• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k Upgrade

Associate
this in a nutshell. especially if you keeping your pc for a long while 3 -5 years. nothing worse than getting married and 2 months later seeing something better you could live with :p . if you on already decent stuff just wait a couple of months. we talking weeks now and its 15 -20 percent quicker than what you thinking of buying. over 3 -5 years that will make a difference.

Lol, I do like that analogy myself. But the point does stand. Even me experiencing my worst upgrade itch would hold back right now. And if the need was so great for right now due to a card failing or suchlike, I'd score a second hand 1060 or 1070 and soldier on with that until the new cards come out. I reckon NVidia will bring something better in terms of RTX after the disappointment of the 20 series in that regard. I bought my 2080 for it's pure performance and not for RTX, probably because I know that early adopters often are disappointed. But the 30 series could be far better in that regard.

Either way, if you bought a card now and the 30 series appeared and actually smashed RTX out of the park compared to the 20 series, that'd be a bad buyer's remorse to have. Waiting on this occasion is well advised imho.

Associate
Getting really itchy trigger finger for a ryzen 3600 now... Even set an alert on HUKD as they still seem to pop up for £130 -140 from time to time.
Or only 44 posts until the El Dorado that is Members Market. Expecting 1080ti's to be going for £65 and a 3600x/mobo/16gb combo for £100 :D

Associate
OP
In the end I went with a 3600 teamed with a X570 Tomahawk and 32GB of 8Pack 3600mhz ram. So far so good, managed to get the 3600 @ 4.3ghz with 1.275v.

I figure this will do for a good year or two and then ill upgrade it to a 4000 series and hopefully get ~ £100 back on this CPU.

Back
Top Bottom