• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Man of Honour
I hope I'm wrong but it sounds more and more like AMD's solution is just a glorified variant of temporal upscaling which is good but can't compete with DLSS 2.x.

Associate
"We will not be adding specific support for this, as it is not compatible with our rendering techniques. However we have our own Temporal based reconstruction tech implemented that natively provides the same or better image quality benefits for all hardware."

So is he saying that even if it were compatible with their rendering techniques, they'd use their own method anyways as that's better across all hardware? Devs, eh?

Associate
In the FAQ released today for the new Metro Exodus upgrade, the developer put up an answer to a curious question

Will Metro Exodus be upgraded to support AMD's Super Resolution Feature?

tldr answer: No, AMD's Fidelity Super Resolution technique is incompatible with our game's rendering pipeline and from what we've seen Unreal Engine's existing TAA upscaler already offers the same image quality as Super Resolution.

https://www.metrothegame.com/en-us/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/

Sounds like I made the right decision to get rid of my 6800xt in favour of a 3090 for the DLSS features

Permabanned
AMD have done a good marketing job with RDNA2. They kept RT performance underwraps, a good example being delayed CP2077 performance, and talked a lot about supersampling, but I doubt it will be here in any decent form before RDNA3.

Associate
I enjoyed my first playthrough when it first came out and I've only done it once, so I'm definitely doing another playthrough with the enhanced version. The lighting change without having to use old fashioned lighting hacks is insane. Can't wait to see RT as a minimum game requirement in the near future just like pixel shaders once did as the lighting can make or break a games immersion.

Soldato
Am I missing something? Has some info about Super Resolution been released? Last time I checked even AMD didn't know what approach they were going to take.

Soldato
I hope I'm wrong but it sounds more and more like AMD's solution is just a glorified variant of temporal upscaling which is good but can't compete with DLSS 2.x.

A software solution is never,ever going to be able to match a tensor core hardware one, AMD owners hoping that it would, are just clutching at straws I'm afraid. In the same way that they hoped AMD's hybrid software/hardware Ray Tracing would be a match for the Nvidia's pure hardware solution.

I'm sure it will improve framerates, otherwise they needn't bother with it, but the improvement and IQ to go with it, will only be a second best to Nvidia.

Soldato
Considering that mostly non-RT capable hardware dominates the Steam hardware survey,and that most mainstream gamers can't even get a GTX1050TI or GTX1660 easily,I suspect the vast majority of games in the immediate future will have to run on non-RT hardware also.

Even most consoles in the wild can't do RT. The installed playerbase of non-RT capable hardware is way too big for devs to ignore. You might get the odd tech demo game which "needs" it,but I also expect AMD/Nvidia will be quietly helping out financially too.

Plus mainstream RT capable GPUs such as the RTX3060(and most likely the RX6600XT when its released) still buckle under RT loads. I would say maybe the RTX4000/RX7000 series might improve RT performance sufficient enough for things to get interesting,and hopefully we won't have this mad scalping of GPUs by then.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the FAQ released today for the new Metro Exodus upgrade, the developer put up an answer to a curious question

Will Metro Exodus be upgraded to support AMD's Super Resolution Feature?

tldr answer: No, AMD's Fidelity Super Resolution technique is incompatible with our game's rendering pipeline and from what we've seen Unreal Engine's existing TAA upscaler already offers the same image quality as Super Resolution.

https://www.metrothegame.com/en-us/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/

Since AMD are working on multiple versions of super resolution and havent finalised which approach - the dev is talking ********.

What FSR will leverage is DirectML - so the dev is saying the game wont function outside of Nvidia hardware at all, and not on consoles since it will be using proprietary tech, paid for by nvidia.

Soldato
A load of nonsense most likely. Whatever solution AMD uses won't be "software only" as it will be made to run on their own GPUs,and will leverage specific aspects of RDNA2. Even if AMD advertises it as "GPU agnostic" wait and see how its their latest GPUs which run it the best(as there will be certain hardware features which AMD will target for the best performance).

Even if DLSS is "better" I suspect its still going to be better than a generalised upscaling done in a game engine,which needs to run on multiple generations of older GPUs(which is why it is there,for older GPUs),and which this dev is implying is not the case.

Also,a dev sponsored historically by Nvidia,saying a competitors tech is rubbish - who would have thought? IIRC,even Metro 2033 was sponsored by Nvidia.

It makes me wonder why people on an enthusiast forum after so many decades, can't fathom devs will big up their sponsors,because these are marketing arrangements. Then the same devs,get sponsored by the competition and then big up the tech they belittled the previous years. You saw that with Blizzard - for years their games did much better on Nvidia,but the moment AMD started throwing "assistance" their way,the latest WoW expansion seems to make even RT run OK on AMD GPUs.

Do people honestly think AMD and Nvidia doing all this "assistance" is for the good of gamers,etc?? It's about selling their GPUs,and making sure you don't get the competitors products.

"We will not be adding specific support for this, as it is not compatible with our rendering techniques. However we have our own Temporal based reconstruction tech implemented that natively provides the same or better image quality benefits for all hardware."

So is he saying that even if it were compatible with their rendering techniques, they'd use their own method anyways as that's better across all hardware? Devs, eh?

IIRC,even Metro 2033 was sponsored by Nvidia. The dev like with Epic games has a long history with Nvidia. Why would they really care about bothering too much with AMD,unless AMD comes up with the "assistance" to do so? The second AMD throws more "assistance" their way than Nvidia,see how the narrative will change! :D

Last edited:
Soldato

That statement quite carefully stays away from any talk of performance hits from their own software technique verses any hardware solution from AMD. Any software solution can reproduce any hardware solution for image quality improvement, if you're willing to wait long enough for frames to render.

Caporegime
A load of nonsense most likely. Whatever solution AMD uses won't be "software only" as it will be made to run on their own GPUs,and will leverage specific aspects of RDNA2. Even if AMD advertises it as "GPU agnostic" wait and see how its their latest GPUs which run it the best(as there will be certain hardware features which AMD will target for the best performance).

Even if DLSS is "better" I suspect its still going to be better than a generalised upscaling done in a game engine,which needs to run on multiple generations of older GPUs(which is why it is there,for older GPUs),and which this dev is implying is not the case.

Also,a dev sponsored historically by Nvidia,saying a competitors tech is rubbish - who would have thought? IIRC,even Metro 2033 was sponsored by Nvidia.

It makes me wonder why people on an enthusiast forum after so many decades, can't fathom devs will big up their sponsors,because these are marketing arrangements. Then the same devs,get sponsored by the competition and then big up the tech they belittled the previous years. You saw that with Blizzard - for years their games did much better on Nvidia,but the moment AMD started throwing "assistance" their way,the latest WoW expansion seems to make even RT run OK on AMD GPUs.

Do people honestly think AMD and Nvidia doing all this "assistance" is for the good of gamers,etc?? It's about selling their GPUs,and making sure you don't get the competitors products.

IIRC,even Metro 2033 was sponsored by Nvidia. The dev like with Epic games has a long history with Nvidia. Why would they really care about bothering too much with AMD,unless AMD comes up with the "assistance" to do so? The second AMD throws more "assistance" their way than Nvidia,see how the narrative will change! :D

He's right, proprietary features to keep you upgrading your hardware and of course keep you locked into that vendor's Eco System.

The sad and frustrating part of that is when the other vendor uses an agnostic approach that purely by happenstance design makes these features available to more people with a broader range of hardware the green zealots do nothing but find fault because its a religion to them.

How do you know? You haven't seen it yet. Even if that were true so what? It doesn't need a chunk of proprietary hardware for it to work which in my eyes makes it better than DLSS.

NVIDIA OWNER FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom