• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x to 5800x3D?

Soldato
This keeps itching at me.

I currently have a 5800x, MSI x570 board, 64gb 3600 RAM, AMD 7900xt, 1440p, 144hz monitor

System works great and has done for years.

It does everything I need really but....... There are two games PUBG and Cities Skylines 2 that I play that I know will benefit, even wuth the above system, my PUBG will drop down to maybe 100fps in action, down from 144 is somewhat significant.

And cities skylines 2 will literally eat whatever resources you can throw at it.

However, I'm trying to weigh it up, and as much as there are benefits, I also see a lot of negatives.

- my current 5800x CPU is a good one, it'll boost 5 GHz on all cores and doesn't go over 75c
- my current system is completely stable
- I'd would need to flash my bios, and there is always a risk doing that
- risk of changing hardware, damaging something etc - I am pretty experienced but there is always a risk
- risk of new CPU being a lemon (as in, bad batch/faulty)
- time (yes sounds lazy but taking your time to do it this will be a few hours)
- cost
- how ****** off with myself I will be if I do go ahead and something goes wrong

But........ I plan on keeping my system for years to come, this will ensure my current gen is basically maxed/future proofed as much as possible.

I need help!!!!!!!!

I can let you know in about a week or so.

I gave into this itch just this week and have a board arriving for a 7800X3D this week. I'm upgrading from a 5900x so if you don't get any clear answers I'm hoping to build the new system next weekend, I play PUBG to so will be the first game I test.

As the 5800X3D isn't far behind the 7800X3D should be a good indication for you.

This keeps itching at me.

I currently have a 5800x, MSI x570 board, 64gb 3600 RAM, AMD 7900xt, 1440p, 144hz monitor

System works great and has done for years.

It does everything I need really but....... There are two games PUBG and Cities Skylines 2 that I play that I know will benefit, even wuth the above system, my PUBG will drop down to maybe 100fps in action, down from 144 is somewhat significant.

And cities skylines 2 will literally eat whatever resources you can throw at it.

However, I'm trying to weigh it up, and as much as there are benefits, I also see a lot of negatives.

- my current 5800x CPU is a good one, it'll boost 5 GHz on all cores and doesn't go over 75c
- my current system is completely stable
- I'd would need to flash my bios, and there is always a risk doing that
- risk of changing hardware, damaging something etc - I am pretty experienced but there is always a risk
- risk of new CPU being a lemon (as in, bad batch/faulty)
- time (yes sounds lazy but taking your time to do it this will be a few hours)
- cost
- how ****** off with myself I will be if I do go ahead and something goes wrong

But........ I plan on keeping my system for years to come, this will ensure my current gen is basically maxed/future proofed as much as possible.

I need help!!!!!!!!
I did this and it is really game dependent. Most games will see big differences with your minimum frame rates. Supreme commander saw a performance drop. But it’s single threaded and loves clock speed. I saw a very slight improvement with higher frame rates at the res I play. I sold on my 5800x to cushion the costs. Over all go for it. The other thing I did is use pbo negative offsets so it runs cool as well.

Last edited:
I did this when my 5800X died, so i bought a 5800x3d to replace. So it wasnt really a concious decision to replace! It didnt cost me much as the original processor was still in warranty so i could sell the replacement as new.
I am pleased with the upgrade and everything is smoother with better minimums so less noticable frame rate drops. Its not earth shattering but a nice upgrade, if you plan on keeping for several years then its worth doing i would say.

Same position as yours, except I have a 3080 fe, forcing myself to wait for the 9800x3d and new boards, will also get the 5 series NVIDIA card when released (probably 5070).

Given I game at 1440p 165mhz max that will probably do me for good (I’m 56)

risk of changing hardware, damaging something etc - I am pretty experienced but there is always a risk

dont let that stop you, Im constantly fiddling with my system and the only thing that ever broke was a RAM slot years ago.

Last edited:
I’ve fried 2 ram slots and broken one. The broken one didn’t impact the other slots.

Most other things have strangely remained safe.

Back
Top Bottom