• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x Temp

Soldato
Would like to pull the heatsink off and see how the thermal paste looks. Problem is, I can't get it to pull off without ripping the CPU out with it.

Any ideas how to safely remove it? It twists fine, but it's almost like glue or something because it is really strong.

It wasn't that strong when I used it on my 9700k but that was a few years ago. Maybe the paste is just to old and more sticky or something?
Stress pc to warm paste then turn pc off and then try removing by twisting should ease off easily then

Associate
OP
Stress pc to warm paste then turn pc off and then try removing by twisting should ease off easily then

I tried that, and it still won't come off. It twists easily back and forth but when I try to pull it up it won't budge.

I already ripped the CPU out of socket once. Luckily I didn't bend a single pin. I don't want to test my luck a second time lol.

Never had this issue with Intel....

Soldato
I tried that, and it still won't come off. It twists easily back and forth but when I try to pull it up it won't budge.

I already ripped the CPU out of socket once. Luckily I didn't bend a single pin. I don't want to test my luck a second time lol.

Never had this issue with Intel....
Strange try twisting and a little wobble should come off

Associate
With my 5800x (PBO) with a Zelman CNPs20x (65% fan speed) I see:

30c Idle
60c in games
80c cinabench

So i think its just the cpu im happy with my temps in windows and games as its still a lot less than my old H100 and a 5930K

Associate
Right now I enabled Precision Boost. I have it set to +200mhz and -20 on all cores in Curve Optimizer.

That alone will add more heat.

All of Zen 3 cpu's tend to run hot, and they run high volts during lightly threaded tasks. Seeing in the region of high 1.4's and 1.5 is normal. And around 1.2-1.3 during heavily mutli-core tasks like running cinebench.

If you've not done it already you could tweak the PPT TDC and EDC values.

What have you set them to? Have you set them to "motherboard" or set them manually? If you want to know what they are set to (if it shows as Auto in bios), and what they are using then check Ryzen Master while running Cinebench for example.

Stock for a 105w tdp cpu is 142a PPT, 95a TDC and 140a EDC.

Try and lower them slightly.

For me when I set PBO limits to motherboard it cranked PPT to 1000, and EDC and TDC to 250 lol. Lowering them netted the same performance but I saved 10c on load temps.

To manage expectations though these processors won't run heavy multi-core tasks at 50 degree temps unless you have exotic cooling.

With a typical aio or air cooler I'd expect anywhere between mid to high 70's to high 80's.

And depending on the game 50-75 degrees. It makes me laugh when I see some people say they get 50 degree temps when gaming, yeah they might but not in all games. If I play a game like mad max my cpu temp is about 50 degrees, but Cyberpunk and I'm at low 70's.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That alone will add more heat.

All of Zen 3 cpu's tend to run hot, and they run high volts during lightly threaded tasks. Seeing in the region of high 1.4's and 1.5 is normal. And around 1.2-1.3 during heavily mutli-core tasks like running cinebench.

If you've not done it already you could tweak the PPT TDC and EDC values.

What have you set them to? Have you set them to "motherboard" or set them manually? If you want to know what they are set to (if it shows as Auto in bios), and what they are using then check Ryzen Master while running Cinebench for example.

Stock for a 105w tdp cpu is 142a PPT, 95a TDC and 140a EDC.

Try and lower them slightly.

For me when I set PBO limits to motherboard it cranked PPT to 1000, and EDC and TDC to 250 lol. Lowering them netted the same performance but I saved 10c on load temps.

To manage expectations though these processors won't run heavy multi-core tasks at 50 degree temps unless you have exotic cooling.

With a typical aio or air cooler I'd expect anywhere between mid to high 70's to high 80's.

And depending on the game 50-75 degrees. It makes me laugh when I see some people say they get 50 degree temps when gaming, yeah they might but not in all games. If I play a game like mad max my cpu temp is about 50 degrees, but Cyberpunk and I'm at low 70's.

Even at stock my cpu hit 90c in Cinebench in like 5 seconds still. I had PBO limits set to motherboard, then back to auto with no difference either way. That's why I feel like something else is going on. There are so many with the same issue and others that run normal.

I was going to get some new thermal paste and double check that, but I can't get the heatsink off the CPU without ripping it out of the socket lol.

Associate
Even at stock my cpu hit 90c in Cinebench in like 5 seconds still. I had PBO limits set to motherboard, then back to auto with no difference either way. That's why I feel like something else is going on. There are so many with the same issue and others that run normal.

I was going to get some new thermal paste and double check that, but I can't get the heatsink off the CPU without ripping it out of the socket lol.

With regards to removing the heatsink, I just got the cpu hot for about 10 minutes and the cooler came off easily.

I was doing non-stop cinebench runs to get it up to temp and removed the cooler minutes after.

What thermal paste is it? Some are worse than others when it comes to trying to remove it. Literally like cement even if you warm it up.

Also you may already know this but avoid lifting the heatsink off, just twist gently until you feel it come loose. Often cpu's are pulled out of their socket because the heatsink is pulled upwards too early.

With regards to PBO limits, have you checked what Auto actually sets it to? Use ryzen master to check.

I found as soon as I enabled PBO overdrive it raised all 3 of my limits at Auto. Motherboard just raised them even higher. PBO limits make a MASSIVE difference to temperatures.

Reducing them too much will also reduce performance, so the key is finding a balance between performance and temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
As mentioned before it has a small die surface area where all the heat is generated and so it is likely just tricky to dissipate it and perhaps magnifies any inconsistencies in the cooler mounting. Mine hits 83C during R20 run with everything at stock and is idling atm at 39C using NH D15 cooler in 20C ambient room.

Associate
OP
Pulled heatsink off and reapplied paste. No change. Still instantly hits 90c in Cinebench and is over 50c just watching a video on youtube.

HWinfo shows during Cinebench r20 my TDC was at 82.4 A, EDC 153.8 A and Package Power at 131w.

Soldato
Pulled heatsink off and reapplied paste. No change. Still instantly hits 90c in Cinebench and is over 50c just watching a video on youtube.

HWinfo shows during Cinebench r20 my TDC was at 82.4 A, EDC 153.8 A and Package Power at 131w.
This is exactly what I was getting at stock; 90 in Cinebench and around 50 or more even with just browing youtube and the like. I think it's normal. Manually lowing your EDC to around 125 should help bring the temps down a bit without sacrificing performance. Lowering PPT to around the same should also lower temps although it may shave between 50-100 Mhz off your all core boost. Incidentally, I just transferred to a new case today, the full tower Phanteks Enthoo 719 and my temps dropped by 10-15 degrees for idles and light workloads, and by 5-6 degrees when flat out. I would never have thought a different case would make that kind of difference, particularly when my old case was a full tower too. Goes to show how much of a difference the air flow through the case can make...

Associate
OP
Bought another 5800x and this one already runs much cooler.

Seeing temps down in the low 30's at idle. My other one was always mid 40's.

Having two web pages open watching videos I was always in the 50's, now with new one I'm around 35 - 40c

Cinebench no longer instantly shoots to 90c. It gradually climbs and reached a peak of 86c at stock. So there is something going on here between CPUs.

Associate

Having two web pages open watching videos I was always in the 50's, now with new one I'm around 35 - 40c

Cinebench no longer instantly shoots to 90c. It gradually climbs and reached a peak of 86c at stock. So there is something going on here between CPUs.

When you say you bought another, did you RMA the one you were having high temps with?

Associate
Just to ask, what AGESA version does OP (or others in the thread) run?

My chip is on a custom loop, and when I got it, the temps were pretty good. Ran AGESA 1.1.9.0 with the initial BIOS. Updated BIOS to latest, AGESA 1.2.0.0 and now my temps are higher all of a sudden.
As the update "improves stability", I'm wondering if the voltage floor has been raised or something, perhaps to help against idling crashes?
Going to do an experiment later and flash back to the previous version...

Associate
Just for the record my 5800x also reach 90C in a few seconds running R20. I am not worried as normal operation and gaming are usually below 80C but normal temps when surfing are also high and around 50c!

As said before, this is the only one with the 8 cores in the same CCX so the hottest of all-new Ryzen!

Last edited:
Associate

So you getting better temps now with the new one? What did you do with the old one? return for the warranty because of the hot temps? I have never use the warranty for a processor so I don't know how it works and how long it takes.

Asking because I am not very happy with my 5800x because of getting random crashes (on top of the high temps like you) but I am not sure if it is the Ryzen, the memory overclock which I removed yesterday to troubleshoot (BTW 4x8Gb sticks), or even the fairly new Radeon 5700 which runs also hot and many crashes happened during gaming. So I have been thinking about whether to buy another and/or return this for warranty. Also, I used CTR 2.0 for the first time yesterday, and apparently my chip is a bad one (bronze rated!) and can't even use the negative curve without crashing no matter the level.

Please to see your new one runs cooler. I might follow suit and buy another.

Associate
OP
When you say you bought another, did you RMA the one you were having high temps with?

I bought a second one. Then sent the other back for a refund since I still had time with the company I bought it from.

So you getting better temps now with the new one? What did you do with the old one? return for the warranty because of the hot temps? I have never use the warranty for a processor so I don't know how it works and how long it takes.

Asking because I am not very happy with my 5800x because of getting random crashes (on top of the high temps like you) but I am not sure if it is the Ryzen, the memory overclock which I removed yesterday to troubleshoot (BTW 4x8Gb sticks), or even the fairly new Radeon 5700 which runs also hot and many crashes happened during gaming. So I have been thinking about whether to buy another and/or return this for warranty. Also, I used CTR 2.0 for the first time yesterday, and apparently my chip is a bad one (bronze rated!) and can't even use the negative curve without crashing no matter the level.

Please to see your new one runs cooler. I might follow suit and buy another.

Yes I'm getting much better temps with the new one. It is still a hot CPU but not near as hot as the first one.

I did not do an RMA. I still had time to get a refund from the company I purchased it from. So I sent the first CPU back once I made sure the second one was working.

Back
Top Bottom