*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Aren't most people watching the 4k stuff currently on netflix that's part of the subscription, versus specific, more expensive movie purchases on Apple too ?
so there are 3 categories of purchase.

Maybe disatisfaction with streamed quality will grow when/if more people have bigger screens too ie 65"+, and ,they start doing vfx at 4k on a majority of movies,
perhaps they will increase the streamed bitrate in response, otherwise people may turn to disc.
(ie they will start delivering 4K streamed which has the PQ of 4K not the equivalent of a 1080p/blu-ray disc at home, which most reviews say netflix delivers)

Soldato
Back in 1998 you didn't have more convenient, cheaper VOD services available. Things would have been very different if you did.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news...a-hd-blu-ray-is-dead-before-it-really-started

even when there is a disc version coming, the digital is now given priority. Most big releases are available to buy or rent online sometimes weeks before the BD copy. A quick scan of Sky Store on Sky Q shows multiple releases we can watch now in 4K that are only available for pre-order on Amazon.

You only need to look at prices to also realise that 4K Blu-rays are not selling in significant numbers. New, premium releases still carry a hefty mark-up that is the same or similar to their cost at launch two years ago. Venom, for example, is £25 for the 4K edition, £15 on conventional Blu-ray.

Yes, it comes with Dolby Vision, but so too does a 4K HDR digital copy of the film that costs £14 on iTunes. Many at that price also come with Dolby Atmos surround sound, aping their physical counterparts.

There's no evidence to suggest DVD is more of a threat to UHD than streaming services. That later is just too convenient and better VFM and that for a lot of people is what matters. Even 'hardcore' enthusiasts find themselves streaming more and buying less physical media despite physical media being the benchmark in picture and sound quality..and who'd blame them?

Soldato
Its cost and understanding. £25 for a 4k disc, £8-£15 for the bluray less for the DVD. Joe Public dont understand 4k discs so they need to know why they are paying £25 for a disc when the same one on bluray cost £15 less. (I know there are cheaper ways over the sea but Joe Public wont know that)

Take my brother in law for example. He had a decent Panasonic HD TV but wants a 4k TV. Mainly for the newer apps on the TV as well as 4k. He will be getting a Panasonic probably because this is what he knows. I suggested an OLED but he said "whats that". He also wants a NAS for his iTunes and videos and recording TV. He is also under the impression he can watch 4k via the NAS. How legitimately I`m not sure but this is where the understanding of 4k falls down. I said why dont you get a 4k player Sainsburys are selling a LG one for £79 at the moment. He didnt like this idea as he's seen the films at £25.

Personally I still buy discs but am very choosy what I buy usually its something I may watch more than once and want the best possibly PQ, eg Avengers Infinity War/Endgame, John Wick 3, and the Spiderman Far From Home when its realised. I wouldnt settle for 4k streaming for these as I know I'd never be watching it at its best.

Soldato
It depends what you class as seeing it at its best, what's the rest of your equipment? For me I'd much rather watch a film at 1080p on my projector than 4k on my tv

Soldato
Netflix 4k is ok but nowhere near the quality of a proper 4k movie, why do they insist of putting a bluray version of the movie in the pack when you buy a 4k movie, it just adds to the cost when not needed.

Soldato
OP
Netflix 4k is ok but nowhere near the quality of a proper 4k movie, why do they insist of putting a bluray version of the movie in the pack when you buy a 4k movie, it just adds to the cost when not needed.

It’s been done as most people ( especially early adaptors ) wouldn’t have had more than 1 4k player and 4K tv. So the blu ray could be used in other rooms.

Soldato
will probable need a vpn ... but will this have any PQ benefits over a disk ?
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1570086603
"Bolstering its position as the leading U.S. digital network for all things movies, FandangoNOW meets IMAX Enhanced’s high standard for 4K HDR streaming and uses a special variant of the DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience with more immersive, powerful sound," the company said

IMAX Enhanced is not a new format like Dolby Vision but rather a marketing label used to indicate that the content has been mastered in accordance to a set of requirements such as a larger aspect ratio and digital noise reduction as well as DTS:X audio. IMAX Enhanced content is also in 4K resolution and HDR.

It would appear that Spider-Man: Homecoming is also available in IMAX Enhanced, and searching for 'IMAX Enhanced' on FandangoNow lists a total of 15 titles, including Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Alpha, and Life. However, it is unclear if these are available as enhanced versions at this time.

if it is mastered with a different transfer function pictures may look different, although I can't see that limited streaming bandwidth would offset any benefits of that , or a different noise reduction system; maybe their streaming bandwith is >>15Mb/s netflix 4k

Soldato
I have a 4k OLED and constantly wowed by its performance. This led me to thinking of the best solution to show it's 4k-ness and OLED-ness to its best potential. I *think* this would mean a dedicated 4k blu ray.
This in mind and if valid, is the Panasonic DP-UB450EB @ circa £165 a good option?

Soldato
I have a 4k OLED and constantly wowed by its performance. This led me to thinking of the best solution to show it's 4k-ness and OLED-ness to its best potential. I *think* this would mean a dedicated 4k blu ray.
This in mind and if valid, is the Panasonic DP-UB450EB @ circa £165 a good option?

Xbox One S/X can do 4k Bluray playback, plus it's a games console :D

Soldato

Yes its a good option but see if it gets cheaper by the weekend.

Soldato

Yeah its a good option and it's what i am currently using with my GZ950 OLED and its been flawless.

Soldato
IYO is the PQ via the standalone player much better than the 4k streaming offerings? , I have BT sport & tbh feel the 4k is a bit underwhelming

4k Blu ray picture quality is so much better, netflix is alright on some programs but most of it along with sky, BT 4k is compressed into submission and the picture is barely any better than 1080, infact a standard blu ray looks far better than a 4k movie on sky for example.

Panasonic UB820 would be my choice if it drops for black Friday.

Back
Top Bottom