*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
(maybe not intentional) but postponing first time viewing for 4K disc at home, is interesting strategy.
[was a bit reverential to Sunshine/Shining ;)]

zoom have convenant/prometheus at £25
still no 4k rental companies, just cinemaparadiso that have a few.

The way I look at it, is that currently in central london its going to cost me £15 - 20 just to get into the cinema, without a drink etc etc
When majority of 4k discs cost £20 (sometimes a little more admittedly), and I dont have a kid talking through the movie or kicking my seat, and I can watch the film again (for free) whenever I want - it becomes very easy to choose

For huge event films like Star Wars and a few others I will go out and see on a massive screen and put up with the above, and probably buy the disc as well - but otherwise Im happy to wait a few months to get the BR or 4k BR

Dont get me wrong if I could go off peak and I didnt have to worry so much about £££, then I would choose the large screen every time, and respect those who choose / still prefer to go out for the latest blockbuster

Soldato
Be interested to see if Covenant is from a proper 4K DI. Doubt Prometheus will be and, as I already have the 4-disc Bluray edition...

Soldato
Seen a side by side. Xbox s is great, but miles away from dedicated ub700..which I have.

Colours, sharpness everything just seems better. Load times and usability was faster all round too.
If I had an xbox s or wanted one for games, I wouldn't get a dedicated one. But I don't want another games machine so it was a no brainer for me.

Soldato
Seen a side by side. Xbox s is great, but miles away from dedicated ub700..which I have.

Colours, sharpness everything just seems better. Load times and usability was faster all round too.
If I had an xbox s or wanted one for games, I wouldn't get a dedicated one. But I don't want another games machine so it was a no brainer for me.
Im intrigued too, its a digital media all passed digitally to the tv. Colour and sharpness shouldnt change, that sounds like something is set wrong. Anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong. Was one using super duper monster gold plated cables:p.

Soldato
Im intrigued too, its a digital media all passed digitally to the tv. Colour and sharpness shouldnt change, that sounds like something is set wrong. Anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong. Was one using super duper monster gold plated cables:p.
but also using a software player which could introduce anything at all

The other issue is also quality of the componants - a games machine is designed to do lots of things reasonably well, vs a dedicated player is designed to do one thing very well.

Therefore the games machine is likely to have cheaper componants inside for the same rrp and that will be reflected on what gets put on the screen

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to get a xbox S, then I decided to wait for scorpio for the UHD player and games machine in one solution.

I have the standard Xbox currently, I have now decided I will just keep the Xbox one and get a standalone 4k player. I currently only use my Xbox for bluray playback.

Looking at getting the Sony X800, just would like to see it drop to around £300 before I go for it, I also want to see if it does get any update for Dolby Vision as having an Oled with DV it seems wise to get a player that will support it as well.

Personally would prefer a standalone player just for the faster boot/load times and quieter playback, never been happy with noise levels from games consoles.

Associate

but how's the digital signal different?
faster loading time, fair enough though.

Associate
I was going to get a xbox S, then I decided to wait for scorpio for the UHD player and games machine in one solution.

I have the standard Xbox currently, I have now decided I will just keep the Xbox one and get a standalone 4k player. I currently only use my Xbox for bluray playback.

Looking at getting the Sony X800, just would like to see it drop to around £300 before I go for it, I also want to see if it does get any update for Dolby Vision as having an Oled with DV it seems wise to get a player that will support it as well.

Personally would prefer a standalone player just for the faster boot/load times and quieter playback, never been happy with noise levels from games consoles.

personally i would go with the Scorpio , i bought a EP35 (HDDVD ) and look how that turned out :(

Soldato
but how's the digital signal different?
faster loading time, fair enough though.

Components will be much better. Its like comparing a Cevo 4k TV costing £299 against a Samsung 4k TV costing £999. As you say how's the digital signal different ? You wouldnt buy the Cevo if you could afford the Samsung would you. Better components. Better audio support. Better upscaling. Better handling of HDR. etc etc.

I won a PS4 once and all I did with it was watch blurays. Sold it, bought a Sony bluray player. Same company, dedicated player was miles ahead of the PS4 in sound and picture quality. PS4 wouldn't even play nicely with my Amp. Some people dont want a console.

Soldato
Soldato
It may all be digital but that doesn't mean the data on the disc is simply read and thrown down the HDMI cable to the TV. A lot of processing takes place both in the player and then in the TV to convert the data stored on the disc into a viewable image.

Back
Top Bottom