4G Router Recommendations...

Soldato
No, but it has the pole mount bracket. And the SXT is VERY directional. It has a handy signal strength meter on the back. Just leave it 30-60 seconds in any orientation to let it work out the signal strength. You can also see RSSI live on a graph in Winbox which lets you orient it fir the best signal strength.

Take your time with the mounting. It’s worth it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No, but it has the pole mount bracket. And the SXT is VERY directional. It has a handy signal strength meter on the back. Just leave it 30-60 seconds in any orientation to let it work out the signal strength. You can also see RSSI live on a graph in Winbox which lets you orient it fir the best signal strength.

Take your time with the mounting. It’s worth it.

That is handy to know - I seen the vid of a guy using it plugged into a laptop walking around - the sig bars on the back are just as accurate as the software?

Oh and before I forget, regarding apps on the phones etc. is there any good method to pinpoint a rough area to concentrate on as I cannot tell which direction the mast is. My regular phone is on another provider (locked) and the sim for the router seems to get better signal in the opposite direction nearly?

Soldato
It depends what mode you use. It’s a full RouterOS L4 device so it will do any routing you could possibly want including DHCP, SI Firewall, VPN etc. etc.

So, if you’re happy to use it as a router then just plug it into the PoE switch and it will take control as DHCP server etc. 192.168.88.1 is you go-to IP address, or download Webfig and take a couple of months to work your way through the menu options :)

I use them like this with Unifi access points and it’s fast and efficient.

Caporegime
Just bear in mind that the SXT you purchased only has 100Mbps ethernet ports, so that will be the fastest you can go.

Soldato
I think what @Caged meant was if you use the SXT as your main router, all traffic would be limited to 100Mbps. Which could be an issue if you’re doing something inside your network that needs/improves with gigabit Ethernet.

That said, most people never get anywhere near stretching 100Mbps.

Soldato
And one tip. Write down the 4G service provider network connection settings from the MR6400 because you know they work! They might not be the latest or the best, but you know they work. And the ones I’ve been supplied with or found on the interwebz are often total junk.

Soldato
Thanks man.

I think what @Caged meant was if you use the SXT as your main router, all traffic would be limited to 100Mbps. Which could be an issue if you’re doing something inside your network that needs/improves with gigabit Ethernet.

That said, most people never get anywhere near stretching 100Mbps.

I was never too fussed about needing gigabit speeds since it was a thing. When you grew up on dial-up in the 90s at 3kbps you appreciate most things!

Seems a boo-boo that then on manufacturers end, if the device can do say 150 or 300 down, it doesnt matter as the choke point is data leaving the ethernet port @ 100? lol

Soldato
The product started off as a CAT3 modem. Then, the same device got a CAT4 modem and now a CAT6 modem. They just use the same core device with a Mini-PCIe slot and you can even upgrade the CAT6 card yourself if you have an older CAT3 or CAT4 modem card model.

wAP is a newer form factor, and LHG is newer again. Some LHG and most wAP models have gigabit ports. But on the LHG 60GHz Wireless Wire devices they are theoretically capable of passing data over 2km at 2Gbps. But they only have a 1Gbps network port at each end....

And as CAT6 and CAT12 is about joining data channels together it’s quite possible that even with a CAT12 modem you wouldn’t exceed 100Mbps download, just because you are combining 4 x 20Mbps signals.

And even then Mikrotik are at it again with the new CAT18 Chateau they are launching with Latvia Telekom which has a theoretical maximum 4G speed of 1200Mbps and you’ve guessed it, it has 1Gbps network ports. I’m guessing they’ve tested it and never saw 1200Mbps...

Anyway - in Quickset, you can choose to have the SXT in bridge mode and it will just be a modem and pass data to your existing router if you like.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, I got up the ladder and found the rough testing spot. There are two graphs on the one on the bottom seems to be more complete RSSI or something. Anyway I had to stop as the wife got our youngest to sleep whos 1 and didnt want me drilling. :(

So top graph is -90dB (about 50% full), and the bottom one is -50dB about 4/5ths full. The unit on back gets 3 bars out of the 5, cant seem to get 4 bars.

Back
Top Bottom