• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4090 price going up?

Associate
OP
I'm interested to know why consumers are paying these prices rather than getting a next-gen console for more than half the price in some cases.

Some of us actually do content work on our PCs.
these prices all the same are rediculious!! was all for getting a 4090 a few months ago but now i am holding off till santy returns. i may even just get a 4080 Ti or a 4070 Ti Super. and save a grand.

Last edited:
Soldato
these prices all the same are rediculious!! was all for getting a 4090 a few months ago but now i am holding off till santy returns. i may even just get a 4080 Ti or a 4070 Ti Super. and save a grand.

What, you think Santy Claus is bringing you a 4090?

Yeh, I'm holding out for that too. :p

Soldato
If it's for work can't you write off the VAT and cost as an expense?

Man of Honour
As I’m shopping around for more Black Friday snacks, the price of the 4090 and graphics cards in general is more and more obviously absurd.

You can get a LG G3 TV for less than a 4090, which will make everything you throw at it (tv, films, games) look infinitely better if you have an older, non-OLED TV.

Pricey stuff!

Soldato
As I’m shopping around for more Black Friday snacks, the price of the 4090 and graphics cards in general is more and more obviously absurd.

You can get a LG G3 TV for less than a 4090, which will make everything you throw at it (tv, films, games) look infinitely better if you have an older, non-OLED TV.

Pricey stuff!

Crazy that the pricing has come to this.

And I think it's going to get worse before it (if ever) gets better.

Nvidia's greed knows no bounds, it seems.

Associate
OP
i wont be buying, i am currently buildng a £500 AM4 SFF PC. id rather get a 3080 for £300 secondhand to tide me over. Then my plan is to spash out on a monster 3.5k system. its a shame that in the specs of that monster system a 4090 is over 50% of the budget probably 53% now given the recent price hikes, MADNESS!

Last edited:
Associate
i wont be buying, i am currently buildng a £500 AM4 SFF PC. id rather get a 3080 for £300 secondhand to tide me over. Then my plan is to spash out on a monster 3.5k system. its a shame that in the specs of that monster system a 4090 is over 50% of the budget probably 53% now given the recent price hikes, MADNESS!
PC gaming on its death knell…. Wonder if we will all switch to laptops/ iMacs for productivity and PS5/Xbox for gaming in future years?

Last edited:
Soldato
Which case did you go for?

Associate
Just done some more digging. Pricing of sold cards on the Bay is nuts.
I could sell my 4090 and get a 3090 and have £1000 in my hand pretty much... bonkers

Soldato
The other benefits being consoles don't have ultrawide support so you lose some immersion there depending on the game. I've been ultrawide gaming since they first came out and can never game on 16:9 any more because it just doesn't feel right, like portions of my left and right peripheral vision are missing
I don't understand ultrawide, I have a 38" ultrawide at work and it can be detrimental to my comfort when looking to the side of it, I can't imagine anything wider.

Man of Honour
Purely depends on the size and curvature of the panel. On the QD-OLEDs the curve is 1800R at 34", which is nominal as when sat right in the middle, the curve means that your eye distance is the same from the middle of the panel as it is to the outer edges. A flat panel being that wide means your eye is having to refocus every time you look at the outer edges as the distance is greater. On a 38" the curve will be more intense which probably isn't ideal depending on how you sit at your desk. A flat 34" though doesn't really matter too much as it's not too big or too small for most desktop environments so the distance thing is less of an issue still really.

I wouldn't be using anything else other than an ultrawide having used them since before they first came out to market. Productivity is just better as it replaces two 2560x1440 displays that would otherwise be used in a productivity environment, whilst the gaming benefits are obvious.

Back
Top Bottom