the way if you want Nvidia.
AMD vs Nvidia is a topic already done to death.... so not commenting here.

Last edited:
The 4090 feels like a cheat code I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a GPU and blown away by its sheer brute force.

It sounds a lot of cash when you don't own one, when you do... it makes total sense.

Maybe I'm purchase justifying though :D
It's all relative, if need to sell an organ to buy one you probably shouldn't. If you are well paid and get the use out of it why not? I know people who spend more on a night out but they are much, much richer than I am :cry:

P

Noticed that OCUK have pushed the prices up, just in time for the Black Friday, Cyber Monday sale, so they can (probably) put the prices back to where they've been (circa £1500 for the "base" models), and claim a big saving.

I recently was pressured into buying a 4090fe by @Jay85...

I got one now because of the looming AI gpu shortage and the fact that 50 series won't likely drop until 2025 with a potentially massive price hike again. I was initially torn between a 4080 and 7900 xtx but by the time I considered a liquid devil it really wasn't that much of a leap to the 4090. Yeah it's expensive but it's been a huge upgrade over my 3080ti

I recently was pressured into buying a 4090fe by @Jay85...

I got one now because of the looming AI gpu shortage and the fact that 50 series won't likely drop until 2025 with a potentially massive price hike again. I was initially torn between a 4080 and 7900 xtx but by the time I considered a liquid devil it really wasn't that much of a leap to the 4090. Yeah it's expensive but it's been a huge upgrade over my 3080ti

I had nothing to do with it at all :cry::p, im being framed!

Noticed that OCUK have pushed the prices up, just in time for the Black Friday, Cyber Monday sale, so they can (probably) put the prices back to where they've been (circa £1500 for the "base" models), and claim a big saving.

Pretty normal for most retailers, They slowly push the prices up months before the Black Friday sales, Then cut the prices back down to what they were and then announce "Look how good we are, Buy from us !" Black Friday is generally the biggest con going.

I worked in retail for a few years and saw the same thing every year, Around spring leading into summer we'd start putting the prices up slowly and by the time Black Friday came around we could have some big discounts when in reality they were just back at their original price.

Last edited:
Pretty normal for most retailers, They slowly push the prices up months before the Black Friday sales, Then cut the prices back down to what they were and then announce "Look how good we are, Buy from us !" Black Friday is generally the biggest con going.

I worked in retail for a few years and saw the same thing every year, Around spring leading into summer we'd start putting the prices up slowly and by the time Black Friday came around we could have some big discounts when in reality they were just back at their original price.
Sales these days are the wild west. I pay no attention to what they say. I monitor the price of an item and if it gets close to what I think it's worth it I buy. I never trust them to tell me it's a deal!

Sales these days are the wild west. I pay no attention to what they say. I monitor the price of an item and if it gets close to what I think it's worth it I buy. I never trust them to tell me it's a deal!

If I remember the name I'll link it but there's a browser addon for Chrome that lets you monitor the historical price of something on any given website, Really useful to call out shady business practices.

If I remember the name I'll link it but there's a browser addon for Chrome that lets you monitor the historical price of something on any given website, Really useful to call out shady business practices.

Sounds good so long as you’re happy for them to farm your browsing activities and emails.

… sorry, but I could help but make this comment after your mentioning of ‘shady business practices’ :p

Back
Top Bottom