*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Ive had a Sammy 8500 for about a year and its a decent machine but Im getting quite a lot of disc noise now, so when I got my OLED recently I ordered an X700 (for dual HDMI mainly) and so far so good although Ive only had it for a matter of hours (is a little plasticky, and find the remote a little small for my large hands - but the performance is so far decent).

for the price - these are merely observations rather than real faults

I`m tempted for the X700 as I have the same Samsung. I just missed out on a couple for £85 which I`m a bit annoyed about (2nd hand). Is it a worthy replacement ? Just watched Predator 4k and I thought the Sammy was going to spew the disc out it was so LOUD until it got to the menu/film.

Also shout out for a couple of recent 4k gems, John Carpenters They Live (one of my all time fav films) in 4k is superb (apparently so is The Fog), also just got 2001 which I`m told is epic in 4k.

Soldato
I must have tried to watch 2001 a dozen times since I got into films (and esp sci fi films) growing up, and without fail I fall asleep within about 45 minutes - Im sure every review says its got detail they have never seen before on every new format (I remember them saying that when the BR got released and I got sucked into buying that as well - not going anywhere near the 4k disk hahaha)

I was getting such loud noises even during films on the Sammy and I was buying a new tv at the same time the extra for the x700 wasn't much at all , so definitely worth it for me. I haven't set up any apps yet though haven't yet decided whether I will keep the tv apps up to date or the ones on the Sony swings and roundabouts to both I guess.

Soldato
I must have tried to watch 2001 a dozen times since I got into films (and esp sci fi films) growing up, and without fail I fall asleep within about 45 minutes - Im sure every review says its got detail they have never seen before on every new format (I remember them saying that when the BR got released and I got sucked into buying that as well - not going anywhere near the 4k disk hahaha)

I was getting such loud noises even during films on the Sammy and I was buying a new tv at the same time the extra for the x700 wasn't much at all , so definitely worth it for me. I haven't set up any apps yet though haven't yet decided whether I will keep the tv apps up to date or the ones on the Sony swings and roundabouts to both I guess.
I watched it in UHD last week and it is incredible, for a film that was made in 1968, honestly it has a sharper image than any UHD film I've watched so far. Well worth watching in UHD.

Soldato
Any quick way to tell if a 4K disk is DV or just HDR without having to check online?

Just I have watched 2 movies now which had DV and I never switched on the DV on my Sony player.

Soldato
Are any other 4k players here a little annoyed with the fact that Nvidia, instead of making gpus much more powerful this time round with the 20 series making 4k gaming much more manageable at above 60FPS, they put all the power into RTX....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
Does your tv do DV ? Also you have to turn on DV each time to use it ? The Panasonic ub820 does it all automatically, and also has hdr optimizer.

If you have sacd then I suppose the Sony is a good choice.
That Panasonic costs about £300 at that price it maybe worth while waiting for reviews and prices of the new Sony X800M2 player

Soldato
what attracts me to the panasonic is the inbuilt dac (I use an existing 2.1 music system) also, the possibility to multi-zone the blu-ray player;
it (like the sony?) available reconn'd
I would want to audition both uis/mechanisms speed+noise
... I can't see many 4K discs I want, yet, though.

Back
Top Bottom