• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k Upgrade

Soldato
I couldn’t wait any longer. Got what I thought was a good deal on a Ryzen plus mobo plus 16gb of ram.

I do not think the refresh will make much difference in pricing to current Ryzen processors, maybe 10 or 15 quid less.

Soldato
I couldn’t wait any longer. Got what I thought was a good deal on a Ryzen plus mobo plus 16gb of ram.

I do not think the refresh will make much difference in pricing to current Ryzen processors, maybe 10 or 15 quid less.

I'm in a similar boat. i7 [email protected], 16GB RAM currently. What does the jump to a new Ryzen CPU & MB bring, other than future proofing?
I do have a an nvme m2 drive so that would work quicker, but there is nothing I can see so far that would benefit from the Ryzen CPU

Soldato
I have currently a 3570k so for me it will be a larger jump in almost everything, i notice some games maxing out my 3570k which adds lower fps drops but it still copes ok.

Cod Warzone might be smoother now. We shall see in a few days.

Man of Honour
I'm in a similar boat. i7 [email protected], 16GB RAM currently. What does the jump to a new Ryzen CPU & MB bring, other than future proofing?
I do have a an nvme m2 drive so that would work quicker, but there is nothing I can see so far that would benefit from the Ryzen CPU

At least with my 1070 hah I just can't justify upgrading yet from my 4820K @ 4.6GHz w/ 16GB RAM despite being a 7 year old build!

Soldato
At least with my 1070 hah I just can't justify upgrading yet from my 4820K @ 4.6GHz w/ 16GB RAM despite being a 7 year old build!
Mines about the same, but bought 2nd hand so nearer 10 years!
Do have a 2080Ti though, so keeping it going fine

Hopefully PS5 bring proper next gen gaming

Permabanned
Mines about the same, but bought 2nd hand so nearer 10 years!
Do have a 2080Ti though, so keeping it going fine

Hopefully PS5 bring proper next gen gaming

For MP its largely still OK. I still use my 4770k, Put money in a 2080ti and 280hz monitor and i still get high fps like 250fps using 4k downsampling. Maybe soon there will be a MP game that really says 4th urgh but most still like it.

Overwatch is still an example of how to use it well, It produces a lot of heat on the cpu and gpu and it not once holds back the 2080ti at 4k. Infact it churns out about 260fps on low 4k.

Associate
I have currently a 3570k so for me it will be a larger jump in almost everything, i notice some games maxing out my 3570k which adds lower fps drops but it still copes ok.

Cod Warzone might be smoother now. We shall see in a few days.

I'm in the same boat with the 3570k. Think I'll hold off until Zen 3 has been out for a month, make sure there aren't any silly temps or issues with Linux, then make my long awaited switch. COD Warzone crashes after about 5 mins every time I tried to play it.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat with the 3570k. Think I'll hold off until Zen 3 has been out for a month, make sure there aren't any silly temps or issues with Linux, then make my long awaited switch. COD Warzone crashes after about 5 mins every time I tried to play it.

I got some crashes too, it was to do with priority set to high on device manager/details for warzone, set it to normal Priority and it worked 95% of the time. With the 3700x it makes no difference if it’s set to normal or high as it copes just fine.

I also had really bad fps on some games where the load was constantly 100% on all cores and it turned out to be a windows antivirus/malware doing checks when I played warzone, but again no problem with the 3700x as you can run a virus scan, play warzone while watching YouTube videos and browsing.

Associate
4770k here still get decent frames with my 1080ti at 3440x1440 in the games i play. That upgrade itch is there but I keep fighting it off, probably wont upgrade until zen 4/ddr5 comes out. Its crazy how much value these processors have given us, 7 years and still going strong.

Associate
4770k here still get decent frames with my 1080ti at 3440x1440 in the games i play. That upgrade itch is there but I keep fighting it off, probably wont upgrade until zen 4/ddr5 comes out. Its crazy how much value these processors have given us, 7 years and still going strong.

I'm the same. But I'm wondering about the job situation later in the year and thinking I might make the jump before that, just in case. Also, 4790k systems go for ridiculous prices on certain well known sites, I could potentially upgrade to a 3900x for a net cost of about 300 quid. It's so tempting, but this system runs so damn good..

Associate
I'd wait for Zen 4000 later this year. You've waited long enough that another 3-4 months won't make a difference and it will probably mean prices are a lot better too.

Associate
Tbh i just had to make a choice myself what i ended up going with was a good x570 board 32gb 4400mhz ram and a 3300x for the time being, the cpu is really quite capable and very competetive in games.

Then when zen 3 comes out all i have to do is a bios update pop one of those in and sell the 3300x (which was only £115 when i bought it) so gives me enough grunt to wait around and the wait should be over before november/december.

(Forgot to add once you tune the memory the infinity fabric and the chip it really does make a difference as well so if you look at gamers nexus you can get some pretty competive results compared to even the latest intel offerings)

Caporegime
I'd wait for Zen 4000 later this year. You've waited long enough that another 3-4 months won't make a difference and it will probably mean prices are a lot better too.

this in a nutshell. especially if you keeping your pc for a long while 3 -5 years. nothing worse than getting married and 2 months later seeing something better you could live with :p . if you on already decent stuff just wait a couple of months. we talking weeks now and its 15 -20 percent quicker than what you thinking of buying. over 3 -5 years that will make a difference.

Associate
this in a nutshell. especially if you keeping your pc for a long while 3 -5 years. nothing worse than getting married and 2 months later seeing something better you could live with :p . if you on already decent stuff just wait a couple of months. we talking weeks now and its 15 -20 percent quicker than what you thinking of buying. over 3 -5 years that will make a difference.
:D Lol! Brilliant analogy...!

Associate
I'm the same. But I'm wondering about the job situation later in the year and thinking I might make the jump before that, just in case. Also, 4790k systems go for ridiculous prices on certain well known sites, I could potentially upgrade to a 3900x for a net cost of about 300 quid. It's so tempting, but this system runs so damn good..

Exactly the same here. Had my system for over 7yrs and still going strong but I also noticed the 4790k systems or cpu/mb/ram bundles are going for decent amounts in various marketplaces.

Does make the idea of a switch to a Ryzen build for relatively small money reeeeaaalllly tempting but think I'll go for a GPU first when the 3XXX series drops then Ryzen 4 further down the road.

Associate
Exactly the same here. Had my system for over 7yrs and still going strong but I also noticed the 4790k systems or cpu/mb/ram bundles are going for decent amounts in various marketplaces.

Does make the idea of a switch to a Ryzen build for relatively small money reeeeaaalllly tempting but think I'll go for a GPU first when the 3XXX series drops then Ryzen 4 further down the road.

You are not helping me resist the temptation on this one Bob :D

;)

Back
Top Bottom