*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
This is exactly what I'm on about - too many reviews seem to be focusing on the obvious sound connectivity differences and assuming that the video side wil be identical as it has the same specs, save for the lack of THX certification. This is a dangerous assumption and one with which WhatHifi disagreed:

Fairly conclusive for me, unless the 700 they reviewed was broken in some way. Bear in mind that the 900 retails at 50% more than the 700 (MSRP before discounts etc) and I would expect more differences than a few missing sound outputs, lack of shiny feet and a THX logo for that price differential so it does sound totally plausible to me that the 900 has superior video circuitry too.

The 700 is still a stellar machine and I'd take one any day over the Samsung, about which I've read of far too many little issues, but I think the 900 is a slightly better player all round.

As expected the 900 is mostly fluff.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dmpub700-201612114390.htm

Soldato
Thought the Martian and Life of Pi were two of the best production quality for 4k's ? but it would be interesting to know which of 4k releases are candidate for I will watch this more than once a year would have said in blue rays only Leon / 2001 / GrandBleu fall in this category.

what is wrong with the xboxone (S) at that price point ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nothing, but it justifies people spending double on a dedicated player:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/xbox-one-s-review-uhd-blu-ray-hdr-and-verdict-page-3

It’s a far more affordable option than the two dedicated UHD Blu-ray players currently on the market. The Samsung UBD-K8500 costs £430 and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 costs £600. Sony has one on the way, which is nice because the PS4 Pro doesn't do 4K Blu-rays. As for the Xbox One S? The base 500GB model costs £250, while the 2TB model (reviewed here) costs £350.

It isn't simply a price thing either, since the performance is more than respectable for the money. The Xbox One S does a fine job handling 4K Blu-rays. Load times are fast and it produced decent pictures across all three of my test discs (Mad Max: Fury Road, X-Men: Days of Future Past and San Andreas).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138...ra-hd-blu-ray-and-hdr-examined-in-more-detail

On the Xbox One S you get the full Ultra HD and HDR experience. The visuals from those top-spec TVs are stunning. Sure the top spec Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player might just edge things out in terms of absolute picture quality, but as so much is governed by the performance of the TV it's attached to, we think most will find themselves entranced by the richness and detail that Ultra HD Blu-ray offers from the Xbox One S.

Soldato
Though the Martian and Life of Pi were two of the best production quality for 4k's ? but it would be interesting to know which of 4k releases are candidate for I will watch this more than once a year would have said in blue rays only Leon / 2001 / GrandBleu fall in this category.

Most discs are upscaled from a 2K DI (digital intermediate) and thus don't offer much in the way of increased detail over a regular bluray. The Martian falls into this category. These discs still benefit greatly from WCG and HDR though.

The best discs are 4K throughout the entire production process. I'd say the three 'reference' quality titles at present are The Revenant, Deadpool and X-Men Apocalypse.

Soldato
If they sorted bitstreaming out for the Xbox I would have got one to use as a UHD player but they are dragging their heels with that.

Soldato
I just searched and apparently they have rolled it out in early form today! In which case I am seriously tempted to buy a One S over a standalone machine which is what I was intending to do.

Soldato
Blu-ray: £16.99
4K UHD Blu-ray: £69.99!

single UHD disks are on sale from £15-£25 which imo is reasonable given you get the standard BR in majority of them also.

Obviously the above is because the BR of those films have already been issued previously (as seperate purchases), and so this is just a re-issue - but the UHD is the original release so therefore much higher . Not exactly a fair comparison when looking at the market as a whole.

Soldato
single UHD disks are on sale from £15-£25 which imo is reasonable given you get the standard BR in majority of them also.

Obviously the above is because the BR of those films have already been issued previously (as seperate purchases), and so this is just a re-issue - but the UHD is the original release so therefore much higher . Not exactly a fair comparison when looking at the market as a whole.

and dont forget 4k discs are region free so you can shop worldwide for prices.

I think that got beaten by Pacific Rim ..... And from all accounts the 4k player on a xboxone is pants .... Its no game changer like the ps3 was for blu ray , which is a shame .

I was thinking of getting that is it worth it ? Already got Deadpool and I didnt really like X Men Apocalypse, it was okay just didnt like the story. Looking forward to Logan tho.

actually just noticed this site

http://realorfake4k.com/
and according to that site Pacific Rim is not shot in full 4k. http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/pacific-rim/ interesting reference site if its for real no pun intended.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the thoughts on the xbox one s then as a 4k player? I don't want to cheap out and end up having to buy another box if I'm not happy.

Soldato
I was thinking of getting that is it worth it ? Already got Deadpool and I didnt really like X Men Apocalypse, it was okay just didnt like the story. Looking forward to Logan tho.

actually just noticed this site

http://realorfake4k.com/
and according to that site Pacific Rim is not shot in full 4k. http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/pacific-rim/ interesting reference site if its for real no pun intended.

Pacific Rim is upscaled from a 2K DI so the main benefits are WCG and HDR, which it does benefit from a lot due to the vibrant colours involved but it doesn't have the ultimate quality of a proper 4K title.

Not many titles are fully 4K throughout the production process. X-Men Apocalypse is one and, whilst a very average film, looks utterly amazing on 4K Bluray with the combination of detail and colour making an amazing combination.

Soldato
Not many titles are fully 4K throughout the production process. X-Men Apocalypse is one and, whilst a very average film, looks utterly amazing on 4K Bluray with the combination of detail and colour making an amazing combination.

laughs - I got caught out by this kind of thing when BR's first came out, and would buy anything just to see the quality of BR , admittedly often without reading reviews of the transfer quality, and I spent an absolute fortune on average transfers and or on films Im only likely to watch once.

Ive sworn to myself I wouldnt do this for UHD........well it lasted a few months anyway

I just bought Star Trek Into Darkness - thinking this was the newest , 3rd, film rather than the middle one I didnt really like)......only to discover I was thinking of "Beyond" and deciding to watch it anyway hahaha

Saying that I have turned down the chance to buy that XMen film plenty of times from my local tesco's along with the much more recent Warcraft which I think appeared this week.

(not sure if Im allowed to say this - "A polished **** is still a ****") :)

Have got The Shallows coming as well though, so at least thats something - Im just dying for "The Abyss" to be released in the new year, one of my favourite films of all time.

Caporegime
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do as well. Most of the UHD movies currently available, I would never have bought on standard blu-ray so there's no point me getting the UHD versions either.

And the ones I don't mind owning aren't going to show off what the format can really do - Goodfellas for instance.

Back
Top Bottom