• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820k where's it stand today?

Soldato
I dont see the point spending money on a new pc if your not going to see much of a difference accept in benchmarking.. To me that's like setting fire to your hard earned money.

I'd prefer to see a proper 50% increase myself but that will probability be a combo of CPU + GPU. My research was based on game play averages rather than synthetic. I do impose a 75 fps cap (monitor @ 100Hz) anyway preferably within the game engine or externally via Afterburner. To me that has always helped with heat, noise and average frame rate from my experience. Then G-Sync can smooth out the odd low frame rate drop.

Associate
I also run a 5820K, (since December 2015, wow!) and have been wondering about an upgrade. It seems though that the replies here reinforce my feeling that there's not really any reason to bother at the mo.
3440x1440 runs great in just about every game and I have never seemed to be CPU bound.
I can't beleieve how well this chip has managed to keep going.

Caporegime
But it's more that £80 isn't it..

From a quick Google the 5960x is faster when overclocked. So would be a waste if time selling everything and going Ryzen.

You'd have a 5820K and board to sell. 2700 has some decent OC headroom and is a lot more efficient than the 5960X, and you'd get scope for a CPU upgrade or two with the same board.

Soldato
I'm not a regular here like I used to be but where does the 5820k stand at 4.4Ghz compared to current gen stuff.

Would I noticed any gains upgrading to current gen or am I still limited by my GPU at this point. Must say it's been a rock solid system. Gaming at 1440p on the monitor but sometimes do 4k gaming on the TV if it's a game I can use a controller for.

Easiest way to tell is to run Afterburner.

That will tell you if you are CPU or GPU bound.

I run an X5650 @ 4.4Ghz and I would have thought yours was the stronger CPU.

There is NOT ONE modern game I've run utilising multi-cores that even comes close to stretching my CPU on a 3440x1440 100Hz monitor.

They're all GPU bound with my 1070.

The most CPU usage I've seen gaming is with Assassin's Creed Origins at around 60+% with 100% GPU and I suspect a lot of that is down to DRM.

Soldato
You'd have a 5820K and board to sell. 2700 has some decent OC headroom and is a lot more efficient than the 5960X, and you'd get scope for a CPU upgrade or two with the same board.

A load of messing for a downgrade. Not sure many care about a 10p a day (just a random low number)

But anyway let's not turn another thread into a I love AMD thread. Theres hundreds on this forum now

Caporegime
5820k overclocked is still better than any of the 2700 cpus in games. pointless move just keep what you have until upgrade is needed. probably get another 2 years out of it with a decent gpu.

Soldato
I'm not a regular here like I used to be but where does the 5820k stand at 4.4Ghz compared to current gen stuff.

Would I noticed any gains upgrading to current gen or am I still limited by my GPU at this point. Must say it's been a rock solid system. Gaming at 1440p on the monitor but sometimes do 4k gaming on the TV if it's a game I can use a controller for.

A 3700X and above would be a good upgrade.

Soldato
I'm on a 4790k and holding out until closer to PS5 release so I've got something new for Flight Simulator and Cyberpunk.

You're fine with the 5820k IMO for a while yet.

I was looking at the 3800x but it's not much faster than mine on single core.

Might even just get a new GPU and wait for DDR5.

Flight Sim is Xbox/PC exclusive unfortunately and only will be sold on Xbox Store.

Soldato
Flight Sim is Xbox/PC exclusive unfortunately and only will be sold on Xbox Store.

Are you talking about MS flight sim ? If you are, the PC version has been coded to run as many cores and threads as any CPU has. If you are part of the team, as i am, you will know that it's going to be one of the most core/thread dependent sims ever. Looks the doggies dangly's so far and will only get better until release.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat and still running my now 5 year old 5820k. It's surprising to think that after all this time there's little point in upgrading.

I will say that when I upgraded from an i7-920 to my i7-5820k in 2014 even then I want sure it was actually worth the money I spent to change. This time round I'm running my 5820k until there's literally something that it can't handle!

My next upgrade will be a new GPU to replace my geforce 980. The CPU should still have years in it IMO barring hardware failure. Even then it'd probably worth repairing rather than upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom