*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
I wonder if a PC UHD Blu Ray drive will be available soon? I guess it wont matter though if the protection doesn't get cracked or a company like Cyberlink do not release software that can handle it.

What do you guys think?

Soldato
I really really want one of those....but I feel as though ill end up getting the PS4K which will probably play 4K discs so it will be a waste.
Plus I really need one with Dolby Vision playback or ill have to buy a second one later lol.

Associate
Related question - Do A/V Receivers with HDMI 2.0 pass-through need to support 'HDR' as well?

No, it has to be 2.0a I think.

I was eyeing up the Panasonic player but with the issues and having a non HDR 4K TV I think I'll wait till June and buy it with a new set on 12 months buy now pay later.

Keeping an eye on that AVforums thread till then.

Soldato
Cant help wondering if this is really worth spending this amount on - is it any better than a current upscaling blu ray player? You guys that have bought one - chime in with your thoughts please, I need some feedback to make a decision as to whether to go for it or not.

Mark

Associate
:eek:

Looks like Movie company's are having a laugh with them prices as that around double the price of a DVD movie and and about £10 more then a Blu-Ray movie..
I would say most People will not pay them stupid prices.

From what I can tell most people still buy normal DVD's even now because there cheaper then Blu-ray disc's and there no way I can see people paying even more for a 4K disc..

The prices are more than satisfactory.

Same price as buying a 3D Blu and you get a copy of the Blu-ray with the UHD Disc so more than happy to buy the 4K version to future proof myself.

Man of Honour
Good news for Panasonic owners:

Just had this arrive from Panasonic UK. New Firmware which fixes the issues with dropouts.

"Following our investigations into reported issues with audio playback on the DMP-UB900 whilst playing 4K UHD Blu-ray discs, we can confirm a firmware update is now available to resolve this issue.

You will be able to select the firmware update from the settings in the Blu-ray player and for further information on this process you can visit our FAQs here.

Once again we would like to thank you for your patience as we looked into this matter and worked on a solution." - Panasonic UK

Soldato
So far no problems experienced and the picture on our HDR 4K TV is superb.

A better picture than a upscaling blu ray player would you say? Curious to know before I spend precious pennies. How do you find the sound capabilities on surround sound?

Mark

Associate
A better picture than a upscaling blu ray player would you say? Curious to know before I spend precious pennies. How do you find the sound capabilities on surround sound?

Mark

Well of course it's going to be better than upscaling Bluray, you don't get any more detail when you stretch ...I mean upscale an image where as you are literally getting 4 times the detail for real with this. That being said though some of the movies were shot in 2K so the difference in resolution won't be as noticeable on them but resolution isn't the only difference with 4K UHD content.

HDR and a wider colour range are also a big part of the UHD standard, if you have a HDR 4K TV then it will be very noticeable. One thing that a lot of people are mentioning with this Panasonic player though is that if you feed it a normal Bluray it does a very good job of upscaling it to 4K, better than most it seems.

As for sound that all depends on your amp and speakers but the other thing many are saying is this player is also very very good on the audio as well.

Associate
i got the panny yesterday having allot of problems with it, direct into my 4k tx65ax800e tv no picture just black screen, via my amp i get a picture ok yamaha avr rx 673 amp but with speckles all over it and flashing pixels, it plays a 1080p disc ok soon as i play uhd no picture, so i bought a new amp which i get today and will try it. rang panasonic and got how you factory reset it , power off hold the 2 right side coloured buttons down press right then hold ok but does not help.

cannot understand why direct i get black screen but via my av amp it semi works

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i got the panny yesterday having allot of problems with it, direct into my 4k tx65ax800e tv no picture just black screen, via my amp i get a picture ok yamaha avr rx 673 amp but with speckles all over it and flashing pixels, it plays a 1080p disc ok soon as i play uhd no picture, so i bought a new amp which i get today and will try it. rang panasonic and got how you factory reset it , power off hold the 2 right side coloured buttons down press right then hold ok but does not help.

I wonder if your old amp HDMI has enough bandwidth to support UHD Blu-ray hence the speckles, etc. I'm no expert but have you set the HDMI port receiving the signal on your TV to accept 4K input?

Soldato
OP

Are you using the supplied hdmi cable ?

Soldato
Well of course it's going to be better than upscaling Bluray, you don't get any more detail when you stretch ...I mean upscale an image where as you are literally getting 4 times the detail for real with this. That being said though some of the movies were shot in 2K so the difference in resolution won't be as noticeable on them but resolution isn't the only difference with 4K UHD content.

HDR and a wider colour range are also a big part of the UHD standard, if you have a HDR 4K TV then it will be very noticeable. One thing that a lot of people are mentioning with this Panasonic player though is that if you feed it a normal Bluray it does a very good job of upscaling it to 4K, better than most it seems.

As for sound that all depends on your amp and speakers but the other thing many are saying is this player is also very very good on the audio as well.

Thanks for the input - just wanted some confirmation really - seems the reviews of it are very good. Think I will order one then.

Thanks

Man of Honour
I will say one thing about the player on a design standpoint . Its smaller than youd expect. So if you like stacking equipment on top of each other this will have to be at the top :)

Only thing wrong with the design is the shiny front cover. The could have made it match the rest of the body.

Man of Honour

Have you got it sorted?

Back
Top Bottom