• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x Temp

Associate
I have done a lot of reading and searching. Yet to find anyone that had this issue say they fixed it.

So what is causing my 5800x to immediately hit 90c when I start Cinebench r20?

It seems no matter how I adjust my bios it always hits the same temp in seconds. Is it a faulty CPU or MB?

Right now I enabled Precision Boost. I have it set to +200mhz and -20 on all cores in Curve Optimizer.

Still did nothing to the temps. Holds around 4550mhz all core during the run.

HWMonitor shows a max vCore of 1.488v and a max VDD of 1.531v. It seems to hold around 1.312v while doing the multicore run.

When gaming it is usually around 77c. I know these temps are listed as "ok" but I see others having way lower temps with the same CPU...

Using an Asus Strix b550-f Motherboard and a Corsair h115i 280mm AIO. The AIO is top mounted with fans exhausting out. Has 2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust fan.

If I missed any other info needed let me know. Thanks for any help/input!

Associate
So what is causing my 5800x to immediately hit 90c when I start Cinebench r20
Not a bug, its a "feature"

5800X is unlike other Zen 3 processors in that it has almost unconstrained power budget. 5600X has 65W to play with, 5900X and 5950X need to divide 105W between two chips.
5800X can feed all 105W into single tiny 8core chip. Makes it boost more agressively, and as a side effect, really concentrates heat output. Which means even top of the top coolers will be hitting at least 80C. Just physics of heat transfer

One way to remedy it is to lower PPT limit from default 142W (I think thats default). Single-core and low threaded performance will remain, but all-core won't be hitting smelting temperatures. Try 120W or 110W.

Or just accept it, trust CPU knows its limits, adjust fan curve so it doesn't go to crazy speeds.

Associate
Not a bug, its a "feature"

5800X is unlike other Zen 3 processors in that it has almost unconstrained power budget. 5600X has 65W to play with, 5900X and 5950X need to divide 105W between two chips.
5800X can feed all 105W into single tiny 8core chip. Makes it boost more agressively, and as a side effect, really concentrates heat output. Which means even top of the top coolers will be hitting at least 80C. Just physics of heat transfer

One way to remedy it is to lower PPT limit from default 142W (I think thats default). Single-core and low threaded performance will remain, but all-core won't be hitting smelting temperatures. Try 120W or 110W.

Or just accept it, trust CPU knows its limits, adjust fan curve so it doesn't go to crazy speeds.

I see you are running the artic freezer AIO.. what sort of temps you getting and voltages you running? i got the 360 atm an need an idea on how to tune my cpu!

Associate
To verify your temp validity you need to disable all the PBOs, leave it at auto boost, and then try.
Also while running cinebench, and if still seeing 90C, touch the AIO pipes and radiator itself. With 90C temps water should be quite hot even further away from the CPU socket, and same with radiator. Fans should be pushing hot air out with such temps. If pushed out air is just a bit warmish and pipes are just a bit warm, you have bad contact between AIO and the cpu. If everything is boiling hot, then maybe that AIO cannot cope with the powah of Zen 3 :D
I use Arctic Freezer for my 5950x, and it keeps it at 63C while folding@home ;)

Associate
To verify your temp validity you need to disable all the PBOs, leave it at auto boost, and then try.
Also while running cinebench, and if still seeing 90C, touch the AIO pipes and radiator itself. With 90C temps water should be quite hot even further away from the CPU socket, and same with radiator. Fans should be pushing hot air out with such temps. If pushed out air is just a bit warmish and pipes are just a bit warm, you have bad contact between AIO and the cpu. If everything is boiling hot, then maybe that AIO cannot cope with the powah of Zen 3 :D
I use Arctic Freezer for my 5950x, and it keeps it at 63C while folding@home ;)

I Also use the arctic freezer 360. ill take pbo off and have a look. even without pbo enabled its showing the cpu receiving 1.488v :eek:

Soldato
I have the same 5800X and mobo. I also hit 90 in R20, 83 in R23 with an AOI cooler. It's not unusual at the very least. As said above, lowering TTP to 120 or below will lower temps without much sacrifice in performance. The +200 MHz you have added will be adding more heat too, stating the obvious here but more speed = more heat.

Associate
I'm suprised you can run +200 with -20! I must have a dud, I can do at most +50 with -20! That does amount to 4.65 all core load atleast

Associate
OP
I should have mentioned that I got the same temps even with everything stock.

My temps are 40 - 55c at idle or when browsing the web. I reapplied the heatsink already, and I used this very same AIO on my 9700k that was overclocked to 5ghz all core.

My main thing is I have seen others post having lower temps with the same or even worse cooling. So why are there so many that hit 90c instantly and others that don't?

Associate

My temps are 40 - 55c at idle or when browsing the web. I reapplied the heatsink already, and I used this very same AIO on my 9700k that was overclocked to 5ghz all core.

My main thing is I have seen others post having lower temps with the same or even worse cooling. So why are there so many that hit 90c instantly and others that don't?

What power are you pulling under all core load? PPT wise

Soldato

Those are also in line with my temps. I've never seen it lower than 40 either at stock or with my tweaking. I shared your frustrations at first. I even splashed out £150 on the new Phanteks 360 AIO cooler is I was using the wraith prism air cooler before hand. That bought me 10 degrees to play with which made all the difference in terms of being able to push performance as apposed to trying to keep temps in check. I've made my peace with the temps now.

Soldato
Crank the pump and fans to 100% and see if that makes a difference if it doesn't then it could be bad contact either due to the mounting or a bad CPU IHS.

Associate
OP
What power are you pulling under all core load? PPT wise

It seems to hover around 130w during multicore Cinebench r23 run.

Those are also in line with my temps. I've never seen it lower than 40 either at stock or with my tweaking. I shared your frustrations at first. I even splashed out £150 on the new Phanteks 360 AIO cooler is I was using the wraith prism air cooler before hand. That bought me 10 degrees to play with which made all the difference in terms of being able to push performance as apposed to trying to keep temps in check. I've made my peace with the temps now.

Yeah I thought about upgrading to a 360 AIO. Since my 280 Corsair is like 4 years old now I think. Though I don't know if it would really make a difference or not.

Associate

Might be worth posting a pic of your case and setup to see how the air flow direction is configured. Those temps do seem a little high. You're running 50mhz more than I am, but even letting my chip pull over 160w it never reaches 90 degrees... and your aio is better than mine for performance.

Associate
OP
Might be worth posting a pic of your case and setup to see how the air flow direction is configured. Those temps do seem a little high. You're running 50mhz more than I am, but even letting my chip pull over 160w it never reaches 90 degrees... and your aio is better than mine for performance.

I can try to grab a pic later. I have a good configuration I would think. Its a Corsair Air 540 case. With 2 140mm front intake, 2 140mm top exhaust (AIO) and 1 140mm rear exhaust.

Associate
My 5800x at stock hits 82 on cinebench r23 idles at 40ish. Have a Corsair h150. Put it in eco mode and idles at 30 and max I’ve got in r23 is 58’c

Associate
OP
Would like to pull the heatsink off and see how the thermal paste looks. Problem is, I can't get it to pull off without ripping the CPU out with it.

Any ideas how to safely remove it? It twists fine, but it's almost like glue or something because it is really strong.

It wasn't that strong when I used it on my 9700k but that was a few years ago. Maybe the paste is just to old and more sticky or something?

Back
Top Bottom