*** 4K Player Thread ***

The advent of this format has raised an interesting issue for me.

You may have read in my thread in this forum that I'm in the (long) process of putting a projector based system together in a dedicated room which will have four Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling. Naturally I'll be looking to aquire films with either DTS:X or Atmos sountracks to get the best immersive sound experience which seem to be standard on the UHD 4k discs but are not on the regular Blu-ray discs if the up coming Deadpool release is anything to go by if it's going to be the same as the American release which came out a few weeks ago.

Native input 4k projectors are a rare breed right now so I'm going stick with my HD projector and wait a while for the projectors to catch up with the selection of TV's available right now.

So is the trend going to be that Atmos and DTS:X are not going on regular blu-rays to try to give us another reason to buy into 4k UHD discs? There are a few Blu-rays with Atmos already so it's obviously possible to do it, but I'm wondering if it will be deliberately witheld and I'll have to get a 4k UHD player in order to have the best soundtracks even though I'll not be using it with a 4k display.

No, I dont think so. Here is a list of titles with Dolby Atmos.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray: HD)

Age of Adaline (Blu-ray: HD)

American Sniper (Blu-ray: HD)

American Sniper (Streaming: VUDU)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Blu-ray: HD)

Capture the Flag (Blu-ray: HD)

Chappie (Blu-ray: UHD)

Concussion (Blu-ray: UHD)

Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death in Heaven 3D (Blu-ray: HD)

Edge of Tomorrow (Streaming: VUDU)

Enchanted Kingdom (Blu-ray: HD)

Ender's Game (Blu-ray: UHD)

Entourage (Streaming: VUDU)

Everest (Blu-ray: HD)

Game of Thrones S1 (Blu-ray: HD)

Game of Thrones S2 (Blu-ray: HD)

Game of Thrones S3 Steel Book (Blu-ray: HD)

Game of Thrones S4 Steel Book (Blu-ray: HD)

Game of Thrones Season 5 (Blu-ray: HD)

Goosebumps (Blu-ray: HD)

Gravity (Blu-ray: HD)

Hancock (Blu-ray: UHD)

In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray: HD; Streaming: VUDU)

In the Heart of the Sea (Streaming: VUDU)

Into the Storm (Streaming: VUDU)

John Wick (Blu-ray: HD)

Jupiter Ascending (Blu-ray: HD)

Jupiter Ascending (Streaming: VUDU)

Leon: The Professional (Blu-ray: HD)

Mad Max (Blu-ray: HD)

Mad Max (Blu-ray: UHD)

Mad Max (Streaming: VUDU)

Man of Steel (Blu-ray: UHD)

Man of Steel (Streaming: VUDU)

Minions (Blu-ray: HD)

Mission Impossible (Blu-ray: HD)

On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter (Blu-ray: HD)

Pacific Rim (Streaming: VUDU)

Pan (Blu-ray: HD)

Pan (Blu-ray: UHD)

Pan (Streaming: VUDU)

Pineapple Express (Blu-ray: HD)

Pixels (Blu-ray: HD)

Roger Waters The Wall (Blu-ray: HD)

Salt (Blu-ray: UHD)

San Andreas (Blu-ray: HD)

San Andreas (Blu-ray: UHD)

San Andreas (Streaming: VUDU)

Sherlock (Blu-ray: HD)

Sicario (Blu-ray: HD)

Sicario (Blu-ray: UHD)

Step up All In (Blu-ray: HD)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray: HD)

Terminator Genesis (Blu-ray: HD)

The 5th Wave (Blu-ray: UHD)

The Amazing Spiderman (Blu-ray: UHD)

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray: HD)

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray: UHD)

The Fifth Element (Blu-ray: HD)

The Gallows (Blu-ray: HD)

The Gallows (Streaming: VUDU)

The Gunman (Blu-ray: HD)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (Blu-ray: HD)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (Blu-ray: HD)

The Man from U.N.C.L.E (Blu-ray: HD)

The Man from U.N.C.L.E (Streaming: VUDU)

The Peanuts Movie (Blu-ray: UHD)

The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray: UHD)

Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray: HD)

Unbroken (Blu-ray: HD)

We Are Your Friends (Streaming: VUDU)

All normal blu rays and some streaming services. Not as much DTS: X stuff though, but the websites make it clear that normal blu-rays will be carrying the format. So no, it's not being deliberately withheld, theres just not enough 4K blu-ray users to make that economically worthwhile when compared to the cost of producing the audio. Need to make it a selling point for all format blu-ray buyers.

No, I dont think so. Here is a list of titles with Dolby Atmos.

<snip>

All normal blu rays and some streaming services. Not as much DTS: X stuff though, but the websites make it clear that normal blu-rays will be carrying the format. So no, it's not being deliberately withheld, theres just not enough 4K blu-ray users to make that economically worthwhile when compared to the cost of producing the audio. Need to make it a selling point for all format blu-ray buyers.

I hope so, I appreciate there are a reasonable selection of Atmos discs out already, I'm just puzzled that the Deadpool UHD disc is going to have a (apparently very good) Atmos soundtrack which is not going to be on the regular Blu-ray and hope this is not going to be setting the trend for future releases.

Yep getting one! 250 for the console plus the 4k uhd player is fantastic.

UGTOE2_H.jpg

at sub £250 that seems a very good deal indeed and if they do not do the same with the PS4 I can see those selling by the bucket load.

As a panny buyer i'm slightly miffed / happy at the same time that ms can put out a game console with 4k at that 250 price . Begs the question was Panasonic taking the **** on pricing ? Will be interesting to see if any compromises have been made to get that low price. Or are they prepared to take a short turn hit as they think 4k will go massive ?

The way I see it these hi-fi/AV companies love to overcharge on new tech. It probably helps that the Xbox has better economies of scale and all they are doing is bunging in a drive instead of having to design a whole system. Plus as you say they care less about hardware profit, and focus on software sales.

Back
Top Bottom