4K 40" Reccomendations?

Soldato
Hi all,

Want to give 4K another go. Tried 4K ages ago but on a 28" screen had to use scaling which I think rendered in pointless. Seeing some people here have opted for a 40" 4K I am thinking about doing the same.

There are threads here, but was wondering what peoples latest recommendations are?

Thanks

Soldato
What is your budget? At that size, you have a few TV's to choose from, or there's these;

Dell Ultrasharp P4317Q 43"
LG 43UD790-B 43"
Philips BDM4037UW 40"
Philips BDM4350UC 43"
Acer ET430KWMIIPPX 43"

Depending on your use case, keep in mind all will be limited to 60Hz, so if you're a serious gamer that may be an issue. Also, pushing that many pixels in AAA titles is VERY demanding, even with a 1080Ti. If gaming is a priority, I would look more closely at a 1440p ultrawide such as the Acer X34A or AOC AGON AG352UCG.

For professional use, if colour accuracy is a concern, you will want an IPS panel over VA.

Soldato
Go for a 40-49" HDTV as:

Way cheaper than PC specific monitor with HDR comes with WCG + HDR as std.

Its still a little early to get a decent PC monitor with HDR that will in the near future be a big deal visually.

Or wait until January 2018 when new PC models with HDR are due to be announced (no-one knows how long to then hit the shops though its usually a few months after). There is no such thing as a perfect panel they all have pros & cons even OLED panels are not flawless by a long way. Do a lot of balanced research before buying something. Some PC gamers insist on it must have XYZ tech & moan about HDTV's which do not do more than 60Hz @ 4K but the tech is simply not there yet so for pro gamers or CG professionals you have to buy a proper PC monitor (around £3K for a decent colour accurate 4K model).
I bought one of these a few weeks ago it produces the most amazing picture to me for gaming, web use & watching movies on 4K UHD it makes movies look incredible especially 4k UHD :eek:& I sit about 18" away from it ;) also does 120 Hz @ 1920x1080 but its a 4K screen so does 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz or 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz. Some people tried to tell me the text was poor or for PC gaming as it uses RGBW technology so must be no good as some pixels are shared :rolleyes: but so far its been flawless & produces the most incredible image on everything as well as being super slim (6cm!!), super bright & affordable (you can get for around £600 in sales going on right now John Lewis is best place to buy any HDTV from as they price match themselves & also give you back the difference if they sell for cheaper within 28 days). It cost me only £150 as I sold my old Phillips 4K monitor :) only downside was I had to but an Active Display Port to HDMI cable convertor to get the full 0-255 colour range in Windows due to poor drivers from Nvidia do not report the correct colour level.
http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49SJ800V

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. Really I’m looking at a tv as there cheaper and I think 60hz is good enough for me. I’ve read about needing a tv that can have processing turned off, and 4;4;4? How can I find out the most recent tv for this? (Places don’t seem to state this)

The LG you mention, are there any others similar (you mention rgbw being an issue?)

Thanks

Associate
Samsung UE40MU6400, on offer for £399 or the UE49MU6400 for around £489

Avoid LG like the plague if it is an RGBW set, since finding out about it, I have seen it in the flesh and they are terrible as pc monitors close up.

Have a look as this thread, will tell you everything you need to know, the 40KU6400 is the previous model that the MU series replaced.

Soldato
Unless you have money to burn, or simply must have IPS for professionally colour accurate work, there is no reason to spend more then £400 or so on a TV (most of which have VA panels). It will do everything you require. As already stated though, stay away from any LG RGBW set, which shouldn't even be called 4K as technically they aren't. It's scandalous they're even allowed to sell them as such to be honest.

Associate
Go for a 40-49" HDTV as:

Way cheaper than PC specific monitor with HDR comes with WCG + HDR as std.

Its still a little early to get a decent PC monitor with HDR that will in the near future be a big deal visually.

Or wait until January 2018 when new PC models with HDR are due to be announced (no-one knows how long to then hit the shops though its usually a few months after). There is no such thing as a perfect panel they all have pros & cons even OLED panels are not flawless by a long way. Do a lot of balanced research before buying something. Some PC gamers insist on it must have XYZ tech & moan about HDTV's which do not do more than 60Hz @ 4K but the tech is simply not there yet so for pro gamers or CG professionals you have to buy a proper PC monitor (around £3K for a decent colour accurate 4K model).
I bought one of these a few weeks ago it produces the most amazing picture to me for gaming, web use & watching movies on 4K UHD it makes movies look incredible especially 4k UHD :eek:& I sit about 18" away from it ;) also does 120 Hz @ 1920x1080 but its a 4K screen so does 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz or 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz. Some people tried to tell me the text was poor or for PC gaming as it uses RGBW technology so must be no good as some pixels are shared :rolleyes: but so far its been flawless & produces the most incredible image on everything as well as being super slim (6cm!!), super bright & affordable (you can get for around £600 in sales going on right now John Lewis is best place to buy any HDTV from as they price match themselves & also give you back the difference if they sell for cheaper within 28 days). It cost me only £150 as I sold my old Phillips 4K monitor :) only downside was I had to but an Active Display Port to HDMI cable convertor to get the full 0-255 colour range in Windows due to poor drivers from Nvidia do not report the correct colour level.
http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49SJ800V

Is there a 40-42” 4k HDR, 10bit that has all the above? Especially the switching between 4k 60hz and 1920x1080 @120hz? And how does the hz switch work exactly?

I think 49” would be way too big despite having a desk case, but im only 2-3ft away!

Thanks

Associate
I could not find a screen in that size with a true 10-bit panel, 49 looks like the smallest for that and it will be a fair bit more than the mu6400 series.

Like you, I think 49 inch is too big to sit 2ft from lol

Soldato
Is there a 40-42” 4k HDR, 10bit that has all the above? Do not know of any. HDTVs as PC monitors are compromises there is no such thing as a perfect panel even OLED have a lot of issues. A decent HDTV will set you back less than £600...a decent top end HDR PC specific monitor will set you back about £3K! LOL Especially the switching between 4k 60hz and 1920x1080 @120hz? And how does the hz switch work exactly? Like it does on a monitor you change the resolution & the HDTV auto detects the highest Hz. On my set that's 120 Hz.

I think 49” would be way too big despite having a desk case, but im only 2-3ft away!

Thanks
Size matters ;) to me it does not seem big enough wish I had the 55" model but only just enough room for the 49"!!

Soldato
Samsung UE40MU6400, on offer for £399 or the UE49MU6400 for around £489

Avoid LG like the plague if it is an RGBW set, since finding out about it, I have seen it in the flesh and they are terrible as pc monitors close up.

Have a look as this thread, will tell you everything you need to know, the 40KU6400 is the previous model that the MU series replaced.
Sorry but this is pure internet misinformation :rolleyes: the LG Super Nano RGBW HDTVs are flawless for PC. Do not believe all the misinformation out there & you also need to adjust the PQ to match a PC (disable most of the processing which is ONLY designed for fast moving sports programmes like Football. That is why the text is blurred due to the filters applied which is where the RGBW misinformation spreads from!! once disabled it looks razor sharp on all content!). The LG Super Nano have about 8 different PQ modes you can adjust every little parameter until you produce an image your happy with!
dp75tv.jpg

6rizqa.jpg

Associate
no offense AWPC but you are talking rubbish and advising people that LG RGBW are great for desktop use when they are not.

In another thread here you posted a picture of blue with white text illustrating how good the LG is, and someone made comment about the fact that those colours you showed in your pic do not show the problem and that red/blue combination is where you can see the problem(and other colour combinations not including white). It's highly likely you checked this afterwards for yourself, because you don't talk about it after that.

I posted in the same thread and did not know about RGBW stuff, then spent time afterwards in a couple of shops checking the LG sets out and its pretty obvious when you sit close as you do when at a desk to use a pc. Having said that I found no problem with the Lg sets when sat at 'lounge' viewing distance and the picture looked fine.

The real problem is having it close up. the RGBW structure makes it look worse in certain circumstances and no settings or features on the tv are going to hide or fix that, it's the panel structure.

Soldato
no offense AWPC but you are talking rubbish and advising people that LG RGBW are great for desktop use when they are not.

In another thread here you posted a picture of blue with white text illustrating how good the LG is, and someone made comment about the fact that those colours you showed in your pic do not show the problem and that red/blue combination is where you can see the problem(and other colour combinations not including white). It's highly likely you checked this afterwards for yourself, because you don't talk about it after that.

I posted in the same thread and did not know about RGBW stuff, then spent time afterwards in a couple of shops checking the LG sets out and its pretty obvious when you sit close as you do when at a desk to use a pc. Having said that I found no problem with the Lg sets when sat at 'lounge' viewing distance and the picture looked fine.

The real problem is having it close up. the RGBW structure makes it look worse in certain circumstances and no settings or features on the tv are going to hide or fix that, it's the panel structure.
No offence taken but your so wrong on every level :rolleyes: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31444614

Permabanned
With my respect to Korean people, it is a simple fact that the Japanese are the better technology nation.
Between Korean and Japanese TV or monitor, always choose the Japanese.. :D

Associate
No offence taken but your so wrong on every level :rolleyes: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31444614

I looked at similar sets in the shop,a Samsung, Sony and an LG all around similar money levels and found the lg text clarity to be worse, could be my old eyes or even a faulty unit which I doubt but it didn't look as clean as your pics do although I do see a bit of white dotting around text edges here and there

Permabanned
I looked at similar sets in the shop,a Samsung, Sony and an LG all around similar money levels and found the lg text clarity to be worse, could be my old eyes or even a faulty unit which I doubt but it didn't look as clean as your pics do although I do see a bit of white dotting around text edges here and there

Sony, Panasonic, NEC are excellent.
Samsung maybe a little more okeyish than LG but still inferior than the Japanese brands.

Toshiba and Sharp should also be mentioned and considered.

Associate
Text clarity in a shop should be ignored. You can only get 4K 4:4:4 out of HDMI upto around 7.5m. Most stores are likely running unamplified signals on far longer cables and therefore not displaying 4:4:4.

Soldato
Store mode is never ever a reason to base a HDTV buy on that is uninformed & unscientific. The store sets not just LG but nearly all brands are boosted for watching live sports (Football usually) with a super bright washed out image. These LG Super Nano sets are fantastic but like most HDTV's you have to tweak the post processing to get the best out of them. As for white dotting well the pics are taken from a few inches away with a 12 year old Sony camera :rolleyes: if you have acute eyesight which can notice this in day to day use then you must have Hubble or Xray Xmen level eyesight :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am done for now to anyone else interested in these LG RGBW Super Nano HDTV's I can confirm for PC gaming, PC productivity tasks (MS Office, day to day web browsing etc etc) 4K UHD, BD & DVD playback they are flawless. The built in 4K Netflix with Dolby Vision is also great they are a terrific all round display which just so happens to excel with a decent PC connected to it. I am not saying other brands are not great either just that value for money an LG Super Nano is a way better purchase than an OLED costing £1k+ more as all HDTV's have minor issues none are perfect. The price difference will allow you to buy the actual hardware needed to power 4K smoothly which is immense!
If you could in a blind test notice the difference between an LG OLED & Super Nano I would be amazed ;) Jan 2018 is when the new HDR PC monitors are revealed (they will all cost a premium over HDTVs for the same screen size). Until those prices are normalised in 2-3 years look at a decent HDTV as an alternative. LG are one the largest manufacturers & even supply Samsung and a few other big names with their flat panels ;)

Back
Top Bottom