• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x Temp

Associate
what values do you put in the curve Optimizer? The first time I tried it worked but then started crashing so I removed them.

Sorry, I don't want to trash the thread!
I got my 5800X up to 5200Mhz
5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer | Overclockers UK Forums

What is the metrics overlay you're using there? I like it.
It is actually MSI Afterburner with RTSS Overlay Editor. Here is one I posted on nexus with Cyberpunk with quick start instructions.
CyberPunk 2077 OSD at Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus - Mods and community

Caporegime
Mine also hits 90c in Cinebench, or did, i thought it was the cooler, Gammaxx L120 AIO.

So i decided to go completely over the top with the cooler and got an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 and was surprised to see it still running 80 - 85c. I did a lot of googling, a lot of people are complaining about 'superficially' Ryzen 5800X temps and a lot of people citing AMD's Robert Hallock who says its doing exactly what its supposed to do.

Its apparently tuned to keep boosting until it reaches those sort of temperatures and when you look at the difference between the 5600X, 5900X, 5950X they all top out at around 4.3Ghz all core in heavy loads, the 5800X will go all the way to 4.7Ghz, the 5800X is the one seemingly AMD have set to just go for it, Anand did some testing on it and found while the 5600X, 5900X and 5950X use up to about 10 / 11 Watts per core the 5800X is using about 14 / 15 Watts per core with volts around 1.4 to 1.5v.

So its normal, its just a crazy lunatic sort of chip. its running around swivel eyed licking windows....

Soldato
Bought another 5800x and this one already runs much cooler.

Seeing temps down in the low 30's at idle. My other one was always mid 40's.

Having two web pages open watching videos I was always in the 50's, now with new one I'm around 35 - 40c

Cinebench no longer instantly shoots to 90c. It gradually climbs and reached a peak of 86c at stock. So there is something going on here between CPUs.
I presume every other single detail stayed the same, like same BIOS and settings, OS etc? If so then that is quite interesting. I suspect as time goes on then more info on the difference you're seeing may come to light as that is quite a variation for a 'non faulty' CPU running at stock.

My 5800X is more like your 2nd one in that the max it will go to is ~84c in CBr20 and takes a little while to get there. This is with a Noctua D15 and PBO enabled with CO and running at 5.0Ghz.

Associate
My 5950x was running 63C with Arctic Liquid Freezer AIO under load. As soon as I started playing around with PBO and increased all those power limits, temps jumped up, though still are keeping around 74C. So PBO is the main heat source.

Without PBO 5950x was around 20C cooler under load than my 3900x (no PBO) under same Noctua D15 cooler.

Associate
OP
I presume every other single detail stayed the same, like same BIOS and settings, OS etc? If so then that is quite interesting. I suspect as time goes on then more info on the difference you're seeing may come to light as that is quite a variation for a 'non faulty' CPU running at stock.

My 5800X is more like your 2nd one in that the max it will go to is ~84c in CBr20 and takes a little while to get there. This is with a Noctua D15 and PBO enabled with CO and running at 5.0Ghz.

Correct. All I changed was the CPU. Even used the same thermal paste from the same tube.

So I find it interesting that they say it is normal to run that hot yet there are ones that run much cooler.

Associate
I haven't used any thermal paste, just left the one that came with the AIO Cololer Corsair AIO H100i , and with my Ryzen 7 5800x with 3% CPU usage the package temperature is around 48 C with . I haven't tested yet with Cinebench and I don't have any intake fan ( should arrive soon). Do you think I should apply properly the thermal paste(I have Artic Silver 5) or wait if that changes with intake fans ?

Associate
Could I check with you guys if you dont mind just set my 5800x up yesterday so all totally stock only thing I have changed is memory my temps are as follows in Ryzen master

Idle fluctuates between 32c/34c
Cinebench R23 80/81c
Games 59c

using a H100x with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Thanks

Caporegime
Could I check with you guys if you dont mind just set my 5800x up yesterday so all totally stock only thing I have changed is memory my temps are as follows in Ryzen master

Idle fluctuates between 32c/34c
Cinebench R23 80/81c
Games 59c

using a H100x with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Thanks

That's normal, the 5800X does run hot, its meant to, its tuned to boost and boost and boost... until its reaches these sort of temperatures, we are all getting around 80 to 90c in high loads. :)

Associate
That's normal, the 5800X does run hot, its meant to, its tuned to boost and boost and boost... until its reaches these sort of temperatures, we are all getting around 80 to 90c in high loads. :)

Thankk for the reply fella, been used to intel for so long it's all quite confusing :)

Back
Top Bottom